main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why Lando should not have lead the Battle of Endor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anakin Starkiller, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    Lando... is an idiot. And obviously no one else in the Rebel Alliance was smarter as this suicidal order was not countermanded with what the Rebel Fleet SHOULD have done once they saw the Death Star's superlaser weapon was functional.

I don't know if anyone in the Rebel Alliance noticed but you can't aim the superlaser except by moving the entire Death Star. All the Rebel Fleet had to do is withdraw behind the Death Star opposite of the side with the big death dealing weapon on it. I bet dollars to donuts the Rebel Ships can move faster than the Death Star can turn. They were just trying to buy time until Han could get the shield down. Wouldn't it have been better to keep the fleet intact behind the Death Star and away from the Star Destroyers that were just there to keep them from escaping?

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't really think Lando's an idiot, he's a really good pilot so he can take a few risks.
    It wasn't Lando who was in charge of the whole rebel fleet, it was Admiral Ackbar, so Ackbar would have had to tell them to move behind the Death Star, but they didn't know it was operational until they had already engaged the enemy, so retreating would have still made the Empire follow them and they would have been firing at the back of them making them venerable, but they probably could have enabled their rear shields. But that's a very good idea!

3. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I think the Star Destroyers would have pursued them no matter where they went. I think Lando gambled that maybe the Death Star wouldn't risk blasting away Star Destroyers so by manoveuring the Rebel Fleet amongst the Imerial Fleet there was less chance the Death Star would fire on them. Admiral Ackbar could have easily ordered a retreat but they all knew this was there one shot - if they didn't destroy the Death Star there was no escaping the Imperial fleet.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the hologram of the shield is misleading- and it's one big shield covering the whole of the Forest Moon plus the Death Star, then one can't withdraw behind the Death Star without crashing into the shield.

I was wondering if "generals" can actually command Admirals in the SW universe. General Solo has been put in charge of fleets- such as the one sent to hunt down Zsinj- so was Wedge- he was put in charge of the Lusanyka Super Star Destroyer when he was a General.- maybe General Calrissian was "put in charge of the attack" meaning everything, not just the starfighter contingent- and was issuing orders to Admiral Ackbar.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    [​IMG]

Firstly, the DS2 shield does not also surround the Forest Moon. We're never given any indication that the hologram is wrong, either. :p

Secondly, Ackbar is pretty clearly in charge. He goes with Lando's plan because there aren't any other viable options. They're pretty well trapped between shield and starfleet.

The Corellian likes this.
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Lando lead gold squadron, not the entire attack.

DarthBoba likes this.
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Fans like Lando.

8. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Somebody obviously didn't tell you about his little maneuver at the Battle of Tanaab.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They do have to get clearance for the shield to be deactivated so they can land on Endor.

Though I suppose the shuttle could have landed in that tiny circle on the surface of Endor, that the hologram shield does cover.

10. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I never understood why Han went to Endor and Lando ran the space battle with the Falcon.

11. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Lando was a better space battle tactician I guess.

12. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    The way I've alway seen it is that, as stated above, Lando thought that by getting closer to the Empire's own ships, the Death Star wouldn't take a risk on firing upon their own forces. Which, granted, if Palpatine had been informed of that, I have no doubt that he could have possibly given the order to fire upon both fleets.

13. Greedoliveson

Greedoliveson Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2012
    Would have made for a boring spectacle, ships hiding behind the death star and Lando checking his watch wondering how long before Han would get the shield down.

DarthRelaxus and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Checking his watch...drinking a Colt 45..."Any day now, old buddy...you old pirate..."

EDIT: Actually, why do the Rebels engage in a full-frontal assault in ROTJ? The shielding is such that they could've come at them from the rear - perhaps a ragtag assault led by Lando coming from behind while Ackbar and co. swim towards the planet-destroying-thingy side. The battle of Yavin was smart - the base was hidden by the planet so the DS couldn't blast them.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    actually I'm not sure they could travel faster than the DS could rotate . the small ships might but prob not the big cruisers . and it was the big cruisers that were the target .

16. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    For that matter, why didn't Luke lead it? You would think the guy who took out the FDS would be involved with the aerial battle.

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I guess being unsure of Luke's whereabouts and return, they didn't include him in the battle plans.

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    it did feel a bit contrived .

obviously Lucas wanted 3 battles happening simultaneously so then it was a matter of who goes where .
    Luke had to fight Vader . But then the other 2 battles could've been either/or . In the end I guess Lucas wanted to have the original ANH team together for a while .

but Lando did seem a bit like Billy-no-mates . I think they could've put Chewie with him , since Han dumped him for big-buns .

19. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006

Chewie pretty much tipped the scale at the Battle Of Endor by hijacking the AT-ST. Without which Han wouldn't have taken the bunker out and the shields would have remained up.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I hate to be the one to break this to people but Vader killing Palpatine was a meaningless gesture thanks to the awesomest of all awesome people, Lando Calrissian taking care of business with the Millenium Falcon, a forty of Colt 45 and that little frog-looking dude in the copilot’s seat. Again, all Vader did was save his own kid which is something I do every day when they climb on top of the fridge and they aren’t pinning any medals on my chest. Luke or no Luke, Vader or no Vader, that Death Star gets blown up and the Emperor gets vaporized along with everyone else on that thing.

Quote this site.

http://tv-tastic.com/2012/05/04/sta...that-george-lucas-made-my-generation-believe/

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , I know but this isn't history , it could've been written in any number of other ways . Leia or Han could've hijacked the ATST.

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't really see Han or Leia swinging Tarzan style on a vine to get to the top of one to hijack it.

Yunners likes this.
  23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah 'cos Leia's never swung on a rope before .

oh wait ...

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    She was hanging on to Luke..

25. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    And she didn't have to climb a tree to do it.