main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why is Luke Skywalker wearing Corellian Bloodstripes in the Yavin Cerimony?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jun 30, 2013.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's made even more ridiculous by the fact that Watto's T-14 only cost 100 gold peggats, which means about 4,000 credits (according to Secrets of Tatooine)!

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Wait what? 100 Gold Peggats for the part? Watto really was just being an idiot in that case, even with exchanges rates and fees he would be making an insane extra profit with the 20000 Dataries Qui-Gon is willing to hand him.

3. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Those who invented the exchange rate of one peggat for forty credits really did not think this through. Watto asking 100 gold peggats for the T-14 comes from the video game adaptation of Episode I: "You need a one hundred gold peggats if you want to buy a T-14 from me!"

In the very same game, some other prices seem a bit off too. A ticket for the Boonta Classic was 15 truguts, which is 150 credits. That's quite expansive if you compare it with some of the prices listed in the Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin. According to that book, a night in the most expansive hotel of Bespin cost 50-65 credits!

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Hutt coins are somewhat all over the place anyway, with Peggat, Trugut, Wupiupi and Druggat sometimes used interchangeable. Though Gold Peggats could be a separate currency then regular Peggats. Oh and I fully trust a ticket for the Boonta Classic is 150 Credits, as some people also pay several hundred Pounds for Formula 1 Tickets.

5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Secrets of Tatooine actually stated that 1 peggat = 4 truguts = 64 wupiupi = 40 credits, probably an attempt to fix the inconsistency. That makes sense, actually. In all fairness, the price of the ticket in the video game was "15 truguts", which I converted using the above exchange rate.

Although that theory is quite interesting, it's highly unlikely that thet gold peggat is a separate currency. In the video game, you're required to collect 50 gold peggats so you can bet with Watto, but when you acquire that money from Jabba, it's referred to as just "peggats."

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep, especially as 1 4 64 is rather fitting for Hutt counting ;) 8 Fingers and all.

Yep, funny enough if Peggats are 1/10 ounce gold coins 40 Credits fits just about perfectly (Gold being 10-15 credits per gram)

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Speaking of money...anyone ever find it odd that Hondo repeatedly refused Republic credits? Even if he is based where people prefer other means of payment, he has a ship and has deep into the Republic before. He could just use the credits to go and buy spice or some other desired commodity and then sell that in his home turf.

Or he can just move to a less ****y part of the galaxy.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Not really, Republic Credits are basically already worthless beyond the Inner Rim before the Clone Wars and certainly didn’t become more valuable during the war. Spice, which is what he favors because he has a background in Spice Trading and has the connections to turn it into pretty much anything he needs, also it is essentially untraceable.

Were the Republic would hunt him down and he does not have an established reputation and connections. ;)

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Star Wars Math: Jabba's Game Galaxy also introduced a slight discrepancy. Although the events of the game occur at some point before Episode I, the player earns credits at Jabba's Game Plaza in Mos Espa and trades with Watto using that currency.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Credits has always been explained as a general term for currency (afaik one of the WEG Rule books has a pretty nice explanation for it which I can upload on Friday once I am back home). Something you can also spot in Ep 1 when Qui-Gon says he had 20000 Dataries and Watto says that Republic Credits are no good. Republic and later Imperial Credits just happen to be the standard currency in most the eras covered, but Hutt money or any local money are just as much “Credits” just, not Republic/Imperial credits. Though I generally doubt the Math game is meant to be taken all too seriously. ;)

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm in favor of taking canon everywhere it can be found. In my book, any game can be considered canon once the game mechancics are removed (and unless it directly contradicts higher canon).

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    cthugha likes this.
  13. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    On the Yavin ceremony and Luke's pants, I'm of the opinion that there are many different styles of clothing in the Star Wars universe with millions of patterns created by many cultures, which is a fact. By just accepting that, you'd think one culture might put stripes (probably of varied colours) on simply because of fashion while the Corellians hold it as an award. Luke might simply be wearing clothing not of Corellian origin that happens to have stripes on the side of the pants similar to the Corellian Bloodstripes. It does not mean he has earned the honour, just that he looked for nice pants fit for a ceremony.

It's like clan patterns in Scotland and Ireland on kilts. Some patterns are made on shirts, skirts and other clothing because they look good. I have a shirt with the tartan of Clan Barclay. It doesn't mean I am of the clan -- it's just that I like the pattern.

Hell, he might even have seen Han as fashionable and worn pants with stripes because he liked them. I know I have bought clothing because a friend of mine had similar -- simply because I thought they looked awesome! I'm sure you guys have too. So we can relate, right?

Sarge and Gamiel like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    HAH!

Republic credits = worthless

Imperial credits = valued everywhere.

All those haters who say that the Empire never did anything for anyone should read that passage.

Gorefiend likes this.