main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is this villian so popular?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedimaster89, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    maul was over hyped for ep 1 so that might have something to do with it. he has no lines so i don't really see the appeal. i thought dooku was much better in this regard

No lines mat I suggest that you watch TPM again.

2. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    at last we will have our revenge.
    at last we will....blahblahblahblahblah.

Hardly the intelligent discourse Dooku is capable of. In a different thread, I compared Darth Maul to Luca Brasi from the Godfather. He is a thug, a henchman, the hired muscle, and that is all. Nobody goes to Maul to get his opinion on strategy, he isn't trusted to carry out complex plots, unlike Dooku. All Maul's job was to try to kill some Jedi. Dooku was placed in charge of the day to day operations of an entire war effort, being run by Palpatine playing both sides. Dooku has a hell of a lot more responsibility placed on him than Maul. Going back to a Godfather reference, Dooku would be more akin to Tom Hagen, the consigliere to the Godfather. Hired goons are fun for a while. But after a while, only being able to start sentences with "At last we will.." gets old. Maul was a brainless goon.

3. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Maul represents the hopes and dreams, of many people throughtout the world.

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    You should add "CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT VILLIAN I'M REFERENCING IN THE VAGUEST OF TERMS"

5. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I compared Darth Maul to Luca Brasi from the Godfather.

Luca was never in line to take over the family business. So in that respect, it'd be more accurate to say that Maul was like Sonny. :p

Actually, I've never really understood why so many people think that Maul was just a drooling idiot with a homicidal streak. Perhaps some are confusing lack of development with lack of brains. It's not like he was going around saying, "Jedi bad. Kill! Kill!"

We have next to nothing that would indicate his level of smarts and what little there is seems to lean toward the intelligent side. For example, giving him that smooth, cultured voice would be counterproductive if we were supposed to believe he was nothing more than a "brainless goon". I also doubt that Sidious would put years and years of effort into training someone from a very young age just to be used as hired muscle.

I have nothing against Dooku. But considering the fact that Sidious only took him because of Maul's untimely death and was then quickly discarded as soon as Anakin was ripe for the picking, I'd hardly say he was ideal.

But, honestly, ?this bickering is pointless?. If anyone is dim, it's Anakin. 8-}

6. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Maul represents the hopes and dreams, of many people throughtout the world.

That is an awesome quote, whether or not it was intended to be sarcastic.

7. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    More of a question is whats not to like about Maul. He is the definition of a Sith warrior and they may be evil but they are pretty wicked as well.

Darth Vader before the suit is pretty wicked too but he loses the only duel we really see him in so hes coolness goes down abit. :p

8. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Why do we find need to form competition between characters? They all contribute to the same saga people, especially when you are talking specifically about Sith. The characters (Both Anakin/Vader and Maul) have more depth in light of each other. Same goes for Dooku.
    The progression of the Sith from Plagueis up until Vader gives the prequels a very mythical feel.

That's an exaggeration, he only starts one sentence like that...

9. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    I for one despise Darth Maul.

-S-

10. Master_Yoder

Master_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    I'm sorry I meant to the people who doesn't give a heck about the comics.

11. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    imo maul is overrated. yea the double bladed lightsaber was awesome, but all in all he didn't do that much. and honestly, he was such an idiot to just forget about qui-gon's lightsaber

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    He did KILL Qui-Gon, don't forget. And Qui-Gon is the Jedi that learns the path to immortality, so I'd say he did something. He nearly killed Obi-Wan as well, but he fell prey to the Sith weakness of overconfidence.

13. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Maul was awesome. Bad guys don't need to have character development, sometimes they can just kick ass. Character development is just another way of saying that a character whines too much, kinda like Anakin.

14. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    [face_laugh] Maul is the roxxers3331! He pwned Qui-gon lol rofl

Sorry, just kidding.

But the point is, many things in Star Wars are in there just cause they're cool. Maul is just cool.

15. RisingForce

RisingForce Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2005
    "Maul was awesome. Bad guys don't need to have character development, sometimes they can just kick ass."

Exactly! The dude rocks! He just does and he doesnt need to have reason why. Thats how cool he is!

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "why is this villain so popular?"

You could replace "villain" with the name of pretty much ANY SW character, and there will be gushing and bashing.

Anyone.

It's so funny how much we trash the Saga that we love. [face_thinking]

17. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    True. Sith don't always have to cackle and strangle subordinates and mope around waxing philosophical about the nature of the Darkside. Don't get me wrong, Darth Sidious is my favorite character in the saga, but Darth Maul is a very close second. Sometimes you want a "Mr. Burns" badguy, like a James Bond villian, who is a plotting, wicked genius, holding all the cards, and trying to seduce the hero with promises of power and wealth. Sometimes you just want a badguy who kicks down doors, like Darth Maul. And I don't think he was unintelligent, he just knew to keep his mouth shut, and let Sidious do the thinking until it was his turn to take an apprentice (although I can't picture Maul as a wrinkly old codger).

18. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005

That's an exaggeration, he only starts one sentence like that...[/quote]

Out of how many sentences uttered in the entire movie by Maul?

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    This is pointless subjectivity...oh wait, nevermind. Forgot myslef there for a minute.

20. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    "Why in the world does everybody love Darth Maul?"
    Because he is, so just DEAL WITH IT!!!

But seriously:
    He has a cooler lightsaber than Dooku
    He looks cooler than Dooku with his yellow/red eyes and those tattoos
    He has a better sith apprentice costume than Dooku
    He has horns
    He has that "I am a bad @$$" attitude
    And most importantly- he has a way better death than Dooku, he didn't go out like a punk.
    Dooku had his hands cut off and he sat on his knees and waited for his head to be cut off.
    But Maul was flippin cut in half!

Good Stuff

21. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Out of how many sentences uttered in the entire movie by Maul?[/quote]

It doesn't matter. It's an extremely important line. Show me somewhere else in TPM we get a hint of Sith backstory.

22. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    It doesn't matter. It's an extremely important line. Show me somewhere else in TPM we get a hint of Sith backstory.[/quote]

What backstory? All we find out is that some unspecified time ago, the Jedi did something unspecific to piss off the Sith. It couldn't have possibly have been any more vague than it was. Whoopdeedoo. Its exactly the kind of unitelligent vitriole a brainless goon would say. His line made him sound ALMOST as intelligent as the Hulk saying HULK MAD! HULK SMASH! Don't get me wrong, sometimes mindless goons are fun to watch. But, villians like Palpatine and Dooku are much more compelling, because they are intelligent, and still became evil. Dooku is like Hannibal Lecter...civilized in his own way, cultured. Darth Maul is nekulturny. (if you don't know what that means, you need to read more books)

23. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Maul is cool. It's one of the easiest portions of the Star Wars mystique to understand.

24. JS2

JS2 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    i don't know beacause he is an [INSERT RUDE WORD HERE] IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

from

JS2

25. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    O...O we had the same as Anakin!

Maul as a warrior (ONLY) PWND. But he WAS PWND.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.