main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why is Qui-gon never talked about in the OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sithsarbad, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    Qui-Gon has no relavence to Luke's tarining so why mention him and Padme is mentioned just not by name though it's Leia who mentions her

2. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    well, Gl will come up with some reason on why he was never talked about. And i think it is b/c Qui-gon had something to do with the ordering of the clones. So the Jedi order acts as he never lived. Just my 2 cents

3. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Without going into reason of GL's lack of TPM, nobody really wanted to hear about a deceased Jedi Master, although it would have made Obi-Wan's character more real. Also, the why GL did the story, there was no real point in telling about Obi-Wan's past.

4. VaderDarkLordofSith

VaderDarkLordofSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't think George Lucas even fathomed anything about the ep. I thruogh III in the late seventies and early eighties. He was too busy working on the OT!

5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I am definetly curious as to what was floating around in George's mind about the prequels in the late 70s.

As for Qui-Gon, I am actually one who believes that either the character OR the name Qui-Gon existed somewhere in the story, somehow in the 70s.

The Episode I Insider's Guide CD-ROM presents some evidence on this issue. It states that in early darfts of the TPM script, Obi-Wan was the one who walked into Mos Espa with Padme and discovered Anakin, instead of Qui-Gon. This tells me that Qui-Gon was never supposed to be the one who takes on the main role in TPM, until the later drafts. So it could support the belief that Qui-Gon didn't exist back in 1970s in Lucas' head.

However, the early drafts of TPM did have Qui-Gon as part of the story. He was only a minor charactor, but he was still Obi-Wan's master. He appeared in a cameo role on Coruscant.

All of this tells me, that Qui-Gon may very well have existed as a charactor all along in George's plan. Its just that he was never as important to TPM as he turned out to be in the final film.

And as we all know Lucas has taken alot of the prequel character names from names in early drafts.

My guess is that the name Qui-Gon Jinn existed all along. Lucas may have always know that he was Obi-Wan's master. Or perhaps simply the name existed on a page where Lucas had just thought up cool names, listed them all, and knew that someday he may come back and use some of them in other stories. As has been said he has done.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    it is pointless to bring up QuiGon in the the OT what would explaining him do? He didnt really matter by the end of ep4 because Obiwan Died. And in ep1 anakin didnt know him long enough to build any kind of relationship with him. In ep2 dooku showed a little remorse but, thats about it.Dont get it twisted I like the Quigon charter but he died in ep1 why should he be brought up in ep3-6.

7. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    This is a difficult discussion to have without Episode III. My feeling is that we haven't yet seen how important Qui-Gonn will be to the story of the saga. GL sacrificed a lot to get QGJ into TPM. We could have seen a lot more of Obi-Wan for a start.

As Luukeskywalker says above, there were reasons why GL didn't want Obi-Wan to find Anakin in Mos Espa. I believe that during Episode III we will learn a lot more about QGJ.

So, it could be that by the time we get to ANH, it seems odd that Vader doesn't mention QGJ to Obi-Wan for example. Or why Luke never hears about him.

As it stands, I agree with the consensus that 'to date' there's no reason for him to be mentioned in the OT.

8. sidious10

sidious10 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 26, 1999
    I agree with the fact that QGJ wasn't conceived yet in the OT, but he know HA become an important part, not only of the PT but, of the OT. I think it's pretty obvious that QGJ will have some more to do in SW before Ep.III is over, AND if it wasn't for him discovering Anakin we would have no story. In fact, he is so important to the sextology that i predict that if and when the Archival editions are released, Lucas will correct this by inserting something that has to do with Qui-Gon into the OT. It only seems fair.

9. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Qui-Gonn Jinn does not need 2 be mentioned in the OT. No room for him. And if Obi-Wan or Yoda mentioned him, Luke wouldn't know who he was talkin about. While we are on the subject of Qui-Gonn...is that really his cloak in the backround of Kenobi's hut? Has anyone else seen it?

10. DarthLeia

DarthLeia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Qui Gon didn't exsist when the OT was filmed plus there are a great many dead Jedi that Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't tell Luke about. What was the point? :confused:
    They weren't going to be able to help Luke become a Jedi, now were they? [face_plain]

11. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think it might be because Lucas didn't think of Qui-Gon until the nineties and the OT was all filmed in the seventies and eighties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.