main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why lucas said sidious is the most powerful force user

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by keko, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keko

keko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2005
    when and where did he said

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Doesn't the actual ROTS shooting script describe Sidious as being "50X faster" than any of the other Jedi?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    six years of windiness!

3. Merodoc

Merodoc Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Are you being serious? Just great. Laserswords, ray-guns, and now 50x faster jedi.

I can see why there are as many loose ends in the movies as there are. :oops:

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004

I don't think it did... [face_thinking]

5. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    I am tired of hearing how powerful Sidious is.

6. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    LOL

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    If it wasn't specifically in the shooting script, I know Lucas told Ian McDiarmid that he was 50X better than the Jedi.

That's the only explanation for how Saesee Tinn and Agen Kolar died. 8-}

I think we're supposed to assume Sidious is at least of a level with Mace Windu and Yoda in terms of swordfighting, and about as powerful as Yoda with the Force - as evidenced by their duel.

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    At first we thought Sidious was more powerful than everybody but after watching ROTS we know he gets his you-know-what handed to him twice, once by Mace and then by Yoda.

Sidious is not the most powerful Force user. He doesn't become the most powerful Force user if at all until all of the Jedi are destroyed. By the time Luke Skywalker comes on the scene, Sidious is not the most powerful.

9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Mace does not hand him his a$$, it's a trick.

And Yoda hardly owns him either

10. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I remember something about 3 Jedi dead in 10 seconds and senate pods flying everywhere...

11. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    I also recall Yoda stopping the pod, spinning it and then throwing it back at Sidious.

I also recall Yoda matching Sidious with lightning and actually throwing it back at him as well....

Besides all this, it's clear that the Skywalker's were the most powerful force users when they are able to reach their full potential.

12. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    I recall Yoda only stoping one pod.

I also recall Yoda running away from the fight with Sidious.

The Skywalkers were not the most powerful force users when they reach their full potential.

Look at what happened with Anakin on Mustafar! I'd say he was at his hieght and Obi-Wan left him without a few limbs.

And then there's Luke, Palpatine pretty much had him when he attacked him with his Sith Lightning.

13. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Anakin made a foolish mistake against Obi-Wan. He was bringing the fight to Obi-Wan the whole time until the end when he tried make that idiotic Force jump.

Luke threw his weapon to the side, much simililar to the circumstance of Mace Windu and Palpatine, the coward that he was, capitalized on the situation. Palpatine knew that Luke could destroy the Sith and Luke being the offspring of Anakin was a threat to him as Obi-Wan pointed out.

Sidious was not the most powerful. Just a MASTER OF THE DARK SIDE. That is all.

14. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005

Luke was far from his potential then.

15. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    I also recall Yoda stopping the pod, spinning it and then throwing it back at Sidious.

I also recall Yoda matching Sidious with lightning and actually throwing it back at him as well....

I recall Yoda got knocked on his butt the first time Palpatine hit him with the lightening. Sure Yoda stopped one pod, but Palpatine was flinging multiply pods at a time. Yoda lost that fight. He ran because he couldn't beat Palaptine. Yoda even says "Failed I have".

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, Yoda had to work hard to stop that pod too, and Sidious was laughing at him the whole time!

17. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Sidious could have handed Mace his ass if he really wanted too.

No one was owned in the Yoda/Sidious Duel, it was a tie.
    Yoda simply left because he knew that it was pointless to continue if he could not emerge the victor. That is to say: The battle was a draw, but Sidious won the war. See the distinction.

18. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Yoda fled because he lost his lightsaber. I think the battle showed us that Sidious was more powerful than Yoda during that battle.

Sidious was lying down for Mace to try and draw Anakin out to strike Mace down.

19. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    In the Becoming Sidious web doc Ian Mc Diarmid states that Palpatine is 50x more powerful than a jedi. SO we can assume quite safely he got this from Lucas.

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I also recall Yoda running away from the fight with Sidious.

Right after he blows Sidious's force lightening back in his face. I never understood that.

21. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    He takes quite a fall after that, as you might remember. He didn't have his saber anymore, either, which is really, besides force push, seems to be the only offensive weapon he has. If you read the novelization, it explains that Yoda can't win the battle. The more he turns up the light side power, Sidious turns up the dark side in an equal portion. They are at an impasse, Yoda fall down because he has the high ground...in this case it's a bad thing.

22. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    He didn't blow it back in his face; he contained it and it exploded and took out both of them, with Yoda taking the greater tumble because he wasn't secure in the pod.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think the point was to show the strengths of a Jedi in defense; Sidious probably would not have defeated Yoda, but there was no way Yoda was going to kill the Emperor....

and that's how Yoda failed.

24. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    At first we thought Sidious was more powerful than everybody but after watching ROTS we know he gets his you-know-what handed to him twice, once by Mace and then by Yoda.

What made you think he was the most powerful? The fact he used force lightning in ROTJ, or spoilers about ROTS? Yoda didn't hand him his you-know-what. All official sources say he was defeated, the Visual Dictionary says he was "overmatched", and Stover's novel says he didn't have what it takes to defeat the Emperor in combat.

By the time Luke Skywalker comes on the scene, Sidious is not the most powerful.

Why isn't he the most powerful? I thought it was obvious in ROTJ that he was 500 times better than Luke since he could have killed him so easily with force lightning and Luke couldn't block any of it. McDiarmid said that he's 500 times faster than anyone else in the Becoming Sidious documentary. In his Celebration 3 interview, he said that he appears to be the fastest swordsman in the galaxy and that he fights at twice the speed of light if not sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.