main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why is the Star Wars Saga cool to you?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CoolyFett, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatine's SOG

Palpatine's SOG Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    Started with the movies but i fell in love with the lore.

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  2. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Kickass universe compared to many of the other sci-fi universes out there.

3. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    "It feels like everything else dissapears", "No past and no future", "Just the moment"[face_blush]

4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I love the "home" feel to Star Wars. I always feel comfortable and in my element when involved in Star Wars.

I love the nostalgic feel of Star Wars.

I love that it can be loved equally well by a 35 year old man and a 2 year old girl.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Star Wars was always a good way to pick up guys. And starting a conversation about Star Wars, immediately ran off the guys who were just looking for a shallow girl who would sleep with them.

I think it's cool the way the franchise has spread out--there's something for everyone. Video games, board games, action figures, and for the girly-girl types, dolls and costumes. And this message board is proof positive that the franchise draws in people from all walks of life and all different interests.

And yes, introducing Star Wars to a new generation is beyond awesome, I love seeing the excitement recreated in my own kids and my nephews.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It's cool to me because half of the series is deeply hated by hardcore Christopher Nolan fans.

Count Yubnub and -NaTaLie- like this.
  7. Maul Plagueis

Maul Plagueis Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2012
    A couple different reasons.
    1. I liked all the different planets they traveled to
    2. The battles, such as lightsaber duels and also the clone wars battle
    3. All the different species and aliens were interesting to me

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Honestly, I don't even remember why I loved Star Wars to begin with anymore. I think at first it was about Empire Strikes Back and the bad guy winning, or at least the big reveal that "the devil" was your real father.

Nowadays, it's more about the politics and philosophy for me. Still, I think the fact that Star Wars seems like the most ALIEN of all the sci-fi franchises is what makes it the most appealing. More different looking characters, more environments. It's not just a faraway world. It's a far, far away world.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Fans whining about the prequels is worse than that of Luke and Anakin combined. It used to annoy me, but now it's actually somewhat amusing.

Samnz likes this.
  10. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Light sabers did it for me.

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

11. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I wouldn't go so far as to call the Saga cool.
    It certainly has cool elements within it. Han and Lando are cool. Obi-Wan is cool. Lightsabers are cool. Most of the fighters and starships are cool. But I think it also has a lot of uncool stuff too. Binks, for one. Threepeio's puns in AOTC, some of the shameless merchandising tie-ins..

My point is that it's level of coolness is too inconsistent for the term to be applied to the Saga, or even the franchise, as a whole.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

But that doesn't mean I don't love it. :)

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Some hardcore Christopher Nolan fans. [face_whistling]

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  13. Master Jedi Kenobi

Master Jedi Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    true some of the quotes are pretty cheesy but if you're a star wars fan you kind of see past that.

Plus lightsabers are probably the coolest weapon in film history, which helps :)

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Much, Much, Much.

1. From a story-telling perspective, it's the closest thing to a story-telling mosaic that I've yet seen on film: that it, several complete stories that work as standalone films with their own complete beginnings, middles, and ends and yet also work as chapters in a larger story. The Saga doesn't quite have the movies working as standalone films, but this is the closest thing yet to it I've seen in film. There are some series, like LOTR, that tell one story, but who's separate films don't even come close to standing alone. Other series, like the Dark Knight trilogy, have separate stories, but don't really tell one complete tale.

2. The blending of operatic story-telling, motif music, action and adventure. The general ambition of the saga to combine all these elements is impressive.

3. The visual iconography. Considering that even though the prequels are frequently dismissed as forgettable, a jedi knight's costume is instantly recognizable, as is Darth Maul and Queen Amidala (in that red dress and golden headdress).

Edit: Also for #3, everyone knows what a Sith is

15. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    1. Lightsabers: Coolest weapon ever.
    2. The Force: So mysterious, if you've never acted like you're using the force to open automatic doors, you haven't lived.
    3. Cool looking characters: Vader, Yoda, Maul, Grievous, Boba Fett, Plo Koon, Royal Guards, Stormtroopers, etc.
    4. So diverse: So many different planets, spaceships, aliens, etc.
    5. Special Effects: So groundbreaking and ahead of their time.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Because I keep the DVDs in the refrigerator.

17. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Why is it cool to me? Because no matter how terrible the last movie was, there is still an entire unknown universe to explore and a nearly bottomless pool of talented people that are also fans to draw upon to tell those stories.

Especially now... (Thank you oxidative stress, protein instability, and DNA damage! :D )

18. CommanderXGhost

CommanderXGhost Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    So many things.

Republic/Imperial Military
    Jedi/Sith
    Mandalorians
    Space Craft
    Epic Ground battles
    Epic Space battles
    Various other Bounty Hunters
    Different Alien species and Cultures
    Unique planets/homeworlds.
    Magnificent weaponry (Republic, Imperial, Rebel issued military grade blasters)
    Criminal Underworld (Expanded Universe, i.c. Black Sun)
    Amazing characters, stories, plots, appearences, etc

The Saga Continues...

19. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    JEDI and Lightsabers and Han Solo thats all three words u need for Star Wars.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2013
    A: I watched ESB and RotJ when they first came out in cinema (I was very young), then not again until I after I left home (about 11 years later, then not again until just a couple of years ago
    With each time, it was great to watch and enjoyed
    That can't be said for many movies/stories!

21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Lots o' reasons, but I guess I really dig the idea that it's like some epic frieze -- only far too big and weird and distorted and personal and different to adequately fit into any museum or art gallery ever.

Consider the big and the small of it some time. See it as a weave with limitless stitches and sub-components. Love all the riffs, the doodles, the dances, the subversions.

Visually and every other which way, it's too big to really comprehend. But you can dive right in and try to understand it recursively. Sort of. And whenever you go, "Oh, I've got it, now" -- this or that pattern, riff, "message", or whatever -- off it goes again, slipping away like a fish that's newly been pulled out of the water, back to its own ecosystem, away from interfering human hands. You can grasp it for a while, but never for too long. The fun comes in enjoying the full interplay, the complete cycle. When you strive to understand it, you won't. When you let it flow free, or just appreciate the momentary process of "getting it", only for the fuller process of discovery to unfold, and the realization it's that fuller process that is really yours to enjoy, THAT's when it comes good.

StarWarsVerses likes this.
  22. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    the context of lightsabers and sci-fi, but the message within the context:

Good always defeats evil in the end.

Everything else revolves around that, and it speaks to my soul.

23. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    I love books and movies because they take me on adventures to other worlds, and no story does that more completely to me than Star Wars. How many other stories are set in a completely fictional universe? There's almost always some connection to our world - it's in the distant past or future, Earthlings visit another world or people from another world visit us...but Star Wars is unique in that it created a complete original setting. There's absolutely no connection to the Earth. These stories should have no impact on our world whatsoever...yet we care deeply about the characters. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. That's what I love about it.

I also love that such a rich and original story was created solely for film. It wasn't an adaption of a novel or a comic book or a TV show or anything else - George Lucas just decided to create one of the most original stories of all time specifically for the movies. I love that.

24. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    It's an epic saga that puts the age-old story of good vs. evil into a richly drawn and fantastically realised sci-fi setting with engaging characters and a fascinating mythology.

And plenty of men who don't understand it and never will. Sadly, my husband still thinks Star Wars (and indeed all sci-fi) is 'silly', even after 11 years of marriage! :eek:

25. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    For me, it's all the amazing depth and richness of the universe it's set in. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.