main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why is the Prequel Triolgy hated less on TFN than in the general public?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, May 12, 2015.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

You nailed it, Samnz. I don't mind a bit of a brawl now and again, but I'm glad that TFN offers something different. Free-for-alls are okay, but it's hard to get quality discussion if anarchy is allowed to reign.

Oh, and...

Did you just quote Daultay Dofine here? :p

Andy Wylde and Samnz like this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    "outsiders" are either more educated about film in general or they aren't such big Star Wars fans so they're more "able" or willing to critique the prequels.
    ---------

totally disagree

I have IMDB as case in point for evidence.

Cryogenic likes this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think the consensus from the general public is that the Star Wars community itself is not aligned with the PT. That Star Wars fans are purists and consider the PT an abomination. So the general public figures to go along with that. Because really, that was, and in some ways still is, the vibe given off by the Star Wars community.

I think the same could be said for the LOTR OT vs it's PT.

As opposed to say, Harry Potter, where that community overwhelmingly and unequivocally supports and gushes about all the films. Subsequently, the average general public movie goer has a sense that they are all good films.

I know you can find examples where the fandom of a certain film has no bearing on what the general public thinks, but in these examples I think it does have an impact.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I remember the HP craze. It seemed like everyone loved them. When I saw them I didn't get why. I didn't like them.

Really, I doubt the 'general public' cares much. It's the media that concerns me and I've learned to ignore it and make my own mind up what works and what doesn't.

Darthmaul208 and sonnyleesmith like this.
  5. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    some of the responses to my post are basically "I'm so much smarter than the general public. they are just dumb and go with the crowd and don't like the PT because there's a conspiracy to make everyone hate the PT. I know true art when I see it but the general public doesn't". come on now don't be ridiculous. :p the "general public" really doesn't care that much.

never said it was impossible for the PT to make you like Star Wars.

basically all I'm saying is that if you are a massive Star Wars fan, you're going to appreciate the lore and such more because you love Star Wars-ish stuff. some of us might be like "woah I've always wondered how this battle played out nice" but some other people might be like "yeah cool and all but that doesn't mean it's a great film". it means we're biased, myself included. doesn't mean we're so much deeper and all that than the "general public" lol.

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    edit: nevermind

7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Man, I don't know about that. I took a Harry Potter course in college (I, ah, needed a break from 19th century literature ;) ), and the bulk of the course seemed to be taken up by large sections of the class bitching about how the movies were terrible compared to the books.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Or we think that they are good films. Not the first time that has happened.

9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

^ What he said!

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015

I have not made a single post that suggests that there are no "genuine" PT fans or whatever.

I fully believe you when you say that you think the PT films are good.

don't know what specific point you're all trying to make with IMDb because that could mean a lot of things.

you guys are so defensive lol. it's okay to admit that a Star Wars fan site is probably biased when it comes to films in the Star Wars series.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never mentioned IMDB. But as to people being biased, the bias isn't because we're here on a board dedicated to the Saga. I liked TPM a full two years before I set foot on here. And there are plenty of other people who aren't on a SW board that enjoy the PT.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was fairly active on a Harry Potter fan site about 12 years ago and that was the consensus there as well, in fact, I think the hard-core Harry Potter fans generally prefer the books and have issues with the movies. Myself included.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Exactly.

I'm into the "lore" of Star Wars; but generally as rendered through the PT.

And, in the case of big films like these, which construct their own fantasy worlds, it's hard to separate lore from film-making, or vice versa.

In other words, I quite admire the construction of the prequel movies on their own terms, or as an integrated whole, and am fascinated by the way they were shot, scored, edited, etc.

That and, of course, I love the themes being tackled, and the general sweep and scope of the story. The grandeur of the PT never fails to impress me; and I am continually moved by the operatic qualities of the films generally.

Perhaps I am too lenient or something on the individual instalments, but since I prefer looking at the three movies as one story in three movements, I find that a moot point.

The one thing that being here has done for me -- and here's the "bias" you're looking for -- is that it has helped bolster my appreciation of the prequel trilogy and its respective constituent parts; which being on a fan site should always do.

In conversation with other fans, and conversation simply with myself, I have found new depths to the films, new intricacies, new wrinkles. And I feel I comprehend and admire the thematic tapestry better: how everything fits together and what the artist was going for (consciously and in more of a subliminal sense).

Furthermore, as time has passed and new films have come out, I find that the prequels have aged like a fine wine; which is something of a misnomer as they still feel very modern and up-to-date to me (albeit, paradoxically, with all sorts of old-fashioned, classical stylings). I mean, I look around at what you might problematically term "rival" entertainments, and the PT comes out still looking fresh and different, in my view.

It was worth all that grind and investment that Lucas and thousands of cast and crew put into the films more than ten years ago, over a period of some ten or twelve years, and it's worth all that and more, now, in my opinion.

14. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Oh yeah, and you can count me as one of those who prefer the books to the films (of course, 9 out of 10 times the book is going to be better than the film anyway). But man, these kids were freaking brutal. Even the teacher went so far as to freeze frame a shot from Goblet of Fire wherein only Dumbledore's hand was in frame. HIS HAND. And she started nitpicking that his hands and nails didn't look the way Dumbledore's hands should look (I really wish I were making this up).

I remember someone complaining about how stupid it was that Kreacher was almost cut out of Order of the Phoenix and how terrible that would have been because of his role in Deathly Hollows. But, seriously, in the context of the time of which that entry was filmed, I wouldn't have blamed the filmmakers for cutting him out if they did. His part could have easily been written out of OOTP, and they had no idea at the time of what was going to happen with him in book 7 because it hadn't been published yet.

Harry Potter unfortunately didn't have the convenience of something like Lord of the Rings because only the first three books had been published by the time they started filming Sorcerer's Stone. They had no idea what cuts they could or couldn't make at the time.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. Making the movies while the books were still coming out was not the best idea. Thank heavens for JK Rowling on the Kreacher thing.
    Heck, thank heavens for the Moody actor wanting the Malfoy Ferret scene in the movie.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The freeze-frame shot of Dumbledore's hand analysis is pretty bad.

And I would have totally taken a college course on Harry Potter if I were young enough; I guess that's one reason to be glad I was 25 when the first one came out.

JoshieHewls and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Two reasons a lot of us here Grew up on the PT or watched it during that time

and Moderaters.

mes520 likes this.
  18. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Oh yeah, if anything that course made me a Harry Potter fan. I'd never read a single HP book nor seen any of the movies at that point. We were assigned only the odd numbered books, but I somehow managed to read all 7 books during that 10 week course (on top of the other reading I had to do for my other English classes).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'd say those are the people who really delved into it and wanted to see things wrong the films, the same way some do in the Star Wars community about the PT vs the OT. Most of the people I have known and met have been pretty unequivocally supportive and huge fans of the HP films. So for me, even though I've only seen one with any intent, the rest in passing, I have this sense that they are all just good films. Whereas in Star Wars, from the start of the PT you had people really bashing it, and I think that whole attitude kind of rubbed off on the general public.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Wanted to see things wrong in the films"?

Or...maybe...wanted the films to be consistent with the books as opposed to having Hermione take over a few of Ron's roles simply because Kloves liked her so much.

Back on topic--if people were "really bashing" the PT from the outset, maybe there was a reason for that.

And if it "rubbed off" on anyone--maybe those it "rubbed off" on, should consider forming their own opinions. Maybe those opinions would match what they read, maybe not, but there is no reason to be that easily influenced.

Rellum Kire and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The HP movies are good but it sucks that they cut some good stuff. The actual Quidditch Finals match from GOF. Am I the only one who was thinking what the heck when they skipped the match? Then they made Neville into Dobby for GOF and OOTP. I could see it but I was thinking are they going to use him for the Malfoy Manor scenes? No SPEW and the memories were shortchanged in HBP.

I can understand Lucas having his own ideas (and those ideas being different from my interpretations) of how he meant the OT lines to be for the PT but they just don't work for me. They don't work as well as I think they could.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It's because as fans, we're willing to overlook minor faults in favor of small details as well as the bigger picture. The general audience doesn't tend to do that. They see the big picture only and couldn't give a hoot about the finer details.

MarcJordan likes this.
  23. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I really don't know how it's like to be like you. But I love the Saga as a whole. I wasn't big on the PT actually till a few years back around 2009. Just thought I'd say that. I'm glad I stuck through it.

Cheers!

MJ

24. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015

yeah I know.

you're all missing the point entirely.

but let's all just chill okay? I really like that one part where Palpatine goes crazy.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I would wacth a whole movie of Tom Riddle's memories. The stuff with the Gaunts was the best part of the book.