main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why isn't the EU going out with a Bang?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 9, 2013.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Oh, and anything that might conflict with Rebels. Or any of the spinoff prequel character movies. We're doing one about Yoda? You know what, the entire EU goes."
    Considering some of the worst offenders are square in the middle of the OT, I'm not sure why there's a interesting in 'preserving' that time period over, say, The Thrawn trilogy and the Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron era. But regardless, a 'partial reboot' is just slightly more likely than the movies strictly adhering to the EU - that is to say, not very.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Yuuzhan Vong and Abeloth are threats that arose after the films but showed some influence (only implied in the case of Abeloth) before or during the films.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    To answer the thread's title...

The EU isn't going out with a bang because Denning's already injected it with a lethal dose of slow-acting death. (Post-ROTJ anyways. Pre-ROTJ EU is still going strong; i.e. Kenobi)

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    time-bending, reality-twisting and rewrite history until the end of ROTJ would be a way for the EU to go out with a bang is my vote. Jacen Solo comes back from the dead (kinda! Maybe! time travels! Alt universe Jacen!) and tires to right the wrongs (jump through the entire post ROTJ EU history as it burns to the ground) and ends up erasing everything until the end of the yub yub song at Endor!

If Marvel gets the star wars license, I can literally see something like this happening as their first storyline. With solcits that read "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE! WE MEAN IT!"

Hell, I'd buy 2 copies! Considering the variant covers, I'd have to!

purplerain likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It would have to be a big event for it to have that blurb...if it wasn't something big and they advertised that on the first issue, then everyone would be saying "I knew it! I knew it! They're going to ruin everything!!!!1!!1!!"

Robimus likes this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Is Marvel announced to take over comics yet?

7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I know Dark Horse's contract is over soon.

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Except Marvel is all about continuity too.

And I doubt they want a repeat of LFL's incessant interference, which cost them the Star Wars comic in the first place.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

thenwe are on oposite sides here.Luke is REAL( at least as real as it gets as a fictional character.) Starkiller is someones video game wet dream.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Starkiller is played by Sam Witwer and has a very interesting story. I'd just like to see it completed.

As for video games.

Star Wars is a dumb pulpy science fiction adventure.

That's why it's AWESOME.

DigitalMessiah and Bib Fartuna like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel digs on their own continuity so I can see a scenario wherein they use their first kick at the can to blow up the Del Rey/Bantam/Dark Horse history and create their own. Marvel comics run 100% back in canon, whoo! Bust Jaxxon out of retirement!!

purplerain likes this.
  12. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I can't wait for Coruscant-616 ;)

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Where did you think that Jaxxon wasn't canon?

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I was joking, although the Marvel comics did go through their own ambiguous canon neutral zone period for awhile there. Anyway, Jaxxon appearances would skyrocket if Marvel got it back, comparatively speaking to the last few decades.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Still a good 15 months or so to go. Keep your fingers crossed.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    QUICK! MORE ZAYNE CARRICK!
    MORE AGENT CROSS!
    MORE JANNIK SUNBER!

17. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    That looks like lyrics to me!

[​IMG]

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To be blunt, as long as the paychecks keep coming in I doubt the EU writers will care. Terry Brooks when he did the TPM book admitted it was just to give his name great exposure (Starwars after Lord of the Rings thats quite a bit :p) and for some money.

Most of the EU authors are doing this for that reason only. Why do you think Zahn is writing Terminator books or KJA doing Dune !

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well KJA wanted to continue the series and be world famous for it.

He got his wish.

Just...not the way he wanted.

fett 4 likes this.
  20. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Marvel is all about ignoring, retconning, rewriting continuity to fit its (often nonsensical) plots. And all they´ve done this last years is plot driven at the expense of characters (sound familiar?).

And we´ll have galaxy changing events 3 times a year.

21. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

Paycheck is a good reason.

But I thought that Terry Brooks originally only did it so his Star Wars Fans children wouldn't kill him. :p

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    As an answer to the title post: Because there's no reason for the suits at Lucasfilm and Disney to alienate a built-in fanbase by declaring the out and out end of the EU. Far more likely of them to just continue publishing books as they were and gradually edge toward the older ones not being canon any longer, at least in elements that contradict the newer material. Sort of how the Prequels dealt with it. Just because the Clone Wars on-screen didn't play out how Zahn referenced them in TTT, doesn't mean that the entire series went into the crapper. I can see novels like Razor's Edge, playing it safe with minimal references to older material outside of the movies, being the norm for a while, before Episode VII hits, at which point both we and the publishers will have a much better idea of how much of the old EU will survive.

Also,

Sorry, man, but this is all I could think of.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, no, we shot that down in the other thread. They're brainstorming ideas for stories that will fit in with the new stories Episode VII et al, nothing more. Put the lid back on the panic button.

25. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Easy. Their real wedding happened just after the Ewok song celebration. Their wedding at the end of Courtship was a shadow wedding.

Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin were the kids they showed to the public. The other five or six or sixteen uterus droppings were the shadow children, hidden in secret for backup purposes.

At least one of the shadow kids was probably named Shmy, and another Quin Gun Bin.

Yup, you guessed it: shadow wife.

After Crucible, Luke tells Ben he was actually adopted.

So Luke married Cher, no big deal. As you can see, there's nothing they can't explain away. phricking quote tags

WMIRTUTSF and BigAl6ft6 like this.