main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why make Anakin a 10 year old?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    it just made the jedi look bad in taking a kid that age away from his mother and hoping his fear of losing her would go away. i think anakin couldve been older without hurting his turn to the darkside. the way it is now it just makes the jedi, in paticular qui gon and yoda, look like jerks, or was that lucas' intention?

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Most jedi were taken from their families at much younger ages than Anakin.

I don't have a problem with it

3. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    yeah they are taken before they form attachments which is the point, anakin had formed attachments hence was already screwed up emotionally by jedi standards. what did yoda expect with his fear speech, for anakin to get better? also it kinda invalidates obi wans self righteousness at the end of ROTS

4. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I think Anakin's age was perfect. Most adventurous 15 year olds can't wait to be old enough to move away from home, no matter how much they love their parents. They're already learning to let go. So Anakin was taken away either too early or too late. It wouldn't make sense for, say, an 18 year old to be morbidly afraid of losing his mother. Not unless he was mentally unstable in some ways. It's perfectly normal for ten year olds to fear losing their mother, though.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    He was also a ten year old to show his innocence. If he was 18 years old, then there would already by a lot of anger and hatred within him. We really weren't supposed to see that yet in TPM. Making Anakin ten perfectly shows how he used to be an innocent child who cared about everybody.

6. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    I thought he was supposed to be 9.

7. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Because if TPM had started with Anakin as a teen, we would all be screaming that we wanted to see Anakin's childhood, and wanting to know why he couldn't give things up, and why he feared change, how he escaped slavery, how he was found, why he's different than the other Jedi, etc.

8. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    i just think it makes the jedi look bad because they knew he had already formed attachments, so what did they expect with his training?i think lucas couldve made anakin seem weak regardless of when he was taken away, and save the jedi from looking like jerks

9. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    In my opinion all of Anakin's ages throughout the movies were perfect.[face_mischief]

SN: He was 9 not 10 in TPM[face_peace] not that it makes much difference but still, I like things to be accurate.

10. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    I understand why Lucas made him 10 years old, to make him an innocent kid, and make you say to yourself, he is a cute little kid, there is nothing I see in him would make him turn to Darth Vader.

The downside, making a whole movie about a 10 year old doesn't leave much for an interesting story after he is discovered. He is too young, to have the love affair yet, to young to really get in some serious action, other than being young and naive in space. Great idea, just makes the movie handcuffed from doing anything interesting, thus really making AOTC the first movie we get to see Anakin do something 'jedi-ish'

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Anakin was originally going to be 12 or 13 but GL made him younger to show the seperation anxiety with his mother better.

12. DARTH_RAMA

DARTH_RAMA Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    Who givessss......

13. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    the point is anakin wasnt given an even playing field in whether he bcame a sith or not, like luke. he was already damaged goods

14. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    yes, he was. Being raised as a slave boy, and if you go with the Novel and Ian McDiarmid, occasionally mistreated by Watto.

Just like Adolf Hitler, who was "enslaved" and mistreated by his father. Coincidence?

15. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    when anakin turns though lucas says anakin has a choice like luke, but anakins fate was pretty much sealed, unlike luke, just because he was taken when he had already formed attachments

16. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    He had a choice, although the strains put on him are uncomparably harder than those that had been put on Luke. Nonetheless, not all mistreated children become murderers. This is the problem we encounter with a lot of criminals and mass murderers - we are left with mixed feelings. I can sympathize with him because of his childhood, I can understand how he came to be who he was in the OT, and yet this is no excuse for what he did.

It's a problem that's common in our real-life world - it is portrayed in a galactic proportion, of course, but the basic problem is the same. Why not bring it on screen in a sci-fantasy movie? - I don't see any fault on the part of Lucas with regard to this.

17. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    good point, i didnt think this was lucas' intention, i guess i shouldve known better. but you gotta admit these films arent nearly as fun as the originals because of that fact

18. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    I've given up to attempt reading Lucas' mind of what might have been his intention. I'm just trying to make my own bit of sense out of it. :)

I agree the Prequels aren't as much fun as the OT, at least the way I used to perceive the OT before the Prequels. But does this make them worse movies? - Not for me, at least. They have changed my perspective. All in all, the Prequels for me have given more depth to the OT and made them much better movies. For me, its like seeing an all new set of movies.

And depending on the mood I'm having, I'm able to watch the Saga as an extended tragedy, as an annoying story in which Palpatine successfully plays everyone, or as a fun story, when I'm in a mood that enables me to shut out the Skywalker tragedy.

The Prequels have added the first two options for me to watch the Saga, and they've given me the opportunity to watch the OT from a totally different perspective and make it even more fun in some scenes (such as Yoda on Dagobah, the droids with R2 knowing everything and 3PO having no clue - I've never found these ANH scenes so entertaining before the Prequels). So, despite being an age-old fan from 1981, I love the prequels. They have their fault, alright, but so has the OT.

19. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    it just sounds a little too deep for a star wars film, but it makes sense

20. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

He is.

I also think the age was perfect. And for all the reasons everyone said. He was innocent.

21. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    Don't underestimate the powers of the Maker. He extensively questioned psychologists on the possible impact of the "i am your father" revelation even before shooting ESB.

22. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Anakin couldn't develop attachments to his mother as a teen, so in order to give his story more depth and focus, Lucas made him a nine year old. When children are nine years of age, they are much attached to one or both of their parents then at any stage in their development.

23. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I think that's one problem with the PT bashers in general, who tend to dismiss what's said in the PT because everything isn't so clear-cut. Personally, I find black and white people and attitudes rather boring, much preferring shades of gray. I liked SW all right as a kid, because the original movies were meant for children, and frankly was disappointed in TPM and AOTC. However, ROTS turned me into a true fan, as opposed to someone who's seen the movies and thinks they're all right. Seein ROTS even made me like TPM and AOTC better, because I could see the whole story, as well as adding considerable depth to the OT, and especially Vader.

24. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    i just think the deck was stacked too much against anakin for him to realy have a choice. i like the idea better that he became greedy and selfish on his own terms rather than the one that was forced on him

25. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    If you had a person that was already evil what point would the prequel trilogy serve besides showing how many Jedi he can kill?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.