main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why is Return Of The Jedi considered the weakest of the originals?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Feb 19, 2013.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

The Jabba scene shows clearly that Han is being given a little bit more time, and explains why he hangs around with the Rebels so long before being snapped back into reality by the bounty hunters Jabba is finally sending after him. It also shows that Jabba really was willing to give Han a second chance. When Han comes back to save Luke, he's not just throwing away a chance of making things right with Jabba--he's throwing away a sure bet. That's pretty important information that was never clearly communicated by the Greedo scene.

It's also worth noting that Marcia Lucas pushed for the scene to be kept specifically because it showed how fearless Han was. And if anything, Han stepping on Jabba's tail just makes him look even more fearless. Seems to me like George was just belatedly following the advice of the real genius behind Star Wars.

Anyway, I don't know why you think it's just there to show off. That doesn't make any sense. Who is he showing off to? Everyone's going to buy the movie either way. If anything, he's intentionally depriving himself of revenue from the few OOT purists who actually refuse to buy the altered versions. That's a drop in the bucket, to be sure, but it's still money being lost. So why do it? Why does George Lucas suddenly become an insanely bad businessman when it comes to selling his movies on home media?

2. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    When did this thread become
    "A New Hope:Jabba's conversation with Han;The Deleted Scene which was restored for later releases " :confused:

AndyLGR and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Why is Return Of The Jedi considered the weakest of the originals?
    Ewoks. That's it, that's all.

Actually, I find ANH the weakest out of the originals because it seems slow moving at some points and low budget... But I can see why ROTJ would be considered the weakest of the three. We have ANH, which is the start of the story, the introduction of the characters, the mystery of the Jedi, the Emporer, and the wrapped up conclusion of the DS being blown up. I've said it before, ANH could've easily stayed "Star Wars" and been a stand alone movie and it would've been just fine and made sense. That's good story telling.

ESB, we have Luke truly beginning his in depth training as a Jedi, the introduction of force ghosts and the great Jedi Master Yoda. We finally catch a glimpse of the Emporer and we are treated to a more in depth Darth Vader and his plight as a slave to the darkside.

ROTJ, like others have said, just seems....tired. They were ready to be done. Plus, the end of a trilogy will always be alittle off unless the director and writer are both gods of film. The beginning is regarded as the hardest part of a story to write, but that's only because it's so far from the challenge of wrapping up a story. ROTJ seemed random, Luke turning for a split second, Vader being shown as an almost powerless servant, and the randomness of Luke and Leia suddenly being siblings. Lando just being cool with the big three even though he gave a shrug of an apology for betraying Han, the mystery behind both Vader and the Emporer disappears. It's still a great movie, but I also had trouble with ROTJ for awhile, SW was always considered a movie for kids, but you can truly see the difference as it's suddenly mid 80's and feels more like an actual kids movie instead of an epic that can be geared towards all ages.

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It starts to become very much the epic tale of the Skywalker family, the story which is then picked up on by the PT. ANH and TESB really weren't that. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of opinion, but it was certainly a change of emphasis.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

How is TESB not that? It's the movie where it's first revealed that the primary antagonist up to this point is actually a Skywalker. The audience doesn't find that out until near the end of the movie, but in hindsight the rest of the movie was still designed to lead up to that revelation.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    TESB, regardless of people's intentions in hindsight, feels to me like primarily Luke's story and the story of the Rebellion against the Empire. As does ANH. From 'I am your father' onwards, there is a shift away from that, in my perception.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I agree that the Jabba scene fits, and doesn't bother me at all - this... no. "the real genius behind Star Wars"?
    Don't believe everything you read on cracked.com.

See this thread for more info.

8. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I think he meant it ironically.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, that's not how I read it in the context, but if that's the case I appologise!
    Irony and sarcasm are hard to detect in text.

10. HanOlBuddy

HanOlBuddy Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015
    The scenes of the assault on the second Death Star are my favorite space fighter sequences of the series. I couldn't get enough of those as a kid.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    My reasons:
    1. Jabba's Palace does not mesh well with the rest of the plot of the film (although it's a great sequence of the film on it's own).
    2. Boba Fett, bounty hunter, being reduced to an expendable henchman that is accidentally defeated by a blind man.
    3. Han and Leia feel shoehorned in after Tatooine.
    4. Ben's reasoning of lying to Luke about Vader.
    5. Leia as Luke's sister reveal and Luke's reveal to Leia feels forced.
    6. The Ewoks' designs looking more like stuffed animals than actual living beings.
    7. The Emperor's best legion of troops are too easily defeated by the Ewoks.
    8. The Empire losing a second Death Star and another high commander/leader due to the demised's overconfidence (even worse here because this time it was the Emperor and he knows the Rebellion destroyed the first Death Star).
    Return of the Jedi is still a great film, but it's certainly my least favorite film of the saga.

darskpine10 likes this.
  12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I was indeed being ironic. Apologies for any confusion.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, my bad then [face_peace]
    Anyway, maybe my post helped clear up that (quite common) misunderstanding for someone out there - in that case any confusion was worth it :p

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  14. cenzo

cenzo Jedi Knight

Apr 7, 2015
    Growing up, ROTJ was my favorite hands down. But getting older, i think i realize that the movie was just more child friendly. Now, closing in on my 40's, i lean towards the first two films in the OT.

JABoomer likes this.
  15. Archie Brown

Archie Brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2015
    I think that it is the best of the Original Trilogy and I like that there is a second Death Star but I can see how some people think that it makes the storyline less worthwhile because the endings are similar!

16. NowTHISIsPodRacing

NowTHISIsPodRacing Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2015
    Because the main plot was a bit of lazy retread, especially compared to ESB, in which you felt the real power that the Empire held over the people.

And teddy bears beat highly trained soldiers...

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What they look like doesn't matter - only what they can do. And what they can do, is lay ambushes, build traps, and (at least once) take up their opponent's weaponry.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I could see different elements of Return of the Jedi improving it. The Ewoks could have been Wookies with Endor their homeworld. There is no second Death Star, instead Luke is taken to Imperial City (Coruscant) to see the Emperor. The Rebel fleet targets something else to destroy maybe like a slave camp for the Wookies or the Executor.

19. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    I have a hard time these days to enjoy ROTJ, but I liked it much more when I was younger and just for interest:

Yesterday my daughters, six and eight years, asked:

"Dad, can we watch Star Wars tonight? The last one! With the ewoks - they are GREAT!" :)

20. Captain Ric

Captain Ric Jedi Knight

Apr 18, 2015
    How much more dynamic would the Battle of Endor have been if something along the lines of the new Battlefront footage had been included?

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I fail to see the problem with the Ewoks. I think they work better than, say, Wookies would have, because they represent the theme of the Empire always overlooking the little guy and getting nipped in the butt as a result (same thing in ANH with "the Empire doesn't consider one-man fighters to be of any threat, or they would have a tighter defense.)"

Plus they are hilarious (and cute!):
    [​IMG]

*Not sure if the quote is exactly right, but I think you all get my meaning :)

22. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Wicket is hilarious and cute. The rest of those little demonic teddy bears were going to have Han, Luke and Chewie for dinner. Also I question the collective sanity of a species that believes 3PO is a god.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Well, excuse you, but I'm a proud fan of the most demonic one. :p

[​IMG]

24. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Don't take this the wrong way, as I'm trying to make a point on storytelling. I think that people who generally like or prefer the prequels, the saga, canon, what-have-you, and start Star Wars from Episode I, will consider ANH to be a slowly paced film -- the reason being that they are already familiar with very myopic detail of the Force, Jedi, everything, from the prequels; whereas ANH was originally supposed to be Chapter 1 and immerse the viewer into that world. Imagine reading a book, skipping to the middle or the ending, then going back to page 1. You would almost certainly find the introductory chapter boring.

I think that's why more fans who are seeing Star Wars for the first time or only care for the CT will -- in general -- consider the pacing of the original Star Wars film to be quite fine.

Sarge, Darkslayer and MOC Yak Face like this.
  25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I was raised on the OT, I was about eight when the SE OT was re-released into theatres. I love ANH, and I have great respect for the movie, but it just seems a good amount of that movie is just building up to Luke finally doing anything. My feelings have nothing to do with the PT, because I fell inlove with the OT before TPM was even in production, and I hated it. I just feel out of the whole OT, it has the least amount of actual storyline. Farm boy leaves his planet, rescues a princess and blows up the DS. I just greatly prefer the immense story telling of Vader being his father, Luke learning the way of the force, and how his original mission to kill the story's villian turns into a mission of redemption. ANH could've been a stand alone movie, everything wrapped up in terms of "good guys won, you can assume this first step leads to the Empire losing it's stranglehold on the galaxy." and viewers would be completely content. It's in ESB where the back story and depth really come out. It's not just about defeating the villians, but the demons inside the protagonist as well.

Darkslayer and Iron_lord like this.