main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Mara considered a Jedi Master?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donk270

donk270 Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2002
    I think the one point we are missing is this: In VOF, I believe Luke and Mara had a long discussion about why Mara had a kind of "block" on reaching her full Jedi potential. This of course was illustrated by Mara's lack of understanding of the winged creatures (forget their names). They then hit upon the idea that a Jedi could only fully become a Jedi Master by making some sort of enormous personal sacrifice. She gave up the Jade's Fire. This unlocked the entire scope of her potential in the Force. I think this would have a lot to do with Mara's rapid ascension to the rank of Master.

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    "My ship it hath crashed! I have blubbered babylike about it! And now, I am a Jedi!!!"

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Beofre Luke says "Look, I know we are just friends, but I straddled you earlier, and some of your crew said we made a good team. Now, despite the fact we may die, and time is of the essence, MARRY ME!" :)

4. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    "They then hit upon the idea that a Jedi could only fully become a Jedi Master by making some sort of enormous personal sacrifice."

I guess that would make Anakin Solo a Jedi Master :D.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    IAmtheDarkside...
    "'My ship it hath crashed! I have blubbered babylike about it! And now, I am a Jedi!!!'"

:D Yes - thanks for reminding us what a complete pile of poodoo that conversation from VotF and the ramifications of it on the characters of Luke and Mara was. [face_plain]

6. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    donk270 wrote:

They then hit upon the idea that a Jedi could only fully become a Jedi Master by making some sort of enormous personal sacrifice. She gave up the Jade's Fire.

Yes, the lamest thing ever written in a Star Wars novel. I remember laughing at this concept when I first read it.

It was a ship, for crying out loud.

Very weak logic.

7. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I think Zahn meant it as she was giving up her old life for her new one with the Jedi. Anyone might go through some grief when presented with a huge life change.

8. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    And she sacrificed it to save her, Luke and R2. So, saving your own skin makes you a Jedi :)

9. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001
    im not sure about it, but dont you become a master by training an apprentice to knighthood
    i havent read vector prime in a long time, but at the end didnt they say that all the solo kids had proven themselves as jedi knights
    so then by her apprentice becoming a knight she became a master
    more needs to be told of her private training with luke however, because im not sure she would have really been considered a knight herself
    but then again, luke had accelerated training by going through severe trials
    the same case can be argued for mara as well

10. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Reaper-I thought she did it so the Chiss wouldn't contact the IR and offer them the Hand of Thrawn. Its been awhile since I read those books so I'm not 100% sure of that.

11. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again. The title of ?Jedi Master? is self declared in Luke?s Jedi order. There is no evidence that I know of suggesting that it happens any other way.

Luke got some information in the Thrawn Trilogy that suggested that the title of ?Jedi Master? was self-proclaimed. Luke proclaimed himself to be a Jedi Master, and I have seen no evidence suggesting that any of his students have gained the title through any other means.

12. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I wasn't going to post in this thread - but just think about this - maybe there were too few Jedi Masters in Luke's Academy to teach. Maybe Mara just became one to help teach?

Or maybe the answer lies in a book that would have come between Union and Vector Prime.

And, the sacrifice thing was to become a Jedi, not a Jedi Master. She didn't fully become a jedi until probably around the time of "Union". Who knows? I don't really care how she became one, as long as she lives to see her son grow up.

13. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I wasn't going to post in this thread - but just think about this - maybe there were too few Jedi Masters in Luke's Academy to teach. Maybe Mara just became one to help teach?

We already know that the "Jedi Trainers" don't have to be masters. Kam, Tionne, and Streen have all been left in charge of the Academy and teaching at various times, without being Masters. And arbitrarily turning someone who's not ready into a Master so that they can teach others is a BAD idea.

Or maybe the answer lies in a book that would have come between Union and Vector Prime.

Running around with Mirax causing damage isn't the path to becoming a master either, methinks.

14. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    She isn't a Jedi Master. i think we should all write to DelRey and give them crap about it.

She's a Jedi, but she hasn't lived long enough in the ways of the force to be a Master, and she hasn't trained a Jedi to Knighthood. Obi-wan was a master, because he was good, did great things, and was a warhero. He spent his whole life being a Jedi. Mara doesn't qualify for this status. At all.

Mara is a Jedi, but no master. Sleeping with someone doesn't make their skills rub off on you. (No pun intended). Mara is a master because she's married to one.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A Jedi, OK I might just about be able to live with that.

A Jedi Master, WTF? Mara Jade? No, a thousand times no.

It is only in NJO Mara is even teaching having refused to point blank for the prior SIX years. Her apprenticeship of Jaina is extremely recent.

Mara does not display the character of a Master, she respects no one and is coercive to others and considers hertself to be forever correct. IATDS said it all when s/he said Mara is too immature in her emotional temperament.

I only really object to one of the 5 possible reasons JJS gave for Mara's title in NJO, that being that Luke would help his wife to hone her Jedi skills instead of training new Jedi, when it has been established that teaching is Luke's passion.

Jedi Ben

16. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Running around with Mirax causing damage isn't the path to becoming a master either, methinks.

That was just Stackpole's lame excuse for her absence through all the YJK books.

I don't believe it ever happened.

Yes, maybe Mara doesn't deserve to be a master.

Well, why is brainless Kyp a jedi master? I never read any heroic deeds done by him. Just letting all his pilots get killed (and then recruiting more) and destroying a planet. He doesn't deserve the title either.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This thread is about Mara, please leave Kyp to his own threads, of which there are many.

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Jedi_Liz...
    "That was just Stackpole's lame excuse for her absence through all the YJK books."

Agreed, but Stackpole shouldn't necessarily be blamed for giving Mara fans what they want. The vast majority of the rabid Mara fans who think it's so "kewl" that Mara and Mirax went around the galaxy kicking butt quite literally drool at the thought of such a thing happening. You know if the story were written telling about it, it would be popular and we'd be hearing how "kewl" it was. [face_plain]

19. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Well, why is brainless Kyp a jedi master? I never read any heroic deeds done by him. Just letting all his pilots get killed (and then recruiting more) and destroying a planet. He doesn't deserve the title either.

Mara - Training from 19 postANH, had long excursion with Mirax.

Kyp - JAT ends about 12 postANH. Kills Levethian. Dissapears for nine years.

He could have done ANYTHING there. Just because noone bothered to use him.

20. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    RF, he was in Darksaber, and in YJK

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I know, but Darksabre was before Levethian, and I estimate Levethian to be 14 afterANH. Add nine years, and you have 23, which is in the YJK area :)

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Kyp has done more in NJO than Mara to have greater claim to the title of Jedi Master.

Kyp needs a leader to follow, it oght to be Luke; since Luke has been prevented from leading by the dark side adepts known as Editors, Kyp has done the best he can and it is not that bad.

As for Kyp's deeds:
    *Risks life to destroy Death Star Prototype & Sun Crusher
    *Infiltrates Imperial Space & escapes to warn NR of Daala & Pelleon's attack.
    *Survives Vong attack at Helska to head back with inteligence by the skin of his teeth.
    *Rescues fellow Knight wurth Skidder from Vong captivity, Skidder would have been used by a Yammosk to learn everything about the Jedi.
    *Lead random strikes against the Vong, culminating in the attack on Sernpidal.

Kyp has accounted for a good few deeds, not as many as Luke but more than Mara.

HOWEVER as Mastadge has said, this is a Mara not Kyp thread, therefore defenders of Mara should desist from use of deflecting and isdirecting tactics. Talk of Kyp is effectively saying Mara is not that bad because she is the not the only one, so that, makes her actions OK? Let's reverse this, if you're attacking Kyp's actions and someone retorts that Mara is as bad, by way of defence, what is your reaction going to be? It ought to be to conclude that that statement is irrelevant to the case against the character.

Jedi Ben

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Leviathan is officially at "+13 ANH." With everything, there's a bit of judgement on whether you choose to take it as happening anywhere in the thirteenth year after ANH (+13.0 to +13.9) or accept a rounding approach (+12.5 to +13.4) - so there's still a pretty wide spread it can be placed in.

24. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    It would perhaps be of great help, if some of you guys could describe, how a "Master" should be.

You could as well ask the question, why Yoda, of whom we only heard: "Much anger in him." "Fear of the Dark Side is.", "If you once start down the dark path, forever it will dominate your destiny" and so on, is considered a Master.

And not only a Master, but the greatest Master ever.

25. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Jedi Ben: I only really object to one of the 5 possible reasons JJS gave for Mara's title in NJO, that being that Luke would help his wife to hone her Jedi skills instead of training new Jedi, when it has been established that teaching is Luke's passion.

I never said that he would help his wife with her Jedi skills instead of training new Jedi. I just said that he would probably work with his wife more than he would with his other students. I?m sure there are benefits to having a well trained wife? [face_mischief]
    j/k :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.