main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why it is the right thing not to call it "Episode VII"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by idontknowhowto, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idontknowhowto

idontknowhowto Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2015
    Found this article on the net, for those who are decrying the movie is not being called "Episode VII"

The more I think about the Star Wars saga, the more I question why they intend on referring to this film as Episode 7. To me, the Star Wars saga feels like a closed/complete story in a few ways.

Namely, the saga starts out with the 'prophecy', Anakin taking his first step toward becoming a Jedi and Palpatine taking his first major step towards galactic domination. The remaining two films in the prequel show their rise to power while the original trilogy follows Luke who trains and ends up bringing about their downfall.
    Over the 6 films we see Palpatine's Empire rise and fall, and we see Anakin become a Jedi, turn evil, and redeem himself in the end, thus fulfilling the prophecy. It isn't perfect, but it feels complete.

It just feels like a 7th episode would be out of place. I'm not against more Star Wars films, nor am I against a film taking place post-ROTJ, I just don't feel like the film needs to be called "episode 7" as it will no doubt have little connection to the 'overarching' story that makes the original six complete, narratively-speaking.

2. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    but the story isn't over. We're still seeing the Skywalker line. Until Luke, Han and Leia are dead (Assuming there is no next gen) they should be subtitled Episode 7,8,9,etc

4. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    They should call this trilogy episodes 10, 11, and 12... Leaving the door open for someone to make a "sequel prequel" trilogy of stories that discuss the 32 years after ROTJ.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This has been discussed quite a bit in existing threads. Locking this new one for redundancy.

And enough new threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.