Why is SW considered kids films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Old_Zen, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Zen Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I despise labels and it doesn't make much sense to fret about them. They are imposed by others to organize trivial information. What remains important is whether you personally like the film--that is all that matters.

Lucas knows it appeals to many groups of people; the films transcend age and socio-economic differences and become well loved by a diverse sample of people.

-Seldon

That sums it all up beautifully, Darth-Seldon. Thank you for that assesment. This is how I feel. Labels are an over-simplification of many things.
  2. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    ANH wasnt considered a kids film by Lucas, from his intial marketing stand point. He spent the few marketing dollars he had to give a whiff of the film to the comic-con crowd, which is teenage to adult of any age and predominantly male. That marketing ploy worked brilliantly by the way, keeping generations of fans intact, which this web site offers live proof of, and allows us to have ridiculous debates to whether they are kids films or not. The answer off course being both and neither. Theyre really for anyone that can suspend disbelief adequedately - which children do much better than adults and why many call them, including Lucas now( of course because he isnt trying to lose money ), " childrens films ". This latter fiscal revelation leaves many of the original cutting edge comic book target audience feeling alienated - which they shouldnt. Ill just say that with the addition of RotS to the Saga, the SW films probably shouldnt be sprung on a child until or unless you think they can handle that particular chapter. No point in showing them a parceled SW at 7 and then making them wait until 10 to see RotS.
  3. Darth-DeathStick Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The kids from that era were WAAAAYYYYY different from the kids of yesterday and today. I dont mean to sound cliche but kids were more innocent then and if you look at Ep. 4, it plays to the kids of that time.

Once Lucas saw how big it was I think he saw how much bigger it could be with the right direction. I also think that as kids changed from 'innocent young people who learned from thier parents' to 'young people who disrespect thier parents and do what they want' he made the stories fit as time went along. The P.T. is more aggressive because kids now are more aggressive. I mean back in the 70's you rarely heard of a kid bringing a gun to school or shooting his classmates. It's on the news everyday now it seems.

I also think the P.T. is darker because we live in a darker society. Kids nowadays live a more adult life than kids in the 70's. Teen pregnancy was minimal then, drugs, etc etc.
    Just compare kids from then and now and I hope you get where Im coming from.

Just my 2 cents.
  4. TheCRZA Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Uhm, I saw ESB when I was 5 and I loved it, was hooked.
    When my son saw AOTC when he was 5, he loved it.
    I don't see how they aren't kids films.
    I related to some of the characters
    and my son did too.
    It's called levels.
    You can enjoy the more viceral, adventurous aspects
    as a child and the story grows on you as you
    grow in complexity.
    With the exception of the gratuity of ROTS,
    I think they are fine morality tales for kids,
    space age secular parables.
  5. DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I think they're kid movies but to tell you truth I never knew what the heck the characters were talking about when I six years old. I just thought it was cool to see ships flying around space. I never knew A New Hope was about a revolution until I was older.
  6. JediImprov Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The very first thing you see sets Star Wars up as a fairy tale.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Once upon a time, in a far off kingdom...
  7. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    I think they are fine morality tales for kids,
    space age secular parables.

They are fine morality tales and I think theyre o.k. for children but secular? Im not sure about that. The most relevant question that SW asks is if spirituality can coexist with technology. Its the only thing in the entire Saga that Lucas has left completely untweaked since his first conceptions of SW. And the Jedi, the Emporer, Anakin, and the Deathstar - are ALL religious and/or God symbolism - for better and for worse.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.