main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why is the Force Awakening NOW?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediLight, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think it is time we inform the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished. -Mace in ROTS
    The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. -Tarkin in ANH
    There is a great disturbance in the Force -Emperor in ESB

There has been an awakening, have you felt it? The dark side and the light... -Snoke in TFA

After hearing this line from the trailer, I didn't think this was just a cute title nod. The movies have showed us that Force ebb and flows.

Something, an event, triggered this Awakening. I don't think it was the supposed event at Luke's Academy. It happened too many years ago. Was it simply a lost lightsaber falling in the right hands?

I like the idea of the Force being NEAR dead after ROTJ. Only Luke would possess that power of the Force. Maybe Luke stops practicing the Force after the Academy failure?

Who is Luke Skywalker? -Kennedy to Abrams

It takes his family (Rey + Kylo) to make him return to the Force. Sounds familiar?

Is this the Awakening?

EDIT: changed title to hope bring clarity. Thanks DarthMalevonus and D'an

2. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    I totally read this title in a different way.

JediLight and D'an like this.
  3. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Like, in a "when the shift hits the force fan" kind of way?

JediLight and Jcuk like this.
  4. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    While I somewhat agree with your premise, Luke ain't the "only" force user in the galaxy. There's undoubtably a non-aligned force user or two out there. Aurra Sing, Assaj Ventress, other Nightsisters not slaughtered on Dathomir, even some inquisitors or Sith-in-the-wings. It may simply be that the lightsaber getting into the right hands would be like a sledge hammer to everyone else's light footsteps through the force.

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Asajj is kinda dead now.

I don't know that canon Aurra Sing could ever use the Force... and for all we know she died when the Slave I crashed in TCW. The Nightsisters were implied to have all died in Grievous's attack, but even if a small number survived they might not be ones who have any strength in the Force... Mother Talzin accessed her powers very differently than a normal Force-user, and Asajj was an anomaly among them I think. But yes, there are other Force-users out there... the passive Dagoyan Masters, presumably Acolytes of the Beyond boast some Force-users among their number, other Children of the Force who weren't rounded up by Inquisitors but managed to use their powers somewhat, etc

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It could be viewed upon from 2 different sides. Luke sensing Kylo and Snoke? Or vica versa?...

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I can only see the Force Awakening pertaining to Rey, nothing else makes sense.

8. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Good point. But what percentage of people who have watched the prior films saw TCW/Rebels? 25% maybe?

To the casual SW fan, the movies are the story. The only darkside users were Sith and potential Sith recruits (Anakin and Luke). TFA is going to the first movie to break the mold, that the darkside isn't exclusive to Sith.

9. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep, possibly.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The the universe of Star Wars would be near dead.

The point is that Anakin brought the Force back into balance.

What you are talking about is Force users.

The point is that in each trilogy the Force "awakens" in a particular special way in young people in the movies.

The Force "awakens" in Anakin in TPM and Luke in ANH.

Lucas: I put the Force into the movies in order to try to awaken a certain kind of spirituality in young people. More a belief in god than a belief in any particular religious system. I mean the real question is to ask the question. Because if you haven't enough interest in the mysteries of life to ask the questions, is there a god or is there not a god? That's for me the worst thing that can happen. If you ask a young person is there a god and they say I don't know. I think you should have an opinion about that.

11. Ligenot

Ligenot Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Because Disney bought Lucasfilm.

ProfessorNutbudder and B99 like this.
  12. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    How about this officialy released high resolution picture of Finn with Anakin's lightsaber, accompanied with the words "there has been an awakening". https://m.facebook.com/starwarsmovi...79781543416/487026621478732/?type=1&source=48

Then you have the first teaser opening up with the same words and Finn's face popping up.
    And to seal the deal, there's also this tweet posted by Peter Mayhew, wich he linked to Boyega's twitter when the instagram teaser got released.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWookieeRoars/status/636955622731223044

It doesn't get more obvious than that. Like it or not, the movies title also pertains towards Finn.

13. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    The force "awakening" makes no sense. With the way the force works, it can't just "awaken". Even with the Jedi Order gone the force is still present in everyone. Some people have a strong connection to it (like Jedi) and others don't although it's still present in them. "The Force Awakens" could be a metaphor for a series of events unfolding that move forward the destiny of particular force users. But as a literal interpretation, it makes no sense.

Darth Dooku likes this.
  14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Because it was time to make a new movie.

Darth Dooku likes this.
  15. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    That is the real answer to this question. Because Disney needed a plot device.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This is a topic for the title thread (HERE) where this has been discussed quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.