main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is the Republic always good?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Why_So_Serious, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    This is Star Wars.

You know, Star Wars:

Not too ambiguous with the good guys and bad guys.

2. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Considering the #1 baddie in all of Star Wars is the Republic Chancellor they aren't all that :)

rumsmuggler and V-2 like this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Palpatine is not an ambiguous character, he's a certain villain that's in disguise.

Paparazzo likes this.
  4. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Does this mean that all female officers will be required to wear...TINY MINISKIRTS???

Seerow likes this.
  5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I dunno, I don't think we've seen any females under the CIS military directly. Maybe Miraj? LOL, It really Roy's character and the jist of his background story and development that I think would work. I wonder if there is a force power for flames...

6. starve

starve Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    This kind of intelligent plot complexity was beyond Lucas' capability. You're right though. I've held the position that the Jedi needed to be wiped out because they were incompetent. A case could be made that they are actually evil, since they stupidly serve the will of the chancellor and the corrupt senate. The "bad guys" who make up the separatists are just the future "good guys" from the Rebel Alliance who were paying attention.

Lucas boxed them into a corner with this because he doesn't know how to write human motivation. That's a big reason why I hope that the future installments get as far away from any of Lucas' pre-written story outlines.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Good points. It's the corrupt versus the corrupt. Both sides aren't worth fighting for, and the Jedi are either too blind or too callous to do anything about it. I think this is what Obi-Wan meant when he said "A foolish, idealistic crusade".

Bottom line is, the Republic aren't the good guys, either.

8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    It still irks me, this whole complaint of, "if we havent seen it on screen then it hasn't happened." Despite times where the Republic's desperation to fight their enemy was mentioned in the opening narration, there are people who still disregard how much of a dire situation the Republic is really in, and they don't give enough credit to the CIS (or Grievous) when it is due. Would I like to see a CIS victory on the screen? Hell yes, it would be awesome. We've seen a few here and there, but on a smaller scale. But we shouldn't discount what information we are being told.

Paparazzo likes this.
  9. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I'd like to see an absolute CIS win- many clones lost and perhaps a background Jedi or two. It would be nice to see Grievous effortlessly add a few lightsabers to his collection.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No.

Show, do not tell.

I am able to assume many things and accept that some things must happen off screen, but the villains' competency is not one of them.

Really, you're suggesting we should accept the villains based on the opening narrations and not what actually happens on screen.

11. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    "Because good is dumb" Lord Helmet

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We need to see the Separatists win and we really need stories told from their point of view.

13. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    "Heroes On Both Sides" touched up on this issue, and I'd bet as we get closer to RotS the Republic will be more and more hated.

14. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    "Heroes On Both Sides" was a step in the right direction, but it felt more like a "here's an episode about this, never to be seen again". As much as I suspect the upcoming Tarkin/Ahsoka arc is going to be "The Republic can be evil...for these episodes."

Though saying that, seeing how they made even the reviled Corruption/Academy episodes (which personally I don't think are that bad, tea and all)relevant in a grander scheme of things with Mauldalore, I have a reasonable hope that "Heroes On Both Sides" and what was introduced in it (The Separatist Parliament, for one) will go on to have a larger impact on future stories.

QuangoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.