main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is the 1977 Star Wars film not rated G?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    What's this about E.T. trying to be PG-13? *bewildered*

Anyhoo, all of the Star Wars films deserve their PG ratings. While they may contain little to no blood or swear words, people do die left and right, people lose limbs, and are even subjected to torture. In animated form these acts may seem a little less real which is why you may seem similar things in a G movie, but in a live action setting, even a fantasy one, children under 6 may be frightened or disturbed by what they see.

L8r

2. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "As for you claiming that a preschooler's ability to seperate fact and fiction are based on my parenting or lack thereof only leads me to believe you have no children and if you do, in my opinion, you have a lot to learn my friend. "

Gee Sithlover sure told me. I guess those two little humans living in my house, ages 5 & 7, who eat my food and call me Daddy are just visitors, but at least they know the difference between a movie and real life. I detemined this by words they use. Like Play. "I'm playing Star Wars Daddy" operative word being playing. My kids knows when you "play" you are using your imagination and it is not real life. But than again I'm not a parent so who am I to say?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Plus, the rating system in the 70's was stricter then than it is now.<<

Other way around, IMO.

>>That sounds like the reasoning for "E.T.". This was why Spielberg put the word "penis" in the film - to go from a PG to a PG-13 rating.<<

um- ET was rated PG in both it's versions. Why would Spielberg want a PG-13 on a film aimed at being a family film?

>>It wasn't until the "ultra-violence" of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (nevertheless seen as a "kid's movie") that the MPAA instituted the "PG13" rating. <<

Temple of Doom was the trigger, actually- the whole "ripping the beating heart of of a guy's chest as it spontaniously combusts" thing and all [face_batting]

>>However, E.T. was the biggest "test" of the PG-13 rating after it was passed.<<

Impossible:

E.T.: Released in 1982.

Temple of Doom: Released in 1984

Red Dawn: First film to rated PG-13, released in 1984 (obviously later in the year than TOD)

4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Red Dawn: First film to rated PG-13

I always thought it was Dreamscape, but it was the second PG-13 movie, release just two months later than Red Dawn...

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ">>That sounds like the reasoning for "E.T.". This was why Spielberg put the word "penis" in the film - to go from a PG to a PG-13 rating.<<"

"um- ET was rated PG in both it's versions. Why would Spielberg want a PG-13 on a film aimed at being a family film?"

Well, I'm just going off old memories. That being said, I do know that "penis" was put in to change the rating. I guess it was from G to PG. I'll have to research it to be sure.

6. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, Spielberg added "penis" to E.T. because lord knows kids weren't going to be traumatized enough with E.T.'s death.

I think you're confusing stories, here. When the E.T. DVD was being prepped, rumors were flying that the "penis breath" line was going to be taken out to make the film more family friendly. But that never happened. Spielberg has never added something intentionally to the film to up the rating. Like I said, the frozen and dead E.T. was enough to warrant a PG rating. Not only that, but there were actual cuss words in the film (the "S" word, for instance) that would have warranted the PG rating. He didn't need the "penis breath" line for that.

L8r

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.