main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is the Clone Wars Cartoon about 5 minutes long?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Someguy107, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someguy107

Someguy107 Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    Why? I was watching it and then powerpuff girls came on! I quote, "When a person is watching Star Wars, interruption is forbidden"

2. death-of-fleas

death-of-fleas Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2003
    It's Star Wars and it's crap! How & why?

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, it does add up to over 60 mins of footage, and almost 100% of that is action, far more than any film. Also, this is a test to see if Star Wars could survive on another medium.

It was Lucas' decision to make it 5 mins long, I'm sure they have a good reason for it.

4. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    If it's any concelation, a lot of people believe that this "micro series" is simply a test to see how much interest there is in a SW television/cartoon show. Hopefully it will lead to more bigger (longer) things.

!snap

5. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    They said if it gets high ratings it will be made longer. In spring 2004 this would be too. And it's awesome with how much happens in only 3-5 minutes. That's pretty impressive what they can get done in that amount of time you have to admit that :D

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    It's also a bit of George going back the the very roots of cinema... the serials that used to preceed the main feature... 10, 15 minute chapters that would end (usually) with a cliff hanger and would lure the audience back into the theartre next week to 'see what hapened'. Judging by the immence popularity of the series, he's succeeded admirably...

7. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    So far I'm REALLY NOT liking this micro series. The cartoons have to substance to it. All I have been seeing is 4-5 minutes of fighting continuously. After a while this gets really boring. I want some story here. I like the Anakin/Obi-Wan segments okay, but the rest is just fluff.

I am very disappointed Lucas didn't pay more attention to telling more STORY of this clone war. Even he said a special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. I think George is beyond that now. :)

I just don't like this series much. Kit Fisto ripping off his cloak and exposing his half naked body then jumping in water with hsi saber fighting... WHAT'S THE POINT?! What the heck are you trying to show us?! Oh well...hopefully these get better. I want to see some more Anakin transformation or something. I'll be watching them all, hoping it goes somewhere, but right now... boring. I'm sorry, but for this being Star Wars I am very disappointed.

8. Jedi_Master_Vin

Jedi_Master_Vin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm with niennumb on this. So far, no good!. I like the style of the animation and the renderings of the characters (apart from Palpy) but the actual story is non existant. I admit that it is possible that the first few episodes are just introductions to the characters and that the main story of the series will come later, but I hope it doesnt take long.

As for the series being a test run, I seriously buy that. It is similar to what was done with the special editions of the OT. Lucas used the "reworked" versions of the OT as a testing ground for 2 things, (1) To see what kind of interest new Star Wars theatrical releases would recieve and (2) what kind of effects they could achieve.

As a result of the success of the SE, the new trilogy was set in motion.

Hopefully the same can be said about the CW cartoon.

9. shuttle_captain

shuttle_captain Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    deathof fleas, seriously, it's fine to have an opinion but name SOMETHING!

10. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    People complain about the animation, but yet there's different styles, would you want the animation very realistic? Fine but hey you can't control it and this is how it's animated, deal with it.

11. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I love everyone whineing about how it has no story. It's a 5 minute cartoon... It's supposed to be fun action, not dialoge and drama. If you just take it for what it is and stop trying to make it something else, maybe you'd enjoy it.

!snap

12. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Well it's not even fun or exciting. It's blasting troops and droids for 5 minutes straight, with exception of a few cool things like moments between Anakin and Obi-Wan and some dialogue between the bad guys. The rest is just not really exciting and exhilarating.

I have seen a lot of cartoons that last 5 minutes and at by the end of which they DO have a point or story, yet still keeping the audience engaged. You can tell a story in 1 minute even! Believe it or not it can be done. It may not be a strong story mind you, but you can tell a story in that amount of time.

13. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    The show is not 5 minutes, but 3 1/2. Also, they are not supposed to show Anakin turning to the Dark Side, that is reserved for the film called Episode III.

To do that in the cartoon series would be a cheap way of telling this important story.

Give it time, we know the Republic is very good at fighthing the war but that the Separatists have Durge and Ventress in their side now, with Dooku pulling the strings. Sounds like a story to me.

14. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Heck, they're not even episodes. They're scenes. It takes more than one scene to tell a story.

As for me, I think the fact that they can do so almost entirely visually, without a great deal of dialogue, is fantastic.

15. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I actually like the way this Micro Series is going. True they are extreemly short but when the DVD comes out it will be a lot better once we get to see all of it w/o the 24 hour break.

16. Pixel

Pixel Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    It is a XXI century cartoon series right to be deployed trought cellphones and palm's.

17. FunkMst3k

FunkMst3k Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 1999
    I like the Clone Wars, knowing the Clone Wars via the comics thus far leaves me ALWAYS wanting more, and I get the same feel from watching five minutes of a cartoon. Five minutes may be too short, but if they were longer they would be bogged down by bad storylines and such and such.

18. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I think it would've been so much better if they were just 3 minutes longer.

19. SonoftheSun

SonoftheSun Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    I imagine the micro series as a set of silent serials.

The exposition in Clone Wars is told through images and music for me.

20. joebuck

joebuck Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2000
    If it was longer would you really watch it. I mean this is some of the worst animation and story telling since Gforce the 80s japanese cartoon show.

I can't believe lucas would approved this, we haven't seen animation this good since the Star Wars holiday christmas special, and we all know that was great...

21. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Lucas loved it, so either the problem is him or you. ;) :p

22. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Geez! People are just never satisfied with anything!! This is about the Clone Wars. Not Anakins demise! That is all for EPIII like was said earlier. Geez!!

23. Drath

Drath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 1998
    The show has been what I was expecting it to be. The stories aren't especially poignant or deep, but they are in the same popcorn spirit as the movies when not focusing on the big Anakin/Luke journey. Could I imagine something "better"? Sure. Imagination is great. But I crossed that bridge with Episode One. I'm sorry if the cartoons haven't been entertaining for some of you, I know that bitter pill all too well. With luck though, the success of this series will mean future cartoons or projects for TV that you will enjoy.

24. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I love them. Do I wish they were longer? Sure. They are made to be quick bits of pure Star Wars fun. I'm not looking for a deep story in them. Just five minutes of fun. I'm I the only one here old enough to remember Tom & Jerry cartoons? It is just five minutes of cat chase mouse. Mouse hurt cat. I laugh hard.

25. NatNut1

NatNut1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2003
    "I love everyone whineing about how it has no story. It's a 5 minute cartoon... It's supposed to be fun action, not dialoge and drama. If you just take it for what it is and stop trying to make it something else, maybe you'd enjoy it."

I 100% agree with snap_hiss' comments. IT'S A FIVE MINUTE CARTOON, not a two or three hour movie! If you want more on Anakin's transformation, wait for Episode 3, if you want dialogue, watch Attack of the Clones. The main purpose of this series is the action so people, unclinch and enjoy it for what it is! I also read a comment like "I can tell a story in ONE minute". Ok, Hemingway, tell us a compelling story in ONE MINUTE. Or show us one time when that actually happened. Finally, two things: 1) it's very simple and I've made this point before: if you people who are complaining about it really don't like it, then DON'T WATCH IT ANYMORE! And 2) why is it only 5 minutes? It's a MICRO SERIES.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.