main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why most people don't appreciate the Attack of the clones!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by homeless_jedi, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    If you're really interested, you should try to find the source for 14% of Americans going to the movies once a week. I'd love to know where that came from.

The article came from the LA Times. According to their article they seem to be quoting statistics from Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc which supplies box office statistics.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    so basically people are angry if someone didnt like AOTC?

and where in the TOS does it say you cant disagree with others?

im angry too. angry that GL didnt make a better movie when there are about a million ways he could have. i am angry because i am a star wars fan and the PT so far is a dissappointment. not because its not "the way i envisioned it" but because the OT set a certain standard that people have come to expect from a star wars film. and the PT hasnt even come close. thats how i feel. thats my opinion and i think there are some pretty strong arguments to back that opinion up. you dont like it? too bad. im not the one sitting here crying that someone disagrees with me so they should close the thread, or that someone might get angry. im angry that people accept this poor excuse for a star wars film as acceptable and matches the high standards set by the OT. im not crying that people liked it. im sad that audiences have become so forgiving, but im not telling people they are not allowed to like the movies. good for them if they like it. im more discerning. hooray.

3. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    That's it? I was enjoying reading your diatribe :)

4. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Endboss, DrEvazan, I've resisted calling either of you trolls so far.>>>

I don't mind being called a troll. If I cared what you people thought, I'd be more polite when choosing my words to slam this rotten film.

<<<It seems that whenever anyone contradicts one of your arguments with facts you just ignore them. For example, I pointed out in an earlier post that most people DO NOT hate AOTC.>>>

I didn't create the title of this thread, so I never suggested that "most people" hate AOTC. I entered this thread only to express my disgust at the weak excuses being used by many of you to defend the fact that the new Star Wars isn't as dominant and respected as some of you would like, and finished well behind Spider-Man. I find it "laughable and pathetic" to argue that the lack of respect the prequels have been shown stems from TPM and AOTC being too deep and intelligent for average movie-goers. I feel these prequel films have been dopey kiddie flicks, for the most part, and so it's my opinion that many of the awful excuses you people come up with deserve to be slammed.

5. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah I pointed out for you that I was comparing apples to oranges anyway. Even if it's true that moviegoing has decreased on an absolute measure (I concede!) that's still a stretch to say that AOTC earning $300 million in 2002 is an equal or better achievement to ESB earning $250 million in 1980.

1) You still haven't proven that moviegoing has declined significantly, on an absolute scale, since 1980
    2) ESB still earned more than $550 million in 2002 dollars.
    3) ESB still sold twice as many tickets as AOTC.

Prove to me that the average movie 20 years ago sold twice as many tickets as the average movie today.

I have no proof but I did do these calculations:

Let?s assume that there has been a constant decline since 1946 from 46% to 14% here in 2002 of people seeing a movie once a week.
    That is a drop of 32 percentage points over the course of 56 years.
    32/56=.57
    That is a drop of .57 percentage points each year.
    1980-1946=34 years.
    34 x .57=19.38 percentage points.
    46%-19.38%=26.62% of people seeing a movie once a week in 1980.
    Population in 1980: 227,224,681
    # of people seeing a movie once a week in 1980: 60,487,210

Edit: Oh yeah, I hope you aren't quoting ESB numbers that include all the re-releases.

6. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    AOTC is not deep at all... obi wan and a few others told us everything that happens in AOTC 25 years ago, and they only needed a few lines of dialogue to do it.

that is my biggest problem with AOTC, why do we want to see the story that has already been told?

as an example i think it would have been much more engaging if it told us where the jedi and sith came from...

we know anakin is lukes father, we know luke and leia are brother and sister, we know obi wan trained anakin, we know anakin was lured to the dark side, so now the OT will just seem redundant if you watch the films in episode order.

show and tell us something we dont know.

7. sr_spielbergo

sr_spielbergo Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    you're a joke endboss. i take great pleasure in knowing that @ssholes like you didn't like the film.

8. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<i take great pleasure in knowing that @ssholes like you didn't like the film.>>>

Me too. I take great pleasure in not being a lemming.

9. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Both Endboss and Evazan are at least coming up with decent arguments and I agree with most of their assessments on AOTC, maybe not on TPM. Why do people have to try and belittle them when they are actually coming up with decent enough points?

10. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    that is my biggest problem with AOTC, why do we want to see the story that has already been told?

Just like I suspect of most bashers. It's not the story they want to hear about. It's not the way they would've done it and how they would've played it out in their own heads.

BTW, even GL has said long before the PT that Star Wars was about Anakin. So to have the PT be about anything else would be ludicrous.

11. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Exactly, foxbatkllr: they are about Anakin. But we know what happens to Anakin at the end just like we know what happens to every single one of the characters more or less. AOTC had an opportunity to make this very interesting though the only twist it managed to come up with was the side the clones fought on.

12. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    "Both Endboss and Evazan are at least coming up with decent arguments and I agree with most of their assessments on AOTC, maybe not on TPM. Why do people have to try and belittle them when they are actually coming up with decent enough points? "

They're "decent enough points" to you because you agree with them. The other side would probably say the same thing. The only thing I want to know is: Is DrEvazan really a doctor?

13. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Exactly, foxbatkllr: they are about Anakin. But we know what happens to Anakin at the end just like we know what happens to every single one of the characters more or less. AOTC had an opportunity to make this very interesting though the only twist it managed to come up with was the side the clones fought on.

Just because there isn't some insane twist doesn't mean it's not a good movie. ANH didn't have a twist and it was terrific. I think AOTC is better than ANH.

14. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Not just because I agree with them but because I think they are aregued well enough. You never see me taking sides with Ree-Yees, Binary Sunset or that Pupkin fella as their arguments are based on nothing.

15. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I would never accuse you of taking sides with that "Pupkin fella".

16. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    BTW, even GL has said long before the PT that Star Wars was about Anakin. So to have the PT be about anything else would be ludicrous.

I actually think this was the other way around. Lucas announced rough plans for the PT about the same time the Zahn trilogy came out (1990?). His quote was something to the effect that it would tell the story of Anakin's rise and fall. It was after that he claimed the SW story was always about Anakin. Yet when only the OT existed and the PT was just a Pipe dream it seems more like the story of Luke doesn't it?

17. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "BTW, even GL has said long before the PT that Star Wars was about Anakin. So to have the PT be about anything else would be ludicrous."

if star wars was about anakin then shouldnt luke have been the one to reveal to vader that he was his son?

and thanks for not answering the question: "why do we want to see the story that has already been told?

instead its the old, tired, and overused "It's not the story they want to hear about."

no its not. like i said i already know that story. its been told.

"Is DrEvazan really a doctor?"

do you know your star wars? you better watch yourself boy!

18. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    "so it's my opinion that many of the awful excuses you people come up with deserve to be slammed."

Sorry, but that's the kind of ignorant statement I'd expect from you. Simply because someone doesn't feel the same as you, they should be slammed. So your opinion is fact. If it sounds like a troll, smells like a troll, and looks like a troll, it's a troll. Unbelievable.

""why do we want to see the story that has already been told?"

Quite frankly, you don't know how Anakin was turned. You didn't know how Palpatine came to power. You don't know how and when he reveals himself. You don't know how the Empire was born. You don't know a lot of things about these movies. Quite frankly, when I watch the originals, they have more meaning because of what I've seen in the two prequels.

And he's right, because it's not the story you want, you choose not to like it. My suggestion, skip Episode III. You won't like it. Don't buy the AOTC DVD or TPM DVD. Don't buy the Episode III DVD, since you're not gonna like that either. If you truly don't care for the films or don't like them, simply move along and go see something else.

19. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    as i remember it, and i have not been able to find the quote, lucas originally intended star wars to be the story of R2 and 3PO... after all they are in all the films.

but "the adventures of luke skywalker" EDIT: also "the adventures of luke starkiller" END EDIT points to the idea that it may have been lukes story.

its not like lucas hasnt changed his mind before.

20. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    no actually its still his opinion.

21. Darth_Terrell

Apr 24, 2002
    Lucas has always said the films are about the rise, fall, and redemption of Anaking Skywalker. He's never said otherwise. As for the R2/3PO comment, now you're just being silly.

"no actually its still his opinion."

According to him, his opinion is fact, while others come up with lame excuses for liking it.

"as i remember it, and i have not been able to find the quote"

The reason you can find it because it doesn't exist. He never once said that.

22. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    seems like your the one stating things as fact DT.

23. Darth_Terrell

Apr 24, 2002
    Well, then settle the debate. Find the quote. Not once have I ever heard it stated or written by Lucas that these films were about the droids.

By the way, I'm not stating an opinion. Only going by what Lucas has said. Any self-respecting Star Wars fan has heard him say these films were about Anakin, and his redemption through his journey. I happen to think they were about both of them.

24. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Sorry, but that's the kind of ignorant statement I'd expect from you. Simply because someone doesn't feel the same as you, they should be slammed.>>>

I have no problem slamming an opinion that's so desperate and asinine. If you think I should, you're a PC creampuff and you shouldn't hold your breath while trying to 'reach' me.

<<<If it sounds like a troll, smells like a troll, and looks like a troll, it's a troll.>>>

*yawn* I'm a great big troll and I'm here to snatch your children from under my bridge. *yawn*

25. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    found one reference to the ides of the saga being from the droids perspective here on TFN

"Some commentators jump to the simplistic and extreme conclusion that at least one of the droids had a memory wipe, which would explain what is interpreted as their unfamiliarity with Tatooine and Kenobi. However, as explained above, the evidence of the movies doesn't necessarily support this interpretation. While one or both of the droids might have been wiped between the movies, this grim prospect seems unlikely in storytelling terms because were it true then the former droid personalities would have ceased to exist. Without continuity of character the presence of the bodies of C-3PO and R2-D2 in the prequels would be redundant. They would have no importance in the STAR WARS continuity and little importance in extrinsic audience sympathies. (Conversely, we should remember that Lucas has often stated that the saga is presented from the droids' perspective.)"

heres the link : http://www.theforce.net/swtc/preq/tpmcont.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.