main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Mara considered a Jedi Master?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    It could be because she is one of the few people to be trained by someone who was around before the Fall of the Republic. Now, maybe she wasn't trained fully, and she did stop for pretty much 20 years, but it does count for somthing.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heheh nice gag JJS. To my mind training Mara would probably involve having to chooe not to train other students, but true, I was extrapolating from your list and info.

Perhaps one mark of a Master is a willingness to consier the possibility of being wrong, of being able to undertake criticial self-reflection, follow where it leads and act on its conclusions. Luke has done this. Kyp in DJ is starting the process of realising his errors, tracking them to their root cause and resolving to correct them and overcome own personal flaws. Does Mara show any potential for being able to do this? Given NJO books thus far, with the possible exception of BP, I have to say no, there is not even the slightest glimmering in fact.

Jedi Ben

3. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    FTeik Yoda stated that he had trained Jedi for over 800 years. I believe thats the correct number. Its been a while since I watch ESB and I don't have my tapes with me. That's more then enough experience to be considered a master.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    It's not in her character, whether it's NJO or otherwise. If Mara Jade were to suddenly be reasonable (or believeable or likeable) in NJO, then it would have to be classified as "character assassination," because she has never exhibited such traits in the past.

5. REBELNUTS

REBELNUTS Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    Of course Mara Jade is a Master, a Master of telling Luke what he does wrong. (Geez - surely the guys' got an inferiority complex by now with her around)

6. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    I think there's too many jedi who shouldn't be jedi in the NJO series.

7. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Perhaps she pulled an Obi-wan and passed on up from padawan to master. Of course, Obi-wan did spend his whole life learning under the order, was the first jedi to kill a sith lord in something like a millenia, and was all-in-all a cool jedi. Mara shares none of these charming qualities. :)

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I have a question or two that I would like answered. How long did Luke train before becoming a Jedi Knight? A Master?

Thanks. :)

9. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    I could be wrong and I'm sure others could add more inform answers but I think he was a Jedi Knight after he faced Vader in RoTJ. He was trained by Ben when they first met in ANH. I'm pretty sure he continued to practice what he learned from him. I don't think there is an amount of time given for the time he spent with Yoda. It couldn't have been long, a few days to weeks. It seem as if Luke was a fast learner. When he finished training his first students at the academy to the ranks of Jedi Knight he then became a master. I'm not sure how much time passed from RoTJ to JAT though. Not off hand anyway.

10. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Luke was trained 3 ASW4, and declared himself a master 11 ASW4

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    *ignites Lightsaber of truth which glows red in the darkness*

*Imperial March begins playing in the Background*

Imperial officer: Lord Charlemagne this is an unexpected pleasure, we are honored by your presence.

*heavy breathing from Charlemagne*

Charlemagne19: Why was I not informed of an EU debate in this sector?

Imperial officer: Uhhh sir, we didn't think it warranted your intention we...uhhh uhhh uhhh...

*grabs throat before falling over dead*

The reason for Mara Jade being considered a Jedi Master can actually be traced back to several EU sources I think and we shouldn't necessarily be too harsh on the girl's training which is more extensive than I think we give her credit for.

We already know that Mara Jade has an experienced grounding in a number of the things that are PHYSICAL parts of being a Jedi knight from her time as the Emperor's hand. Langages, Species, cultures, all things that make a person an effective insturment of the Emperor's will which was not only assaisinations if Maarek Steele, Luminya, and high Inquisitor Tremayne are any indication. The Emperor however quite obviously did not give her any SPIRITUAL training in the Force and even she admits that what she had was from "less than clean sources" in I, Jedi if not completely dark.

She had though the skills I think to be considered a Jedi Knight but without the spiritual training she required the emperor's will....it's entirely likely from her description of losing her abilities upon the Emperor's death she was "empowered" like Kam Solusar and Sedriss though equally likely disuse and a substantial time on Mykyr weakened them.

Certainly as a Smuggler aside from a direct understanding of how the galaxy's underbelly works she gained no especial clear insight that makes her worthy of being a jedi Master.

Now we are at the Hand of Thrawn trilogy where Luke Skywalker takes over her training as a Jedi Knight and begins it in the Last Command forest and she likely gets the beginnings of the work. Her execution of the Dark Jedi Clone Luuke skywalker frees her from the Emperor's command and her further destruction of Joruus C'boath shows her amazing potential as a Jedi Knight as she openly faces the Dark Side and is victorious.

One of the Trials of the Jedi as I recall

Surprisingly for her to be an EU master it is not the Jedi Academy that shows her training but Kyle Kataarn as the Emperor's evil holdsthe galaxy in it's grip she begins her training under a "Jedi Lord" who has learned much from the Jedi master Raan's spirit and is a reincarnation of the Great Jedi master Hoth.

Mara Jade in my mind shows herself to be worthy of the title of Jedi Knight when she faces down Kyle Kataarn in the mysteries of the Sith, controls her fear, and eventually brings back the Jedi Knight from the Path of the Dark Side.

Mara is not fully aware of her place in the Jedi though as she senses I think (and says so) that there is something intristically wrong with Master Skywalker's teachings and he has been wracked with both confusion and arrogance from his time with the Emperor.

Things from Knight Kyle that he should not be.

Departing the Academy much like Kyle Kataarn who I suspect too felt something was wrong with his teachings she soon fell out of the Jedi way and back with the Fringe but never I think fully because her investigations were far too selfless and her works far too clean even for Karrde. Her connection to the Force had grown too strong for that.

Mara Jade's true transformation from a Jedi to a Jedi Knight came with the test of Luke Skywalker where she sacraficed symbollically her freedom and embraced the way of the Jedi as a protector....ironically she went the exact opposite of most knights

Who embrace the way of the Jedi, are tempted by the Dark Side, overcome the Dark Side and becomes a Knight

Renouncing the Emperor in the Wedding Comic series Mara takes her first padawan in Jaina solo and trains her to knighthood which Rebel dream renounces apparently Dark Journey's saying she needed Kyp for her w

12. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Luke was trained 3 ASW4, and declared himself a master 11 ASW4

How was training in the Falcon under Obi-wan "3ASW4"?

Can someone give me the exact EU source where Luke declared himself a master. That is to say, what piece of fiction.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Luke Skywalker was officially proclaimed a Jedi Master for the first time in the Book "Dark Empire" which is ironically when he gives himself into the Emperor Palptaine, by then already using that title. If one were having to ask it is obvious Luke has come to terms with his need to restart the Jedi Order immediately and quickly with the advent of Grand Admiral Thrawn's clone Empire and I can't imagine that the process got any less urgent when the Emperor butchered billions in his year of ressurection

By the end he's already taken Leia as an apprentice, Ralf, Jem, and Kam Solusar

14. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Charlemagne 19, if you don't mind, could you please step back into this thread? Your presence has been sorely missed. :)

15. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    How was training in the Falcon under Obi-wan "3ASW4"?

Can someone give me the exact EU source where Luke declared himself a master. That is to say, what piece of fiction.

I didn't really count Luke's short lived training under Obi-Wan as "Jedi training" more just an introduction. And he was a Master asof Jedi Search.

16. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    Short lived or not he was still receiving Jedi training so it counts. He was being taught how to sense things, how to properly used a lightsaber and a few other things I believe.

17. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Subject's off track.

But, going from that, I don't consider Mara a Jedi Master. And, I don't think she's portrayed very well in the NJO series a lot of the time. Just like everyone, she tells Luke exactly what he's doing WRONG. And, he is doing a lot of things, not necessarily wrong, but not with enough leadership. Hence, the, SOS, SON OF SKYWALKER...thread that's been going on.

Mara is my second favorite character, but she's hard to write because there's a balance that has to be worked through. Mara can be nice, and she does make a very nice opposite for Luke's calmer personality, but in almost all the books, she's closed off to him, and cold. Mara used to be like that in the Thrawn Trilogy, but people change. Unfortunately, (with rare exceptions), the authors and editors can't find this balance and simply use her old personality. It's the whole, 'sexy, tough girl,' image everyone wants nowadays.

Blame society. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.