main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is there more bad games than the other generations?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by LukeGroundwalker, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I always wonder, why is there so many bad games in this generation. Back then I could buy a random game and have fun with it. But now when I choose a random game it usually sucks. Why is this?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think a lot of that type of observation stems from the differing nature between 3D and 2D games- 3D games tend to push graphical aspects more, striving for a immersive feel, while 2D games tended to focus on challenge and progression, thoguh tehre was a certain repetive cycle usually implemented.

Which is not to say thats the case for every 2D/3D game, but what tends to affect "random games" the most in terms of percieved quality (as opposed to top titles like KOTOR, Zelda, Halo, etc).

3. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Yea, KotOR, Battlefront, etc all suck! :rolleyes:

Voodoo Vince, I got free, and actaully enjoyed it. :p

4. LukeGroundwalker

Jun 6, 2005
    I never said they sucked, I just said there is more sucky games now, than in the 80's and 90's.

5. JediGaven

JediGaven Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2004
    Because the Video Game industry is almost like the movie industry -- if you went to a video store, pulled a movie out of a box, what are your chances of it being a good movie?

Video Games now are more thought and advertisment hyped. The more time, money, and advertising put into a game, the more popular it will be.

Examples: Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Fable, the GTA games (III-SA).

Think of vid games then, in the 80's. Not much thought of a compelling story can be put into them, but look now -- video games are like movies almost.

6. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    I don't really think it's that hard to find a good title these days. You just need to know where to look and which titles to avoid. I mean, in the day and age of games such as Half Life 2, Halo 2, and Doom 3, not to mention all of the other titles that I don't have time to put down, I'm sure you'd be able to find something you'd like. Granted, there are plenty of trash can worthy titles out there, but the truely bad ones are few and far bewteen.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>in the day and age of games such as Half Life 2, Halo 2, and Doom 3, not to mention all of the other titles that I don't have time to put down, I'm sure you'd be able to find something you'd like.<<

So long as you like FPS ;)

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Expectations rise.

Example: The Commodore64 was the best computer ever!

Cuz you have fond thoughts of it, being fresh and new. If you actually sat down and tried to use a Commodore, you would be pulling your hair out in about 2 seconds.

9. LukeGroundwalker

Jun 6, 2005
    I agree, but for a casual gamer it is hard to just pick a random game and have fun with it.

10. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Sports games usually have good appeal to casual gamers.

11. Shackleton

May 16, 2004
    So long as you like FPS

True, but I could also rattle off plenty of games from other genres that are great in ther own right. Those three were just the first three that came to mind. Every genre from FPS to RTS to RPG to sports to MMORPG to simulation has great representatives. Due to the explosion of the video games industry in the last decade, however, it does mean searching through some craptacular games in order to find real gems.

12. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    That's because there's so many imitation games out there now. They tend to all
    blend together, and therefore seem really bad.

13. Shackleton

May 16, 2004
    ^That's true as well. I'd retire right now if I had a nickel for every time I saw a game with Tycoon somewhere in it's title on store shelves. That's why a little research never hurt anyone. It'd be the same as reading a review for a movie to find out whether or not it'd be worth seeing.

14. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I think that most of the creative juices that are used to make quality games has been all but used up. I mean how many times can you retell the same story and still make it seem fresh and exciting to play? Now some game just come with flashy new graphics and they tell us that that is supposed to be a new game?

There are only so many different ways to tell the same story.
    As quoted from Night '...they are all the same story just with different shirtless men on the cover.' Only he is talking about his love for half naked men on the cover of smutty books.

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Example: The Commodore64 was the best computer ever!

Cuz you have fond thoughts of it, being fresh and new. If you actually sat down and tried to use a Commodore, you would be pulling your hair out in about 2 seconds.

Hey, i *DO* sit down and pull the ole' C64 out, every couple of years, and i still love it :)

At any rate, i think alot of the blame can be laid at the feet of us as Gamers. I know i personally don't have anywhere NEAR the patience with games today that i had with games that i played when i was younger. Might have something to do with not having the time to devote to games that i used to, i don't know, but i know that nowadays i'm much quicker to pass judgement on a game and qualify it as "not being worth my time" then i was 10 years ago..

16. Xuial

Xuial Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    A company known as EA doesn't help the problem either...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.