main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why is the FA script so effective?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AcerCatrun, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Don;t like the use of the word pandering here. This is a sequel to ROTJ. If it doesn't have significant connections to the OT, it fails as a sequel. I mean, it is no surprise that fans of the OT want to see a Star Wars movie that looks and feels like the Star Wars they love.

2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    My answer. Characters and dialogue. Kasdan knows how to write Star Wars dialogue. I hope Rian Johnson can effectively pick up where he left off. To be successful, tis movie had to remind old Star Wars fans about what they loved in Star Wars, and to still appeal to a large segment of more casual and new fans. I think in was pretty darn successful at doing that. Of course, you can;t please everyone, but they hit a good balance IMO.

3. AcerCatrun2

AcerCatrun2 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2018
    My reading of FA predicted a sequel in which “Everything is the same: now forget what you know for next time . . .”

I think this is pretty well-matched by all the thwarted expectations of Last Jedi, adding to the plausibility of the original post!

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Abrams is great in connecting the audience with the characters. The scene in which we see Rey for the first time is a perfect example. There is a nice video about that. It compares the way the character of Rey is written with the one of the protagonist of RO.

I remember that I felt sympathy for her since the beginning, couldn't tell why. The video provided an explanation.

5. AcerCatrun2

AcerCatrun2 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2018
    Agreed and thanks for posting

What I am getting at is that there is a thematic compactness to both movies - memory, and then thwarted expectations - which I (and perhaps just I!) find really interesting.

3sm1r likes this.