main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is rock considered by some the Music of Satan?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mulacki, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    Here is a few examples of what I mean

Satanic references in lyrics

A warning

Another Warning

I listen to rock music most the day, it's my favorit music. I'm going to a Metallica concert next week, and there is nothing that is gonna stop me from going there.

But by some christians rock is considered and evil form of music, something sent to earth by Satan to corrupt the minds of teenagers. One of the main arguments they use is that there are messages hidden in the lyrics if you play them backwards.

About 20 years ago there was a case where some parents tried to sue Judas Priest because they said that in one of their song there was a message that made to two teenagers kill themselves. The thing is that the message only becomes clear if you play the song backwards.

To quote comedian Bill Hicks " Who the hell plays their songs backwards?" and "Why would rock stars want their fans to commit suicide?"

There is also the famous Led Zeppelin song Stairway to Heaven. In this song if you play the last (I think) backwards there is also a satanic message.

Just to ad to this madness, christian rock is becomming more and more popular. How can this be if rock is the music of Satan?

What is you view on this topic?

Thanks to Darth_Malignent for the idea of this topic.

KK EDIT: I think that this would go better in the Amphitheatre.

2. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    A lot of the Rock genre promotes independent thought.

<[-]> Saber

3. Darth Mulacki

Dec 4, 1999
    Is that good or bad?

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Good if you're not Christian; bad if you are.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why is rock considered by some the Music of Satan?

Because people are stupid. Religious fanatics, be they Christian, Muslim, etc., always look for a scapegoat for all the "problems" facing society at that time, frequently labeling these scapegoats as "satanic" or something similar. These scapegoats usually are relatively new art forms, which are not embeded in society enough so that the art forms aren't universally defended, thus making it easier to preach the "truth."

6. Darth_Malignent

Darth_Malignent Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2003
    As I read the artircles I couldn't do anything but
    laugh..
    I mean how can they interpret the lyrics of
    rock song to be a satanic glorification..
    They sing about the devil because he is the common picture of all what is evil.. And therefore, as alot of rock songs are about pain, they use that common representative to get their message out..
    The fact that some rock artists are members of the satanist church is irrelevant..
    I think this is so ridiculous..
    To quote Bill Hicks, as Mulacki did: "If rock is the invention of satan at least he ******* rocks"..

7. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I personally believe Satan is the most misunderstood deity. Satan, to me, is about temptation, giving in to momentary pleasure over the possibility of long term happiness. I don't believe in a lake of fire or a torturous hell, if I believed solely in the God of Abraham, I would view Satan more as the Jews did, a powerful archangel who tests men's souls.

As far as rock music goes, rock is the music of teenage rebellion and expression. It's fun and loud and drives your parents mad, its a way for the generation to distinguish itself. Hip Hop is the new rock and roll, since Rock turned into Pop (until the depressed apathetic heroes of my took over for a short time, but then the MAN bought it all up and turned it into Pop again,) but now even Hip Hop is being turned into Pop.

Which is fine with me, I never dug rap all that much before, but the new wave of hip hop music has attracted me by playing with and fuesing together all sorts of musical genres.

I mean, borrowing classic music, eastern music, various forms of rock music, that's what the Beatles were doing, Hip Hop artists are really continuing one of the legacy's of the Beatles, which is total musical fusion, defying any conventional catagory.

Look at the Beatles, you can't brand them off as a type of music, they have oldies, classic rock, acid rock, folksie stuff, country stuff, jazz, and and rythem and blues influences all thrown in the mix.

So anyway, Hip Hop is the new Rock, and squares will always think something wild and new is the work of the devil.

I pity these fools just as they likely weep for our souls.

8. sordidhumor

sordidhumor Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Rock music [which I absolutely adore] idolizes the rebel. Those who experiment with music, have run-ins with the law, and turn away from the music of their parents are seen as heros. That is threatening to some. They feel they will lose the flock. I cannot say they are partly right.

Rock music is largely a part of culture that does not conform certain religious standards. Once there is an opening, a cultural crack, the individual may take on ideas that go against their religious upbringing.

They say it is Satanic because they are afraid it will turn people against the church.

9. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    As far as rock music goes, rock is the music of teenage rebellion and expression. It's fun and loud and drives your parents mad, its a way for the generation to distinguish itself. Hip Hop is the new rock and roll, since Rock turned into Pop

No way, Hip-Hop is just another "cool" genre that record companies caught onto to feed the masses. It'll fade in a couple years. Rock and Roll was a movement that changed our whole society, we may never experience something like that again.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand. When I was growing up my mom wouldn't let me listen to any sort of heavy metal (I did anyway obviously) because she'd say it was the devil's music. She'd say (her words) that Satan was a musician and he uses the power of music to steer those away from God. I can certainly see that perspective, almost nothing in this world is more influential on our culture than music.

10. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I'm a fundamentalist Christian, and I love rock, provided the lyrics aren't sinful. Same with anything else.

I listen to it because I like the passion behind the music itself. Truth is, I don't realyl care about lyrics at all, unless they are sinful (in which I would reject the song in question) or they were very poetic and...hmm...epic, I guess (in which I would actually listen to a song for that element alone). If I know someone who is offended by the loudness, or even someone who would prefer a different style while we were driving in the car or something, then I would turn it off.

So it's not always an issue of rebellion. Some of us, like I said, just like the music.

11. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I'm going to a Metallica concert next week, and there is nothing that is gonna stop me from going there.

Then why do you care?

But by some Christians, rock [music] is considered an evil form of music, something sent to earth by Satan to corrupt the minds of teenagers. One of the main arguments they use is that there are messages hidden in the lyrics if you play them backwards.

Actually, the main kind of music they believe was sent by Satan was Acid Rock, which was music written under the influence of drugs.

In the beginning of Genesis, God tells Adam to subdue the plants of the earth, yet, in this culture, we have people who are actually being controlled by addictive plants.

This denotes some kind of control by Satan over the minds of the composers, which could very well be. That is why Christians were leary of this type of music.

About 20 years ago there was a case where some parents tried to sue Judas Priest because they said that in one of their song there was a message that made to two teenagers kill themselves. The thing is that the message only becomes clear if you play the song backwards.

Why would a song writer take the time to make a Satanic message and imbed it into a song? It wasn't some freak accident that there was this kind of a message in these songs. It happened all over the place!

To quote comedian Bill Hicks[:] "Who the hell plays their songs backwards?" and "Why would rock stars want their fans to commit suicide?"

I don't know. Rock stars are awfully stupid people.

There is also the famous Led Zeppelin song Stairway to Heaven. In this song[,] if you play the last [line] (I think) backwards there is also a Satanic message.

You are defeating your purpose by giving us all of these examples of people putting Satanic messages in their songs.

Just to ad[d] to this madness, Christian rock is becomming more and more popular. How can this be if rock is the music of Satan?

You mean music created under the influence of toxic chemicals? I don't see Switchfoot continuing this practice.

What is you[r] view on this topic?

That people complaining about this because they feel guilty should stop or change their mind, but don't try to change others to make yours feel better.

12. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    No way, Hip-Hop is just another "cool" genre that record companies caught onto to feed the masses. It'll fade in a couple years.

While I agree with the sentence following this, I sincerely doubt rap is going anywhere. It started in the late seventies, gained popularity in the early nineties, became a significant portion of pop music in the late nineties, and remains so today. I used to like it, and as far back as 1997, people would say to me 'why do you buy that crap? Nobody's going to like it in a few years.'

I have had no troubles selling those albums.

13. Darth Mulacki

Dec 4, 1999
    Ikritman, thanks for pointing out my spelling errors. Its pretty late here in Denmark, and I'm tired so I didn't notice them when I wrote it.

Why would a song writer take the time to make a Satanic message and imbed it into a song? It wasn't some freak accident that there was this kind of a message in these songs. It happened all over the place!

The Hicks quote my question to that part.

You are defeating your purpose by giving us all of these examples of people putting Satanic messages in their songs.

Again, you have to listen to it backwards to hear that part, and who does that+

I could get a satanic message out of a Barney song playing it backwards, slowing down parts and playing a little with the sound levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.