main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why no Luke and Leia theme in ROTS?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by qui-gon-kim, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Luke and Leia was made for ROTJ and it should stay there. I don't think that it would fit well into the movie, especially in the scene where they decide what to do with the twins. It would be misplaced there.

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well that's what i'm saying...Padme's funeral/ vaders's birth was music played in TPM for qui-gon's funeral. why? for all the new music that williams made..most of the music in the movie is stuff from the previous movies (and before you say it; of course not all of it.) oh another one..when the invisible hand drops out of control; we get music from TPM (from the podrace)..you see what i'm getting at here?

Hey, you know, I agree. What a stupid idea to use music from other films.

Let's petition lucas and williams to compose a new opening them for each film! What a dumb idea to use the same boring old theme for every opening scroll.... duh, guys, seriously it's soooo 1977.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Luke and Leia is one of the most beautiful themes ever composed and I was also disappointed that they wouldn't use it.

That's the way it is
    /LM

4. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I like the theme a lot too, but I would tend to agree with Sithman that in terms of the story motif the theme is meant to represent it does fit, but musically it doesn't really sound right.

It is an important theme, it represents the twins' realisation of their bond and their resolving to save their father. So its absence in ROTS is a little strange in that respect, but I can't think of a place where it would really sound better than the music we got in the film.

5. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    It could easily be used in the two last scenes, where Leia and Luke are delivered to Alderaan and Tatooine. Using Leia's and Luke's individual themes works well, but I think it would've been great to let "Luke and Leia" come into focus during the last minute of ROTS. To have one grand statement of the theme during the course of the Saga, since it's being played quite subtly in ROTJ.

That would, of course, crave a more subtle statement of the theme in an earlier scene. Preferably the one where they discuss the future of the twins.

I would have loved that
    /LM

6. jadailyTCU

jadailyTCU Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    I think Luke and Leia should have been used briefly in that scene. Of course, I also think there should have been a full rendition of the Imperial March in a few different spots in the movie. Meh.

7. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    all this talk about "Luke and Leia" not fitting the scene. Please. This is John Williams, the same man who took the bombastic "Imperial March" and remade it into a sad death scene cue in "Darth Vader's Death." If he'd decided to use "Luke and Leia," he'd have made it fit just as well as what he wound up using.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    But we will! Follow DamonD's path, we will! Listen to Luke & Leia over our RotS DVD, we shall. :p

Damn straight.

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
  10. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The OT may have used the same character themes from movie to movie; but never the same music. for example we never had the "the asteroid field" from ESB played again in another movie or another context.

Just because I'm anal about these things, Williams did do this in the OT. Specifically, he reused and re-orchestrated music from "TIE Fighter Attack" and "The Battle of Yavin" during many of the action scenes in RotJ and there is also an instance of music tracked in from ESB when Wedge and the Falcon fire at the Death Star II's shield generator.

11. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Specifically, he reused and re-orchestrated music from "TIE Fighter Attack" and "The Battle of Yavin" during many of the action scenes in RotJ and there is also an instance of music tracked in from ESB when Wedge and the Falcon fire at the Death Star II's shield generator.

In the former cases, all the music was re-recorded and never simply retracked (unless they were using different takes other than the final versions of "TIE Fighter Attack" and "The Battle of Yavin"). The latter case is still something of a mystery, considering that our soundtracks contain the music Williams wrote for that sequence, and the cue fits perfectly in the final version.

12. Drumstick

Drumstick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    Luke and Leia isn't really at the same standard as the rest of the SW themes. It's too logical, almost formulaic. While it isn't bad, it's definately not enduring enough to close off the SW saga. IMHO. A lot of people completely disagree, obviously.

At the same time, why not save a few themes for ROTJ? Some of the stuff should be fresh by the time you get all the way through.

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    And also, Luke & Leia isn't nearly as memorable as Leia's theme or Luke's theme. While it has a logical place in the storyline it is the two themes that the casual star wars fan remembers.

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think that the lack of this in RotS is a big mistake, in addition to not having a full-blown "Imperial March" moment in RotS ( something I would've minded less had it not happened in AotC already ), and the Original Imperial Theme from ANH. i.e. the "Stormtrooper Theme".

15. jadailyTCU

jadailyTCU Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah, I would've minded the lack of a full Imperial March in RotS a lot less had it not been used in AotC.

And the one instance of a cue not being used where it should have been that bothers me the most is in AotC. The Asteroid Field cue should have been used in that scene with Jango evading Obi-Wan. Yes, I know, that was technically in the rings of Geonosis (at least, I think it was) and so technically was not an asteroid field per se. But I still think that cue should have been used there. It would have been a nice tribute to one of the most popular cues from the entire saga.

16. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    You're right. Even if it wasn't a full-blown usage of the theme, a little bar or two from it would have been nice.

I think it's fair to say, at least from my point of view, that the entire 6-part saga is rather unbalanced when it comes to themes that really would've enhanced the experience had they been used.

I can't say "should" have been used, because overall, I'm happy with the music and films of the prequels, but I was just looking for more cross-pollination of the PT and CT, since reusing the themes doesn't stick out as much as, say, its special effects -- which, between the two trilogies, are quite different, and not easily as "fixable" as music.

17. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    No way! If the asteroid field had been used in AOTC it would have cheapened the scene in Empire so much... Kenobi getting out of it the same way as Han is bad enough!

Why not recycle the whole OT then?

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Luke and Leia not memorable? Weird, cuz when I first heard it on a soundtrack, I was really surprised that it was from Star Wars. I knew the melody well, but didn't know where it was from at first.
    That, to me, is a sign of memorable music.

This is Williams' greatest failure
    /LM

19. The_SkyWolves

The_SkyWolves Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I think it would have worked very well while they were together, then switch to individual themes for their separation.

Honestly, though, I consider the SW Theme to be less of Luke's theme than the theme of the entire Skywalker clan. I don't think it quite fits Luke, especially at the end of RotJ. It's too happy, too loud, to brazen. Luke grew up, and I think he outgrew his own dang theme. He mellowed out SERIOUSLY.

The Luke and Leia theme is beautiful. I have a magnificent re-do of it with steel guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.