Why isnt Special FX's treated like art?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by spring_warm, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spring_warm Jedi Knight

star 2
    Why is saying a movie is "All fx" a bad thing? I find FX to be extremely beautiful in some cases. Why is it treated like it doesnt matter at all? And that its shallow too! For a movie thats all about imagagry, shouldnt fx be more important then dialgoue? because as GL says starwars is really a silent movie

And no im not saying all fx is art!
  2. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    Whilst film is a visual art, its main purpose is to tell a story and to draw in the audience.

I appreciate the art of FX but part of that art imho involves it being a part of the whole and a subtle part at that.

A film dedicated purely to FX rather than plot and dialogue risks becoming nothing more than a marketing tool for the technology. SW avoids this because of its nature - these are styled on 50's B movies with all that that implies, i.e. stiff corny dialogue, horrendous accents, etc. It's all part of the SW charm :)
  3. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would definatly make that argument that FX are art and for the most part treated so.

I guess I can't say that all effects are art. CGI character animation, "creature FX", Matte painting. These are all art. No one could make the argument that animation, scultpture, or painting aren't art. Just because these forms of those things are used in movie making doesn't diminish the artistic talent and motivation that go into creating them.

On the other hand. I don't think you could really say that a traveling matte (blue screens), for example, is art. There may be some art and skill involved in doing a good one but at its core its a technical aspect.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.