main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why isn't the technology of the Gungan shields used in the OT ??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by I_AM_A_CLONER, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    if you think about the big battle in TPM the gungans used energy shields to repel blaster bolts from the droids.....now if TPM takes place 30 years before ANH then how come some sort of technology based around the gungan energy shields is not used in the OT ?? .....it worked in TPM so you would think they would have it in the battles in the OT........

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It didn't work THAT well in TPM, did it? The generator got blown up quickly enough, and it didn't keep out the advancing armies.

SW seems to show us you can't rely on deflector shields! (Think of ANH and how the small ships break through the shield...)

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Good point, Adam. As is expected, of course.

Amber: Think of a letter.
    Lindsi: Seven! Oh, wait, that's a color!

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Most of the OT battles were in space, not on land, and the land battles moved to fast for one shield to be able to cover all.

5. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    They did have it in the OT, on Hoth; it was just large enough that it couldn't be seen easily.

6. micman75

micman75 Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    By the time the OT started they had developed the shield tech so that it would not be visible. Apparently the gungans couldn't get the purple tinge out of the shields

7. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Perhaps Naboo is oliterated and that technology never makes it off the planet.

8. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    not only on hoth do we see it but also around the second death star projected from the forest moon.

9. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Never thought of that one, but tis true ;)

10. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    i appreciate the responses and ideas...but i was actually referring to the personal shields that each gungan pulled out......yes i know that eventually they retreated but for a few moments in that battle they held their ground because they deflected the blaster bolts back at the droids......how do you think it would have changed the battle of endor (ground battle) if those personal shields had been used?

11. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    Apparently their little bond of friendship with the Naboo at the end of Phantom Menace didn't include any sort of technology sharing.

The secret stays safely within the confines of the Gungan society.

?

12. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    Unless something happens to the Gungans or Naboo. We don't see either in the OT. If something does happen it would explain why the technology is not passed on. Padmes (or should I say the Queens) army didn't have the shields or technology when they were trying to take back the palace in TPM. They definitely coulda used it ;)

13. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    My guess would be that there's no place in the OT where those shields would be a useful tool tactically. The only scenario it would be ideal in would be if you were under siege, or just trying to run like hell to get away from your attacker. The only place I can think of that might fit either of those descriptions is Hoth, and the Empire used AT-ATs, I doubt those little shields would be able to withstand the AT-ATs heavy turbolaser bolts. In ANH they might have come in handy on the DS, but they would be extremely conspicuous, and there's no real reason for Han & Chewie, Ben, or Luke to have them anyway. In TESB, they wouldn't have been much good on Hoth, not only because of the reason I stated above, but because they're large and unruly, and you'd have an easier time shooting down opponents if you were entrenched than if you had to lean out every time you wanted to shoot, then quickly duck back behind the shield. There was no point for Luke to even have one, let alone take one to Dagobah or Cloud city, and Han & Co. wouldn't need to take any to Cloud City, they were just having their ship repaired.

As for ROTJ, Luke was a Jedi, and didn't need one to assist him with Jabba. Leia & Co. were sneaking around, not something you'd want a big freakin' energy shield for. Same thing with the scouting mission on Endor, they would slow you down, you don't want to lug one of those things along on a scouting mission.

Chances are, the technology does exist in the OT, the fact of the matter is, it would rarely be a tactically sound tool to employ.

14. FalconInToronto

Jul 23, 2003
    My guess would be that there's no place in the OT where those shields would be a useful tool tactically.

Ummm...

How about the opening scene in ANH when Darth Vader and the stormtroopers blow the door open and kill all the rebels on the blockade runner? Woulda been great in that situation and all the lasers woulda bounced right back at the stormtroopers!

15. OB_Wan_Baloney

OB_Wan_Baloney Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Because George hadn't thought up the idea of the Gungans and their technology at the time the OT was written...

16. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I think that the Empire did not use shields since they had armor and that shields weren't totally necessary in the timeframe of the OT.

Rebels couldn't afford it probably.

17. FalconInToronto

Jul 23, 2003
    Speaking of the empires armour, how come the stormtroopers die with one laser blast to the armour? I thought the armour was supposed to protect them from laser blasts?

18. cool-hand-luke

cool-hand-luke Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2003
    Because Lucas didn't think of it until TPM.

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    cool-hand-luke

Great name and icon! [face_laugh]

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The shields in the OT are more advanced than the Gungan shields.

21. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Falcon: The armour has weak points (e.g. knees, elbows, armpits). Also, a powerful enough blaster can punch through, as well as several shots to the same area. It does, however, absorb some of the effect of the blaster, so if a shot does get through, it does a smaller amount of damage.

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    cool-hand-luke. [face_laugh]

I agree that the Rebels wouldn't have had the money... and the Empire didn't care enough about its troops. Everything was disposable to the Empire. It's a wonder the stormies even had armor.

23. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    well then those gungan shields sure do suck, i think technology declined b/w the PT and OT, not the other way around

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Naw, the technology is better, but it's no longer form over function. :D

25. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Why didn't the Rebels use those Gungan energy balls? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.