main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why isn't Disney allowing critics to screen TFA early? Is this a bad sign?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    There are many rumors and confirmed facts about TFA that I do not like, but I am willing to give TFA a try. That said, I think if Han Solo indeed gets killed in TFA, that will break the movie for me. That's why I am disgusted by the lack of certain confirmation whether or not Han gets killed. I wish the novelization of TFA was released a month before the movie's release (as was the case with the other six SW films). I think Abrams and Disney are being both cutesy and ridiculous.

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Han dies. Heroically. Come to peace with that before you watch the film.

3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Do what I do. Assume Solo buys the farm. Get used to it. Accept that the character has to die SOME time and a meaningful death for him might work out well. And then, if he lives, be pleasantly surprised. I don't want Solo to die either. But I don't want anyone I love to die. But every one of them will, it's just a matter of how and when. Han is old, and there are LOTS of unaccounted for years to tell stories about him. I personally wish that if they were going to kill him, it would be in 8 or 9, but I suspect it will be in 7, since an older mentor character dies in each one of the first episodes of the previous trilogies.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

First, I know that the consensus opinion in this forum is that Han gets killed. That's not enough for me. I want to know for sure. Repeatedly reading it here doesn't make me sure.

Second, I do not consider the manner of Han's rumored death to be very heroic: "They watch as Han Solo speaks to Kylo Ren, who is most likely his son. Han may try to reason with him. Talk him off the ledge. Suddenly, Kylo Ren silences the conversation with Han Solo forever. He murders Han, his likely father, in cold blood." That just seems sad to me.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It's heroic in that he confronts Kylo in order to save the rest of his friends. He sacrifices himself. And heroic and sad are not mutually exclusive. A heroic act that gets one killed is indeed sad. But it's also noble and admirable. It's a good way for Han to go, IMO.

And I'm also not referring to the consensus. While Lucasfilm has not officially confirmed it (why would they?) I personally know for a fact that Han dies.

Even if I'm wrong, it's worth preparing for it. That way you can focus on enjoying the rest of the film.

6. Stew Thom -Jinn

Stew Thom -Jinn Jedi Knight

May 5, 2014
    I think you have yo understand also that maybe the one stipulation for coming back was that Ford would only do so if they granted him his wish to kill Han off. I think this is Harrison and Kasdan's call. Will be interesting to see of George's original treatment is in the making of and if Han dying was in there all along.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Critics will see it tomorrow, but won't be permitted to officially release their reviews until Wednesday Dec 16th at 12:01am PST.

This is purely for spoiler protection.

8. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I am not going to read any reviews. I'm afraid the reviewer might reveal a spoiler. I want to remain relatively spoiler free going into the movie!

EviL_eLF likes this.
  9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    theire not screaning it becuz miky mous ears and lenz flarez and teh mystery box lolz!!!!!!!!!2!

10. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    In just over 24 hours from now it will have leaked all the spoilers will be out there easy to find.

The level of secrecy is just ridiculous though there has not been a single film in the internet age which matched the hype train. TFA will be a financial success but also not be a critics favorite as they usually go the other way when they are not allowed to see a movie in advance!

11. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015
    During the press interview that was released recently, I seem to remember Kathleen Kennedy at one point, padding John Boyega on the shoulder and looking at him, Gwendoline and Oscar while talking about how she looked forward to getting started on Episode VIII. She did not even glance at Harrison Ford sitting right next to her on the other side or include him in any way during that bit.

Biggest clue I've seen so far that Han Solo indeed dies in TFA, as well as 'confirming' that Boyega, Gwen and Oscar will survive the film.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  12. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    We're all getting "bad feelings about" Dead Mentor Syndrome that exists in the Star Wars universe, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku, Palpatine, all mentor figures kick the bucket in Star Wars.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  13. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I don't think the reviews would make one ounce of difference either way. TPM is the highest grossing of the saga, that tells you everything lol.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Spoilers.

15. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

I agree. They should release the book a few days before the movie.

UberJediPaul likes this.
  16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Why should they? It's a film. You don't need to be nursed through it by being given information in advance.

17. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

Why shouldn't they? They did it for every other SW movie. What's so special about TFA exactly?

18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Somebody here should set up a Star Wars: The Force Awakens Disappointment Hotline thread just in case the movie stinks.

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Well, rather a lot of people found it bizarre and a misjudgement that the marketing was so cavalier with spoilers such as "Qui Gon's Noble End" and the entire script being available months before release. What's "special" is that the filmmaker wants people to see the film without knowing everything about it. Like with most films.

20. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

There would be nothing wrong with releasing the book say 2 or 3 days before the release of the film. The books are always better anyway.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Then read the book then. It'll be out in a few days. You're sounding like an impatient child

22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Well, this forum is already the official hotline if you go by many comments in various TFA threads. :D

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Guys if you can't talk about this like civil people. I'm just going to lock it and ban anyone who can't. This isn't a new concept about being civil towards one another. Do you really want to spend the next week possibly behind closed doors unable to politely tell everyone how you disagree with what they're saying? I didn't think so. So step in line or step out. Your choice.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  24. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

Impatient child?! LOL! I'm not impatient at all. I plan on seeing the movie once at the theater, and not until it's been out for a few weeks. And yeah, i'll probably read the book first. If it sucks, i might not even bother with the film until it comes out on DVD.

25. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I think there can be couple reasons. Spoiler+caution. Im pretty sure in that. There always will be fear that movie won't be well received by critics/fans, even if creators think the movie looks good. So its just reasonable caution and ofc spoilers. They won't loose anything from that, but make themselves slightly more safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.