main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why is Return Of The Jedi considered the weakest of the originals?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The be honest though, on a technical level. Return Of The Jedi does contain some of the shoddiest and mediocre looking scenes in the trilogy.

The highly lacquered shine on Vader's helmet and the choice of lighting in the hangar scenes in ROTJ almost ruin the asethetic completely Taking nearly all definition out of the costume. The angles on Vader in that scene are weird as well. The camera is up too high on the reverse shots from Jerjerrod's side so it almost looks as if Vader is looking over the top of his head whille the Moff's head is titled back to look up at him. It's also disappointing that the Emperor's arrival plays out with very similar blocking.

Elsewhere in the movie there appears to be quite a few shots that were taken from multiple camera set ups that just happened to record the action required adequately enough. There are too many shots in the Sarlaac and Endor battles with haphazard framing or just the wrong length of lens to convey any real emotion that might have been pertinent to it. They are somewhat less than nuanced.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  2. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Some tonal inconsistencies and many pan the Ewoks. I think it is pretty dope though.

3. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    the ewoks are a major reason why but for me i love return of the jedi the emperor is awesome we see lando and ackbar in awesome light, luke in the all black outfit and the green saber looks great,slave leia,han and leia's relationship gets to where they teased it all along,amazing space battle scenes

4. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    I luv that moment in RoTJ, when an Ewok teases Han and Leia and make them kiss again

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Something minor that I find really cute and heartwarming, is when an Ewok hugs R2 during the celebration.

6. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    The tone is too light so to speak, Ewoks, the singer with the big mouth in Jabba's Palace (depending on which version you watch), the burping toad outside Jabba's palace (I liked it when I was younger though). More of the good guys should have died because that is how war is, there are deaths on all sides. Boba Fett's death was so lame. It is not that I totally dislike episode 6 but it could have been so much better. When I look at it now I would have preferred if Luke would have went somewhere by himself instead of celebrating with the Ewoks, like he was exhausted after all the fighting. Wokees would have been better than Ewoks.