main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why no 25th anniversary rerelease of "Raiders"?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Happy Ninja, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I've just been thinking. After looking at this months issue of Empire Magazine, and reading a really excellent article about the Indiana Jones trilogy for it's 25th anniversary, and listening to the Raiders soundtrack, why didn't Lucas and Spielberg decide to reissue Raiders of the Lost ark this summer for it's landmark birthday, like Lucas did with Star Wars or Spielberg did for E.T.?

I remember 5 years back rumours were rumbling that Raiders was going to be rereleased in 2001 for it's 20th anniversary, but Spielberg decided to go with E.T. instead.

I for one, having only being 2 years old back in 1981, would love to have seen this film on the big screen in all the glory it deserves, as I have never seen a theatrical screening of the film, and being that it is my favourite film of all time (yes, even moreso than Star Wars), it would be really thrilling to see it where it belongs!

Why, Lucasfilm, why? :_|

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I noticed it showing at an independent theater here in New York a few weeks ago, but yeah, I agree its an iconic film that deserves a wide re-release.

Unlike Star Wars in 1997, E.T. didn't do all that great in 2001 so that might be a reason.

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    It's probably because the Indy Box Set is only 3 years old.

4. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    This was at the Paris I recall. And they had Karen Allen there too. It was also at the Ziegfeld Theater earlier this year. One of tow remaining single screen palaces in NYC. And the prints of the Trilogy were in awesome glorious condition. The projectionist said that one of them had never even been shown before.

5. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    I'd love to see Raiders on the big screen so lets just hope for the 30th anniversary.

6. TheMcguffin

TheMcguffin Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Here are a few other screenings. A news bit from theraider.net:

To celebrate the film [and] its 25th Anniversary, brand new 35mm prints of Raiders will be shown...

The Raiders of the Lost Ark screenings take place at:

Tucson, AZ - The Loft Cinema
    on September 29 & 30, 2006

Vancouver BC - Vancouver International Film Centre
    on October 20 to 25, 2006
    Website: http://www.viff.org/tixSYS/vifc/filmguide/event.php?EventNumber=1224

TheMcGuffin (after all, I'm only here to advance the story)

7. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    The re-release of Star Wars was huge and the everyone wanted to release old movies but they didn't really hit it big like Star Wars did. Then theyidea to do it died down and I don't think studio's felt that it was worth the time and money. They could get a bigger/easer return off DVD sales.
    Almost any big city or some smallers will show Raiders time to time. Seen it in Atlanta a few times so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.