main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Mace the only Jedi with a purple saber...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by brook_33, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    when there are just as many purple crystals in the cave as there are green and blue crystals? I think this is episode 14 of the Clone Wars series. It's the one where Luminara and Bariss are in the saber crystal cave. So why don't any other Jedi use purple crystals in their sabers?

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Continuity, not one of Tartakovsky's strong points.

From what I've heard, purple crystals are very rare. Mace was given his as a gift I think (was this in an issue of Tales?). But since Tales is classed as Infinities, it didn't happen in the canonical timelime.

BTW, does anyone think 'canonical' is a really funny word :D?

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    When it's used in a Star Wars forum, I think it's absolutely hysterical :p

Another EU interpretation is that the colour of the crystal doesn't determine the colour of the blade. Natural crystals will make either green or blue (but you won't find out until you turn the saber on) whereas synthetic crystals will make a red blade (Hence the bad fellas having red sabers because they construct theirs in secrecy - you can't just pop down the shops and buy Adegan crystals).

Although there are still obvious conflicts in this; Luke's green saber was made with a synthetic crystal yet it's still green (Shadows of the Empire). So who knows? :p

I read the story in Tales too, it was quite sweet. If you're looking for a non-EU answer though... you'll have to wait for Mace to give some kind of saber-soliloquy in RotS; because it hasn't been addressed yet. ;) (Didn't Mace's purple saber originally belong to Eeth Koth?)

Oh, and the real answer is: Sam Jackson has a mouth big enough to override SW protocol - he asked for one. :)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. phazeshifter

phazeshifter Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2005
    I thought it was because of his saber fighting style...? Thought I read about that somewhere. Anyway, Mara Jade had a purple saber long before Mace. She's got one in the Masters of Teras Kasi game for PS1 (1997). Maybe they just thought it looks cool.

5. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    I'm not asking why Mace has a purple lightsaber, I'm asking why others don't since there are tons of purple crystals in the cave.

6. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    The OS Databank says: The blade's color depends on the nature of the jewel it springs from

Note, the nature of the jewel, not the colour. Nice and ambiguous, eh? ;) So it could be down to the colour of the jewel(s) or whether or not they're synthetic. But judging by the number of purple jewels on Ilum, I'd go for synthetic ;)

But to underline what Guff said, Tartakovsky's not exactly hot on continuity. There's a few mistakes in here, but that's by no means all of them :p

Edit: long day, bad spelling :D

7. anakins_right_arm

anakins_right_arm Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    mace has a purple saber because when sam jackson signed on for the role he wanted to be different.. saw that on some interview on tv a long time ago

8. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I never noticed any sabers in the ewok movies? when did mace get one? :p

9. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Good call! [face_thinking]

10. Darth_Napoleon_MN

Darth_Napoleon_MN Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2004
    The reason the no other jedi has a purple lightsaber. Is because there name isn't Sameul L Jackson. It's that simple. He asked for it a GL gave him one.

11. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Whatever SLJ wants, he gets.

Maybe he used some natural and some synthetic crystals and the blue and red combined to make purple?

12. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Red+Blue=Purple. Sith use red. It's furhter proof that Mace betrays the Jedi :D

13. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    Let's try and keep this related to the Clone Wars series, not SLJ's request to Lucas. Don't you think the creators would have realized having tons of purple crystals didn't make sense.

14. phoenix-jedi

phoenix-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    The real reason behind his purple lightsaber as has been said is because it is the color Samuel L Jackson wanted. However- Jedi have every color lightsaber, it was just the first time Lucas caved in and actually let the Jedi have a different color in the film. Yaddle has a peach lightsaber, Adi Gallia and Even Piell both have crimson/red lightsabers, Cin Drallig and Plo Koon and many others have orange/yellow lightsabers and always have. Lucas however for decided to change all that for his films for whatever reason. And a little known fact the original color for Yoda's blade was always set to be gold...what happened there.

15. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I think you better get your facts straight before you post, phoenix-jedi.

16. phoenix-jedi

Feb 26, 2005
    What facts would those be? Everything I said there is the truth, go pick up a comic if you don't believe me.

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Lucas didn't intervene when the prequel comics and action figures started showing Skittles sabers. Bad move on his part; he could have had it worked out once and for all. But if you read the comics, the novels and play with the figures (well, kids do, and I guess some were confused where that "I want one, too"-yellow-Plo Koon saber was in ep2) and the video games, you expect the whole rainbow.

I posted in the lit forum some weeks ago that I believe it's some ritual thing... there could be many purple sabers, but Mace is the leader of a united front against the Sith (who only use red), therefore he gets purple. Blue and green are traditional mainstream. Another thing doesn't make sense to me.

That one comic showed Mace as a reckless Padawan, going for a rare purple crystal to get a unique saber. But why should one short comic outweigh about ten comics that show Mace with a blue saber around the time of ep1, and Saesee Tiin with a purple one?

And as for the fighting style, EU has stated that another guy also uses this rare Vaapad style - and he's got green. CW doesn't state that Mace has a special style, only that he's good.

I wouldn't tackle this question just by looking at the series... it doesn't show all that many sabers, so there might be others who took the purple crystals. In the end, REAL LIFE REASON, I'd say they didn't think about the ratio of saber colours when they designed that episode...

18. phoenix-jedi

Feb 26, 2005
    Plo Koon's lightsaber was most definetly green (by error on G.L.'s part) in Ep. 2

Mace's purple crystal although rare is not the only one out there and doesn't have anything to do with his position it was simply a gift.

Vaapad is Mace's creation. It is the 7th form of saber combat which he himself created and developed which hinges on the brink of the dark side by allowing urself to flow between the light and dark side. The saber form is the most powerful of them all and is almost unstoppable when mastered. His padawan Depa Bilaba is the only student who has mastered the abiliity and though a couple other people who are learning it but have not mastered it. Vaapad is dangerous not only on the person its being used upon but the user because of hte influence hte dark side takes on you. And in some cases like Sora Bulq it can pull you into darkness.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Samuel L. Jackson Requested a Purple Saber and Lucas just said sure. Then you see in Attack of the Clones and Sith.

20. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Again, we are not looking at why Mace has a purple saber, we're looking at why nobody else does.

21. phoenix-jedi

Feb 26, 2005
    other people do....in the EU, not many but there are quite a few others, however, Lucas wanted Mace to see special and thus let him have the only purple simple as that.

22. GrUnT_HUNTER

GrUnT_HUNTER Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    Thats very interesting. I really hope that someone has a yellow lightsaber in Episode 3.

We should start a petition to have a yellow saber, even though the movie is almost out :(

The three main colors are: Red, Blue, Yellow

I was taught that, so why not have a yellow saber?

23. DarthAntonio

DarthAntonio Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    in kotor, some1 on Dantooine states that, the purple crystal is restricted to force users of, some sort of darkside prophecy!

24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I wonder if Sam Jackson would have asked for purple if there hadn't been green sabers at all, if the good guys always had had blue...
    ...or for this instance, when the "misconception" among us fans began that there all colors are possible? Maybe with the first Luke action figure (which had a yellow saber)?

About this gift: Who gave the crystal to Mace, if it was a gift? Dooku ;) ? "Now that I'm leaving the order, I have a special gift for you. This, old friend, is a special purple crystal that will make you embrace the dark side... err... you didn't hear that."

25. phoenix-jedi

Feb 26, 2005
    In one of the comics when Mace is a child (a teen) -granted for him even being that young didn't matter - at age 13 he was on the council, he visited a planet where he defeats a rock people and then feels bad and reconstructs him. As a gift the people give him a handful of purple crystals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.