main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Why Must We Duel? (Dooku-Qui-Gon)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthBladious, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBladious

DarthBladious Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2005
    Here is just a little scene I came up with regarding Qui-Gon and Dooku. I am quite new at this art so it isn't really an impressive piece, but its something I'd like to contribute. :) Hope you all enjoy.

Why Must We Duel?(PG)

?But Master, you must understand the reason why I do not wish to go through with this again.
    I do not like the practice of fighting you.?

The wide-eyed, clean-faced Padawan faced his Master with an expression of uncertainty all
    too clear, even without Master Dooku sensing it through the Force. His eyes shifted to the
    dark brown cloak on the floor before him he?d removed just one hour ago before the session.

?Oh, this kind of talk will lead you nowhere, Qui-Gon.? The wise Master put one hand on
    Qui-Gon?s shoulder, and his penetrating gaze was fixed upon the youth; here a certain
    connection was established. ?You must do it, and when you complete this task you will be
    proud of yourself for your accomplishment. I have gone through this exercise many times, and
    never once in the first few moments have I been successful, Qui-Gon.? His voice became
    mildly darker, but it was not intentional. ?One must never give up on their duties. This, my
    Padawan, is your duty. Now clear your mind and do it. Let us continue. No harm can be
    done.?

With hesitation, Qui-Gon Jinn closed his eyes very slowly, and inside he embraced the Force?s
    power, felt it all around him clouding the room like a thick mist. Dooku admired the boy?s
    appreciation of this essence of the great mystery, but he felt him too - lazy. Fortunately this
    trait of all beginners quickly diminished, giving birth to eagerness to begin their first mission,
    far beyond a training facility. He noticed the way Qui-Gon activated his weapon in a green
    flash, twisting it around and around, even causing it to pause for a few seconds between
    switching hands, and knew in his heart the Padawan had been taught well in his saber skills.

?Now when you complete this lesson you will move on to the more advanced lessons.? Dooku
    smiled warmly. ?And do give it your best; I know you have what it takes.?

?But I have been trying this for the last hour; I have only been defeated. Why is it necessary
    for me to continue on? I know you have faith in me but I cannot focus; though I ought to,?
    replied Qui-Gon, barely hanging his head more out of attracting attention from his mentor
    than actual hopelessness, which of course was not in vain.

Dooku stroked his dark, black beard, tangling the thin hair between his thumb and forefinger,
    pondering whether this exercise was too trying for the Apprentice. Qui-Gon had potential, and
    after all he had excelled in the previous tests. And it was clearly known by the Council it was
    true that he could do the things he thought he could not; he had demonstrated this in his last
    lessons, including the remote exercises. But he just could not seem to shift his emotions out
    of the negative and into the clearer positive attitude. There was simply too much going on
    with him.
    The child had adapted to the Jedi lifestyle as the others, but there was something more to
    this one; something no one could quite understand. He just could not seem to concentrate as
    a Padawan should. Qui-Gon now needed to complete the last of his saber techniques and
    there was no way his Master would ever allow him to leave those quarters until that was done.
    But could the boy do it?

?Qui-Gon..,? began Dooku, almost in a whisperous monotone. ?You should not try to do it; if
    you have the mindset to try there is the possibility of failure, not brought on by the conflict
    itself but by your perspective toward it.? He eyed the child as he spoke more words of
    wisdom, quite positive it was sinking in. ?But if you have the mindset to actually do it,
    meaning succeeding at the appointed task, you will find that your perspective toward the
    conflict will contribute to helping you succeed - do you understand??

Qui-Gon, grasped by this advice - once ag

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A thoroughly enjoyable look at young Qui-Gon and Dooku! :)

3. DarthBladious

Nov 26, 2005
    Thank you, Healer Leona.
    I didn't know if I had it in the right form to post here after I made the mistake of posting it before I read the rules. :( But I hope its not too bad.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Don't see anything wrong with how it's posted. :) :)

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    This was very well done.

I liked Dooku's adivse on trying vs doing. I guess some of Yoda's wisdom rubbed off on him after all.

Great job!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. DarthBladious

Nov 26, 2005
    :) Thanks, all readers. I appreciate your comments. It really means a lot to me.

7. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Interesting piece...I liked how you wrote Qui and Dooku.
    Nicely done =D=

8. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I also enjoyed this lil piece! :D Loved the interaction there between Master and Padawan. Great work!

9. DarthBladious

Nov 26, 2005
    Hey thanks everyone. I had a blast writing it.

I've been browsing through here, reading bits and pieces and I must say that there are great stories to be found. Hopefully I will be able to sit down and read some in their entirity while sipping some coffee. :) Its great to find these particular sideroads when I am quite sad or really feeling down, or when I want to know more of the SW universe.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here in this great SW community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.