main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why is the Prequel Triolgy hated less on TFN than in the general public?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, May 12, 2015.

1. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I was thinking specifically of the borg too when I wrote the word assimilate...

Andy Wylde and Cryogenic like this.
  2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I agree with of a lot that has been said. The mods here usually keep the trolls out and keep this board civil. This also means most people here just want to discuss star wars and not be jerks to each other. This also one the few places on the internet where people can discuss the prequels without someone bashing them.

3. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Well I don't think this sight shows an accurate representation of things because mods are very sensitive to 'PT bashing'.

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The "general public" does not go on the forums, only a very small subset of people do. The tight moderation here means that PT fans find themselves migrating here.

TX-20 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    People talk about Star Wars outside of TF.N? :p

HeadingSouth and mes520 like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

We try. Thank you.

CoolyFett, Chancellor Yoda and mes520 like this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I should point out that the PT films come in significantly below the OT films at IMDb.

8. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

right.... let's use a website whose users have rated pulp fiction and fight club in the top 10 movies of all time.... good job there fella...

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

How do you know that's true?

mes520 likes this.
  10. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    It's a Star Wars forum. We want to like these movies. Someone who isn't a fan isn't going to be as involved there. Just look at thread titles of the past year or two. The closer Episode VII gets the more people are trying real hard to convince themselves and everyone else that they actually love the prequels, have always loved them and that the films themselves are misunderstood masterpieces. In the age of reddit, who really wants to have an opinion that isn't going to get an upvote? Liking the prequels is just so much more a la mode now.

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Maybe not hated. Personally speaking, I know from discussion and chats that if I took a straw poll of friends and the people I work with that they all seem to think that the PT is not as good as the OT. Maybe thats just a small reflection on the general public and the casual fans who have no inclination to frequent a SW forum.

solo77 likes this.
  12. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    Everyone's a Star Wars fan here. No pressure to try to impress some casual folks on how big of a SW fan you are by whipping out the prequels, EU, the Clone Wars... whatever it may be; everyone already knows this stuff here and has already formulated their own opinion about it. We're not the audience for that.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly, I would also say that the "general public" doesn't even share their opinion online.

14. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Hmm. On the one hand, most of my IRL friends who like/have seen Star Wars do like, or at least don't dislike, the prequels. On the other hand, I've found that when I mention to an older adult that I like Star Wars, the "but only the originals, right?" reaction is not exactly uncommon. And my dad, who hadn't seen the prequels until this year, had avoided them for over a decade due to hearing such negative things about them. So I think the "general public" assumes the PT is hated more than it actually is.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    As do the younger fans that it's simply 'older' ones that may not like them as well. It is not a generation or age thing like many try to force.

16. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    My nine year old likes the OT, not because I influence his choices (he's a brony for petes sake) but he claims the PT is boring and he doesn't know what's going on half the time.

17. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Or...you know, people actually like them and aren't trying to convince themselves of anything.

18. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I don't think it's just a generation or age thing - like I said in my original post, my dad likes the prequels just fine, and I do know some people closer to my own age (though mainly on the Internet/fansites, not the "general public") who don't like them. But just because there isn't a hard-and-fast divide doesn't mean there isn't any correlation between fannish generation (e.g. was alive for the OT vs. grew up with the PT) and view on the prequels. All I'm saying is that, in my own personal experience, a higher proportion of people close to my own age view the prequels favorably than the proportion of people closer to my parents' age.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Nor did I say there is no correlation. I am saying many people particularly the young make too much of an assumption regarding it 'one size hardly fits all'. Perception is the key NOT age.

20. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    People who aren't part of the Star Wars fandom and dislike the Prequels are an even bigger minority than their counterparts within the SW fandom.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Because there is a lesser percentage of Star Wars fans in the general public than on a Star Wars forum. The prequels are niche films. Cult films. So it would make sense not to find fans of it in the general public.

From Wikipedia:

22. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

think you got it backwards tbh.

"outsiders" are either more educated about film in general or they aren't such big Star Wars fans so they're more "able" or willing to critique the prequels.

TFN members are just such massive Star Wars fans that they'll praise all the cool Star Wars stuff in the PT just 'cause they like Star Wars even if the films themselves aren't all that great.

Strongbow likes this.
  23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I mostly agree. There is a LOTS of great stuff in the PT, despite their very significant flaws. The kind of Star Wars fan that comes to TFN is more likely than the general audiences to appreciate the great stuff, despite the not-so-great stuff.

24. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Impossible, since I haven't been a Star Wars fan prior to the PT, in fact I'm a Star Wars fan because of the PT.

The reason has already been named: There is a basic sense of culture and respectful interaction between civilized humans to be found here, simply because it's enforced by the moderators and their rules. People need rules, otherwise it's just primitive chaos. The internet with sites like YouTube, reddit and other places are just proof of that.

25. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    No one said it's impossible to be a fan because of the PT.