main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Mara considered a Jedi Master?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I mean, let's think about it. Her Force history:

She is given some very marginal instruction by Palps, enough so that she's a good agent but not enough that she's a threat or anywhere near Jedi level. Then, for the next few years, he Force skills atrophy to almost nothing. She meets Luke, who awakens her skills again and they come back to her a little. Then she receives tutelage from Kyle, learns all she can, after which she goes to the Praxeum for a couple of weeks. At this point she may or may not be considered at the skill level of a Jedi. Then, for years, she leaves behind the Jedi stuff and just runs the Smugglers' Guild or whatever. She may use the Force during this time, but certainly not at the level of a Jedi. Then come the events of HoT, and suddenly when they get married she's to be considered a Jedi and have a Jedi ceremony. Then, she spends at least a portion of the YJK years cavorting with Mirax and presumably not acting the Jedi, and then suddenly in NJO she's a Master. Why?

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Plot device :D

wk

3. Mrlssi

Mrlssi Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2002
    First anyone married to Luke with the slightest jedi skills would be considerd as a jedi.

She trained with Luke right before and when they were married.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Nepotism has its privileges. [face_plain]

Mara Jade is not a Jedi Master in any traditional sense of what one is, she is a "New Jedi Master," of a "New Jedi Order." Obviously standards for this New Jedi Order have pretty much been lowered into the crapper for her to ever be considered a Jedi and/or Jedi Master by anyone. [face_plain]

5. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    First anyone married to Luke with the slightest jedi skills would be considerd as a jedi.

Being married to Luke has nothing to do with being a Jedi. Being a Jedi isn't about being able to use the Force, it's about having the discipline to use it right. Luke has nothing to do with it.

She trained with Luke right before and when they were married.

Ok, so she should be a learner or a Knight, but certainly not a Master.

6. Mrlssi

Mrlssi Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2002
    I did not mean master.

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Nepotism has its privileges.

Ah, sweet nepotism :D

8. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    If I said the real reason, I'd be banned. So I'll just wink and nod suggestively. ;)

:p

9. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    LOL

gods you people are hilarius!!

10. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Face, I know what you're saying :)

11. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    1. Luke spent more personal time training Mara than he would have for his other students.

2. She is the wife of the greatest Jedi Master in the Galaxy. (that will increase the expectations other Jedi have of her abilities, whether she deserves it or not)

3. Mara took on an apprentice.

4. The title of Jedi Master is self declared in the NJO and Mara was just feeling particularly arrogant one day.

5. RAS made an incorrect assumption. (I believe he described Mara as a Jedi Master once or twice)

Individually, these reasons don?t explain anything. Together, they still aren?t good enough to make Mara a true Jedi Master, but they are good enough to make Mara having the title of ?Jedi Master? more acceptable, IMO.

12. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<3. Mara took on an apprentice. >>

Has nothing to do with it.

wk

13. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Why do you think apprentices are supposed to call their masters ?master?? It is usually assumed that a Jedi taking on an apprentice is either a Jedi Master, or worthy of the title in one way or another.

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Id say youd need to finish his/her training. Mara didnt

15. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    I get what your saying, JediJSolo. There is a difference between the title "Jedi Master" and the actual skill in the force that would make one a Jedi Master. Your reasons show how she potentially got the title, but do not show that she gained the skill to actually deserve the title.

So...what Mara has is a title, nothing else. She is not a true Jedi Master in my mind.

16. Jedi_Andrew_Solo

Jedi_Andrew_Solo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    I am with Face...

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because she's the master of nagging, henpecking, and bitca-ness... :)

I also agree with Face...

18. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    What I find funny about the whole Jaina/Mara Apprenticeship scenario is that Jaina has been training nearly as long Mara. Who decided Mara was the Master and not the Apprentice? Oh wait....

:p

19. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Mara wasn't a Master until Dark Tide II. In Dark Tide I she's listed as a Jedi Knight, so it's not exactly as though she was "suddenly" a Jedi Master, she wasn't one at the beginning of NJO, so it did take a while.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    That's the problem - she did "just suddenly become one." What the heck did she do in Dark Tide that was worthy of her taking on the title? Trying to screw up Anakin Solo's view of the world, Jedi and the Force!?!

If she's a Jedi Master of anything, it's most likely as "Dark Jedi Master," and even then the real Dark Jedi Masters would point at her and giggle for taking on the title.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    "Mara wasn't a Master until Dark Tide II. In Dark Tide I she's listed as a Jedi Knight, so it's not exactly as though she was "suddenly" a Jedi Master, she wasn't one at the beginning of NJO, so it did take a while."

So, Mara became a Jedi Master while she was ill? While being hindered by her disease, I doubt she would have been able to ascend to the level of Master. I mean, if anything, her physical skill and mystical skills would be descending, not ascending.

She was ill during that time. Again, I don't see how she could have become a Master.

However, I agree with JediJSolo's theory in regards to how she attained the title of Master.

In my eyes, Mara is not a true Master, neither is Kyp Durron...though that could probably be argued.

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I have a sudden image of Vader giggling like school-girl. It?s actually rather disturbing.

23. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I don't know the entire story concerning Mara's growth into Masterhood, but I will prove once and for all that someone can be unbiased on these threads!

Mara is my favorite SW character next to only Luke, and I DON'T consider her a Jedi Master.

She's a great Jedi Knight, but she has not shown anymore skill or experience than any of the other Jedi Knights.

ps...A Jedi Knight can train a Padawan. Jaina might have been training to become a Jedi all of her life, but she's still young and Mara has both more life and battle experience. That just comes with age, I beleive. :)

24. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I think Mara has more power than people give her credit for. IMO that since she ran from being a Jedi for so long and that when she now uses the Force she doesn't use it in flashy displays like Kyp, people mistake that for barely being sensitive to the Force. She just likes to keep a low profile is all. Though I agree that since Corran, Kirana Ti, and Tionne aren't considered Masters then Mara shouldn't be one either. Kyp too, for that matter.

25. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I just think Mara's too immature to be a Jedi Master. When someone else has a problem she's always the first to step in and tell them everything they're doing wrong and why she'd be able to do it better (well, sometime's Corran beats her to it), but whenever she has a problem she gets all sulky and defensive and aggressive and whiny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.