main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why no "Episode VII"..?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Beezer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Every movie requires people to know something about it. A lot of sequels have completely different titles and people are expected to know The Dark Knight is the sequel to Batman Begins. Maybe "Episode VIII" will show up in the advertising.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I don't think it will, and I think that's Disney's whole point. Knowing that this is the seventh episode in a series would likely scare away potential new fans. It feels daunting to go see a movie knowing there were six others that came before it. If, somehow, you've avoided seeing Star Wars all these years, you'd feel like you have to catch up on six movies before you go see Episode VII. But if it's just being marketed and advertised as Star Wars: The Force Awakens, that feels like a much more feasible spot to jump in and join the fun.

Lando Swarm and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    True, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't at least know the basic storyline of the six movies.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In the days of digital clocks/watches that use standard numerals and where people hardly pay attention when a movie credits its production date as MCMLXXVI is a largely ignored/unnoticed detail, I don't think it's fair to say that. The only series that I know to use Roman numerals in their titles would be SW and Final Fantasy, and I've heard third-hand of maybe another 2 or 3 others

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Really? You never heard of Star Trek? Or Ultima?

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Didn't know Star Trek used them, never heard of Ultima

7. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    If it was not in the crawl I would disappointed but of course it will be. I will still refer to it as ep.VII.
    Seagoat "What the hell's an Aluminum Falcon?" is my all time favourite Star Wars joke/gag. Even seeing it in writing makes me laugh.

Seagoat likes this.
  8. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I almost pointed that out but thought Seagoat was referring to currently running movie series. Yes, most numbered sequels used Roman numerals before the end of the '80s, but then it wasn't common yet for a series to go beyond three or four movies and then it became a kind of joke for comedians when they did. It was almost a gag to see the numerals in titles for Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street as they kept putting out editions with big sets of Roman numerals and even Star Trek got some ridicule for continuing on with V and VI.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am a little baffled as to why the Episode VII logo is so different from the rest on the official site. Even the OT have the PT-style logos on their pages.

The Bops likes this.
  10. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    It's probably because the website has different designers and they haven't had a chance to incorporate the new title into the existing site.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Eventually when the movie is released and stuff they'll probably have them all looking the same again.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    As long as the episode number is in the opening crawl, that's all I really care about.

Now – whether or not it will be on the case artwork for the Blu-ray release, that's another question… Hopefully it's there too.

13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Actually, I would prefer if all the numbers actually look the same as the way they're making VII look. I like that design – a little more of a retro feel, and matches better to the Star Wars logo.

Whoops – sorry for the double post.

Dewback likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    On the other hand, I prefer the ones that are currently there so I hope they just change Episode VII.:)

15. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Or ROCKY??

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I think the reason the chose to remove the episode option it because it would make the title boring & predictable.

17. rsdaddy141

rsdaddy141 Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2015
    I think it's cool without the VII. I don't think it's anything other then a throwback to the originals.It's still Ep VII,just is not being marketed that way.Just like the originals.

18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always felt I'd prefer it if it was like the Dark Knight trilogy, Twilight or Hunger Games: where they refer to the main name as the "saga," but they only use the individual names for each part. Agreed that there would need to be a certain amount of knowledge involved to get the right order, but it worked for all those-as well as Harry Potter-and the Middle earth Saga too.

Just:

The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, and so forth...

no episode designation, just the title. I'd love that.

Seagoat and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm going to guess the non-saga Star Wars movies will have a different heading, like the new "Star Wars Legends" heading for the Expanded Universe.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  20. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I have zero problem with minimizing the numbers in the marketing, but it does make me wonder how they will differentiate the spin-offs.

Then again, sometimes it doesn't matter how clear your marketing tries to be. I remember a coworker in '99 who, just says before TPM came out, still thought the little blonde kid in the commercials was Luke.

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not that big of a deal, that EPISODE VII isn't on the official marketing but I'd prefer if it was.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  22. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    It doesn't really bother me either way, but I felt it always made the posters etc. look busy and the full titles were a mouthful. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends hit the nail on the head when Mac and Bloo make a film titled T-Rexatron Alienwolf III, A Prequel in Time: The Unrelenting. ;-)

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    IMO, leaving Episode VII out of the title is more of an attempt to get back to the Star Wars brand. When you look at the originals, most associate the brand, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, for example. But when you look at the prequels, most associate the episode, Episode II: Attack of the Clones. I don't know of many who actually call it Star Wars: Episode III: Return of the Sith. So I think it's not being done to mislead the casual fan, or to abandon the previous formats. I believe this is more a case to get back to featuring Star Wars in the titles again.

24. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Most of the original films were advertised as STAR WARS Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi. While the numbering has remained as a constant, it was only heavily used during the prequels, for obvious impact. Here, though, it isn't really necessary. The Force Awakens doesn't need a VII for marketing, frankly.

25. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I think it's kind of a mix between how the OT and PT were originally marketed. One trilogy was "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi". Another was "Star Wars Episode I/II/III: The Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones/Revenge of the Sith". I'm fine with just "Star Wars: The Force Awakens", but I wonder how the standalones will be marketed now considering the change.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.