main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Why isn't Gay Adoption a bigger political issue?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Jan 28, 2013.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If you read the worst possible meaning into a statement it's your own fault.

And the initial post I stand by. There was no backtrack except to define things that no reasonable person would need defined.

Hence why I said 'legitimate' loving parents. Nowhere did I say 'children should have people who love them according to that individuals own personal definition of love which may or may not follow the accepted definition of love' When I say parents I am assuming they are people fit to have children. So when I say loving parents, any bad parent you mention is not a part of that group.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So we are supposed to second guess the intended meaning behind ridiculous statements like "Children deserve what ever parents they can get. Having them is better than not having them."?

V-2 likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So anyway... moving on...

What is your reasoning behind this?

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, there will be a certain stigma attached to a child at school with gay parents (adopted or not). Hopefully society will overcome it (by making it part of the norm). But in the current climate in many places, a kid adopted by gay parents may become targeted by his or her peers...

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I can see that... unfortunately. It's kind of like the kid with interracial parents decades ago.

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Back to the original topic, I think gay adoption is far more of an issue than you think, just below the surface. Talk to a conservative about why they are opposed to gay marriage, and gay adoption usually comes up pretty quickly.

As for the silly debate currently ongoing, I'd invite the good General to take a look at most of the pictures japes's posts in the post a picture of yourself thread before getting into an argument with him on what it takes to be a good parent.

jp-30 likes this.
  7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    While I can understand the argument, allowing it to force our hand is hardly going to contribute toward normalizing it. If anything, it would have quite the opposite effect.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There are a few reasons why adoption isn't a bigger issue on the anti-homosexual agenda.

First, we need to put all those un-aborted babies somewhere. That's an issue for the religious right to contend with. They want an abortion-free society too, and that may be higher on the list than gay marriage, and it has consequences.

Second, out of sight, out of mind. I imagine that people who would tend to oppose adoption into gay families don't see a lot of it. Given jp-30's point:
    my sense is that, as far as they have control over the matter, many gay families are very cautious about where they choose to live. In my circle of acquaintances there are at least 7 families with gay parents. Their kids are friends with my kids, on their sports teams, in their classes. And I have never once heard of any of them having trouble at school. I can't tell you that there have never been isolated incidents, but no parent I know would tolerate bullying. I chose to live in a progressive community where gay-parented families feel welcomed and where they have a lot of support. I'm sure they chose the community for the same reason.

But if I were a gay parent, I would be convinced that it would be foolhardy and perhaps dangerous and tantamount to bad parenting to try to move to and live in certain parts of the country. In my experience, families with gay parents above all want to fit in and be part of their communities and successfully raise healthy and well-adjusted children.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How is allowing an adoption "forcing" anything? Nobody is suggesting forcing gay adoption; just permitting it. When you have a majoritarian norm that's based on habit rather than rationality, the only way to change it is to show that the old norm isn't the only way of seeing things and showing that the world won't end if that norm is changed.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I was referring to the response to this:
    The idea being, as I understand it, that straight couples should be first in line because "there will be a certain stigma attached to a child at school with gay parents." To which I responded, that allowing that factor to force us to prioritize straight couples would be counterproductive.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah. My bad, as they say.