main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why no music in the Outlander Club in AOTC?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by acroyear7, Jun 16, 2014.

1. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Was it just Lucas couldn't decide on the type of music featured in the club? I always thought there should've been some funky galactic music or something in the background.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Agreed, I mean they had NSYNC and everything.

3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Eh, I didn't notice/didn't mind. The bar setting was enough of a throwback to the Cantina; similar music might've made it too obvious. Not all clubs have music, and there was honestly enough chatter and alien noises to keep it interesting, especially when the John Williams' score kicked back in.

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    It seemed more like a sports bar than a musical club.

Revanfan1, Alexrd and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It was at a really high frequency. Beyond the range of human hearing.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    No doubt he'll release a SE with Sy Snootles being CG'd in with a horrible music number completely out of tone with the scene.

Oh wait that was ROTJ :p

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

I liked many of the SE changes but damn that one was horrible.

I'd rather have an SE with Anakin breaking into a resounding chorus of "Bye Bye Bye" just after saying "Jedi business, go back to your drinks."

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  8. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    It's as much a sports bar as it is a night club, at least it was on that particular occasion. Music would have drowned-out the televised game(s). I think it'd be cute if future installments feature a scene where our heroes are briefly circumstanced into a pachinko-like parlor, or maybe a bingo night club for senior citizens of all walks of non-terrestrial life. No, really, I mean that. I think it'd make for fun Star Wars style environ à la jazzy cantinas and malt shop diners. However, something tells me that the current custodians of said franchise might be a tad too "sophisticated" for such things.

9. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    I seem to remember on the DVD commentary GL or someone says that they didn't want a specific musical theme in that scene because it would make it too reminiscent of the Cantina from ANH. I also read that they filmed the scene 2 different ways - one as it is in the film and another with the extras dancing to music (which would be put in later). But they liked the non-dancing version best so it turned out like it was in the actual film. I suppose it could also be so people aren't distracted by the music in the scene and concentrate on the Jedi looking for Zam. Maybe if there was some funky tunes in the background it would defuse the tension too much.

mikeximus likes this.
  10. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes I remember that from the Commentary as well.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's a sports and betting bar.

12. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I didn't even know that bar had a name! :eek: Was it in the AOTC novelisation or something?

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think the sound of the night crowd is music enough for the scene, which by the way is one of my favorites. I like how it's a nod to the cantina scene while offering an entirely different atmosphere. Luke is over his head the moment he steps into the cantina. Anakin is not the least bit daunted and even seems to part the crowd with his presence (shades of Vader indeed).