main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is most of ROTJ skipped over in Empire of Dreams

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by osum23, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osum23

osum23 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2003
    Dont get me wrong I enjoyed the documentary, but what is the deal with ROTJ? They dont really talk about the end of the film. They dont really mention the whole Leia sister thing. They dont talk about casting Ian as the emperor nor do they talk about the big ending of vader and luke. And they dont talk about why the hell they ended the movie with a damn ewok song. I know there are other making of docs about ROTJ. I own from starwars to jedi, but even those dont really explain parts. I just wish they could have gone the extra mile and show Jedi the same respect that the other two got.

2. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I was under the impression that Jedi was a bit of a troubled production. They may not have wanted to dig skeletons out of the closet and put them on display.

3. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Didn't they mention Marquand's limited experience working on special effects films and Lucas being more hands-on because of that?

I seem to recall Carrie Fisher commenting on it.

4. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Yeah, Lucas really doesn't like to talk about it, which is a shame -- I think people would understand better why he did the things he did.

The Director's Guild directly blocked Steven Spielberg and every other A, B and C-list director from ROTJ, forcing Lucas to go for a low-rent British hack. (This Empire of Dreams did cover.) George's marriage disintegrated (just after he had his first child) in pre-production, as did his friendship/partnership with Gary Kurtz. He was already exhausted and burned out from Raiders of the Lost Ark and pre-production on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. He had to worry about keeping Harrison Ford happy. He had to worry about keeping cocaine-addled Carrie Fisher alive (at least until shooting was finished). And 20th Century Fox was already on his @$$ about the next three films in the SW saga, while the films he wanted to do (Willow, Tucker, Radioland Murders) gathered dust in his script vault.

Who, really, could blame him for saying "@$*^ it all" and deciding to just END it in this one film? And to do so in such a way as to make it clear that this was, in fact, the end? And as for the Ewoks, I say it again: He was a brand-new father. And a freshly-divorced one to boot, which meant he wasn't even going to be there for his daughter most of the time. Could you blame him for wanting to make something his little girl could enjoy as she grew up?

People who grumble about the 16 year wait between ROTJ and TPM have no idea just how close Lucas came to giving it ALL up and retiring in 1983. As far as he was concerned, the money and the fame wasn't worth it. And while all of this was fact, it would, understandably, be considered "sour grapes" and give a very bad taste to the documentary's ending.

5. Qui-Gon-Drinkin

Qui-Gon-Drinkin Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2004
    I noticed that where Lucas does briefly touch on his personal issues around the time of Jedi, his comments end sort of abruptly-- he talks about having to raise his daughter by himself, and then that track just ends and abruptly moves to another subject, almost in mid-sentence. Kind of strange... I'm actually kind of surprised anything about his divorce and the personal pressure was even touched on at all, since the whole direction of the documentary seemed to be that things kept getting easier with each film.

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I just think that personally and professionally he was burnt out by 1983 and he needed a break. I think we're lucky we have the PT at all.

7. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I'm surprised that he mentioned his divorce or Marcias involvement with the OT as well. In most publications authorized by LFL she's rarely mentioned which I figured was Georges way of thumbing his nose at her.

If any woman treated me like Marcia treated George I certainly wouldn't mention her on the DVD. George showed a lot of class.

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    "I think we're lucky we have the PT at all"

THAT is a matter of opinion... ;)

9. JediGoo

JediGoo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2004
    It is..but one I agree with..at least he wanted to return to it.

10. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    "I think we're lucky we have the PT at all"

And I'm very happy he made the PT.

Without the PT, I wouldn't have been a Star Wars fan and wouldn't care to buy the OT in the first place.

Anyway, back to topic... ;)

Yeah, I also wished they spend more time on ROTJ. Especially on Palpatine. They even "forgot" to mention him. :(

11. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    They are keeping it for the ULTIMATE Edition!!!

12. JediGoo

Sep 17, 2004
    Forgive my ignorance...was Spielberg in line to direct ROTJ?

13. Qui-Gon-Drinkin

Qui-Gon-Drinkin Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2004
    Yes, he was... he was Lucas' first choice, but since Lucas was operating outside of the Director's Guild, Spielberg couldn't do it.

14. JediGoo

Sep 17, 2004
    JUST saw that...man I wish that could have happened:(

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It was a shame they just touched on ROTJ. After seeing how extensive they went with ESB, I was all geared up for them to start on ROTJ and - that was pretty much it. I'm really surprised that they didn't even mention the Emperor, the confrontation at the end and Leia being Luke's sister.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Umm.... Empire of Dreams talks very very little about the story and the process, more about what had to happen and what challenges there were.

And this can really go into the existing Empire of Dreams thread.

(what kind of weird habit is this anyway, to give my 2 cents just before locking a thread?? :confused:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.