main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why is the Prequel Triolgy hated less on TFN than in the general public?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, May 12, 2015.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Having the views isn't considered trolling. Coming on here only to **** in the pool and doing it to the point that it becomes trolling, is the problem. I used to be a mod here and have seen many who did just that. They weren't coming in here to post in a manner that was acceptable. They were just here to vent and not take the time to try and engage in a civil discussion. Occasionally we had the poster who came here to be offensive. Such as the guy who used a derogatory slur for people of Middle Eastern descent, in both his posts and in his screen name.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I personally find that people who dismiss any criticism of the PT as "herd mentality" are reaching. I think its only going to get worse when TFA comes out. Any reviews that mention it being better than Phantom Menace will be automatically labeled as being affected by rose-tinted nostalgia by certain people.

3. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think the biggest problem that the PT had to overcome with some people, is the preconceived notions we'd built up over time.

Now, I was fortunate in that the PT pretty much came off as I'd expected. It met (and in some places) exceeded my expectations. So I was able to embrace it and generally overlook some of the more minor issues I had with them.

That's the same problem I'm now facing with the ST. I look at the little that's been released and virtually NOTHING I've seen matches up with my 30 odd year expectations. So I'm looking to temper my expectations as much as possible,since as it stands now, it's not looking very much like I hoped it would.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Only if TFA is not that good a film, or is on par with TPM. There are going to be harsh critics of TFA as there were TPM, but for different reasons. Such as Lucas wasn't that involve, to the OT actors being too old, to the use of nostalgia, and so on.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I approach the impact of TFA and the Anthology a bit differently - I can't wait to see how the story gets bigger. Use of certain characters and nuances, working bits of the PT and OT soundtrack into the ST, and so on. Really should help refresh the discussion of the themes that will connect the trilogies.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I agree with you on that. However, it works both ways. I've been here long enough to remember a time when people were criticized for liking the films as being so-called Gushers and hater as so-called Bashers. There were two herds.

But we are all SW fans in the end and have leveled accusations of herd mentality both ways over the years.

7. NATIONALGREATNESS

NATIONALGREATNESS Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2006
    Seriously? I can imagine it's bad on places that have zero moderation. YouTube is full of ***T...for example, I'm a big fan of Richard Wagner's music. Because of the third reich, every single video of Wagner's operas on YouTube has some idiot Nazis making offensive comments, some other idiots making anti Wagner comments, and so on. It's truly pathetic.

But the idea that in terms of the PT, one can't even discuss it in a positive way on even most well moderated forums is...eh. If the internet is STILL that full of mindless Stoklasa followers and jerks then maybe it should be strictly moderated by unbiased moderators.

Because, why is it like this? Haven't those jerks tired of being jerks and gone on to actually live their lives? I'd never say it's wrong to criticise the PT. But there is a huge difference between reasonable critiques of the PT, and blatant, childish attacks on the PT.

8. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    It's the dark side. Easier to hate than to love :)

Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  9. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I grew up on the PT, and I'm happy to criticize the writng and the dialogue, because those are the only things that bug me about the PT, I don't have rose tinted glasses, but I do look forward to the ST criticism, because someone will always find something to critisize.

Just released in the new Star Wars comic set between ANH and ESB, Han Solo has been apparently, "ruined forever" because
    Han Solo is married!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think Han is ruined. They simply go against some people's expectations just like PT did. It doesn't inherently make it bad.

11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Han being married is surprising...really surprising. :eek:

But I don't think it ruins his character or anything.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The same reason that we still talk about the movies, ten years later after ROTS. Why some people who dislike the PT and the SE's, still talk about it. They just do. Some will do it because they like to get someone riled up. Others, well, they don't come here to discuss these things. Or they do, but don't want to deal with the mods or people who can came back hard.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Approach does matter for a lot, yes but that's on all sides not simply those that dislike PT. Contrary to how many seem to act people CAN discuss something they're not overly keen on civilly.

14. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    I think Han being married is a ruse. That scoundrel!

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Exactly. People here lack perspective.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Some may, not all.

17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Well, yeah. I was speaking generally.

Obviously, you don't have to post online to be obsessed with something. There are other outlets; and some stew in silence.

But it's pretty much a universal principle that a lot of people who post comments -- especially repeatedly, on message board forums -- are obsessed; at least in ways the general public aren't.

Even then, you can read plenty of comments online from people with no particular obsession. Most people now have access to the Internet (in countries with some basic infrastructure, anyway).

Forums, though, like this one...? Sorry, but if you're here, and if you've got post counts in the thousands, you're obsessed, plain and simple. And obsession can lead to a loss of perspective.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    You want the impossible. :p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    To each their own, Cryo. I'm here and I ain't obsessed. :p

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes you are.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Why is the Prequel Triolgy hated less on TFN than in the general public?
    As the OP said, yes we're SW fans (and hardcore ones, at that,) so we can be more forgiving, but I feel it also has to do with the fact that we can take the good with the bad. We can appreciate the things that Lucas and others did do right in the PT. We can also notice the plot connections and the small nods to the OT. Most general public SW fans just see it's not as good as the OT and write it off as garbage, instead of appreciating what the PT did give us.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    TJT: You and other may *think* so but I know otherwise. :p

23. OBIWANARNO

OBIWANARNO Jedi Master star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    The reason I have avoided any kind of PT vs. OT discussion for many years now is the fact that too many people (although not on this forum) simply said that my views (which I had backed up with logic unlike most of those who hated the films) were not worthy of a response because I said I liked the PT as much as the OT. That was just something they could not understand and after a while it got really boring so I stopped posting on such "discussions".

In my opinion Revenge of the Sith and The Empire Strikes Back are the two greatest films (for different reasons) and I love both the trilogies. And I hope EVII will be a good addition to the series and I don't doubt that even though I'm sure there will some things I will not be happy with in the film. My worst fear is that they will decide to ignore things from the PT or do things that don't make sense based on what happened before just because they didn't like it (after all if you look at Abrams' Star Trek films he wasn't concerned with things making sense with the original Star Trek fans there). But I am looking forward to EVII and especially the old gang and I hope Luke will have a big role (if not in EVII then in the next two films).

Of course the PT isn't perfect but neither was the OT. There are great things in both trilogies and also things that were not great (like in most films). However, some people seem to forget that quite often in regard to the OT.

Andy Wylde and Luukeskywalker like this.
  24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

We're sometimes a poor judge of our own character.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you're obsessed with peter cushing correct?