main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is the tecnology different?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    Why is the technology different from the original series (Ep4-6) to the prequels (Ep1-3)?!

2. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    The Clone Wars will be such a devestating conflict that many technologies will be lost and the galaxy will fall into it's equivelant of the dark ages of western europe

After the Clone Wars all that matters is bringing order back to the galaxy, and that's where Palpatine and his new order come in

And the technology in many places is actually less then what we see in the OT, such as the use of rockets in the battle of geonosis. It's just everything in the PT is part of a more civilized era where making things look nice is all part of it

Everything in the Roman Empire looked really nice even if it wasn't as good as later tools with similar uses, because during say the dark ages making things look nice was the last thing anyone worried about

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yep. In the prequels (at least in TPM and AOTC), it's a civilized age. There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic. The Queen's ship is shiny and sleek, and the Naboo Fighters are made more for looking good than for fighting. After the war starts, function becomes a lot more important than looks. An X-Wing or TIE Fighter might not look as nice as a Naboo Fighter, but I'm pretty sure that they're both more powerful.

4. OrlandoT

OrlandoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 1999
    >>>An X-Wing or TIE Fighter might not look as nice as a Naboo Fighter, but I'm pretty sure that they're both more powerful.<<<

Great point Yoda Jeff. The PT technology does look pretier, but it lacks the muscle of the OT. A real world comparison would be the Titanic and the Nimitz. The Titanic was more luxurious yet it wouldn't last half a second against a crude looking battleship.

5. lando77

lando77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    How do we know the technology is really differnet? The PT is a time of peace.. we see peaceful planets. The war machines we see are military defense machines.

In the OT, we see a time of Civil war. We don't got to peaceful planets, execpt Dagaboh and Bespin. And, we see war machines.

I don't think it's a question of difference in technology in the universe. It's just a different time and place. Compare 2003 USA to 2003 Iraq..

6. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    In the OT we don't see any major worlds where you would find the see the most impressive technology. All we get is Tatooine, Yavin 4, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin and Endor. Hardly the bright lights of civilisation.

7. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Bespin is probably as far as you get to anything that would come close to lets say Coruscant, Naboo, Kuat, or Corellia.

As for the techonolgy, probably everyone is correct.

8. bountyhuntr

bountyhuntr Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    in 1978-1982 they couldn't have such detailed and complex work. Just about everything was put together by hand. Now, with the prequels, it is 23 years later and they have computers do everything. Not many things were done by hand in TPM and AOTC and definetly episode III (whatever theyre gonna call it

9. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    That's not true. There were many props and models used for the PT.

In fact, AotC and TPM had more models than most films made to date.

10. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I do not think they are referring to the technology of the effects, but the technology of the SW universe.

11. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yeah, I was just correcting bountyhuntr's uninformed post. ;)

12. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Thanks Master. Did not realy get his post until I read it again.

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Suppose the same could be said of the clothes, in the PT the clothes are very eccentric and 'beautiful', if you like that kinda thing, but in the OT the clothes are very plain and bland - compare Amidala's clothes to Leia's.

I think Lucas makes a reference to this on the DVD extras for AOTC, but don't quote me on that.

14. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I dont belive that Crap about lost Technologies,the Empire being a Military Dictatorship is much more technologically advanced than the Galactic Republic,it has better fighters,ships,weapons and pretty much everything else, its designed to do a job which primarily involves genocide and violent warfare and is not designed to look pretty,star destroyers and the two Death Stars are much more advanced than Trade Federation Battleships and droid starfighters.

The empire cares about power and performance not appearance and comfort,it mostly Clone Soldiers and conscripted punks that became imperial officers,i doubt that clones and conscripted officers care anything at all about having flashy looking ships,they care more about speedy ships and powerfull weapons and dont waste time making impressive looking starships and technology, the Star Destroyers werent pretty but they sure had alot of heavy Turbolasers and weapons that did a pretty good job of wiping out enemy ships,they also had really tough shields and armor that provided excellent protection,a TF battleship wouldnt last 5 minutes againt one.

15. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Tha would probably be because the TF "battleships" were simply ore haulers with guns and shield generators strapped on ;).

16. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Well if you consider the EU then cloaking technology and most likely others were lost as a result of the clone wars

But technology as a whole did advance, people just stopped caring about how it looked

The Geonosians' droid factory didn't look very nice, it was crude but effective, only thing is there only the factory looked bad while what it produced looked nice

But by the time of the OT both factories and their products are crude but effective

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.