main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why no starlines in PT? Jedi Council Answer and huh?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Banal, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Q: Why haven't we seen the stars stretch into lines when a ship jumps to hyperspace in the prequel trilogy?

A: For the definitive answer, we turn to none other than George Lucas himself. Here's what he had to say:

"I think of the series as one movie. In order to keep the impact of the hyperspace jump in Episode IV, I have decided not to use it in the first three films. If you're watching them from one to six, you'll get the same thrill."

link here.

Do you agree with this? I sure don't understand GL's answer. I would love to have seen the starlines in the PT.

Thoughts anyone?

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Save it for ANH! When they are all together it will be nice to have suprises in each movie...

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with George Lucas on this issue.

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    I agree with Lucas too because you'd get used to the Starlines if they were in the PT

5. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I remember talking to one of my friends after we saw TPM and mentioning that I was disappointed that the hyperspace starlines weren't there. It's only a minor thing to me but I did enjoy seeing them in the OT.

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I agree with George. With the PT coming first, the OT is robbed of some true surprises. While starlines aren't really as quenching as "I AM YOUR FATHER" some things must stay special to the OT to keep the viewers imagination going.

7. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    This is crap. I have no idea what could possibly be surprising about a hyperdrive.

But alas, GL did remove the hyperdrive from AotC... :(

8. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I agree with GL.

9. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Well it's GL's baby, he can do what he wants with it. But I still would like to have seen them in the PT. If nothing else, to provide a sense of continuity. But this is not a big deal.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    You only see the starlines from inside the ship...

11. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    Technically everything should have had hyperdrive lines in it.

It was funny that ships weren't hyperdriving from Coruscant in AotC.

12. Krede

Krede Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    It was funny that ships weren't hyperdriving from Coruscant in AotC

What? I don't think I understand what you mean... Obiwan used the hyperdrive ring to jump to hyperspace when he left Coruscant.

13. Swingin Vader

Swingin Vader Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 1999
    Seeing the Starlines just makes it look like Star Wars. The way it is in the PT, it looks like they are blasting off to Warp drive. As far as surprises are concerned, come on! EVERYONE has seen Ep. IV.

14. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    It was funny that ships weren't hyperdriving from Coruscant in AotC - Pfft

What? I don't think I understand what you mean... Obiwan used the hyperdrive ring to jump to hyperspace when he left Coruscant. - Krede

What I think Pfft means is that Padme and Anakin were on a public transport heading from Coruscant to Naboo. So unless they planned on taking centuries to get there, when you saw the outside of the ship right before you segued into the scene of them eating, you see the ship traveling through regular space. In the OT, when the MF is traveling through hyperspace, you only see it from the inside and there's this crazy pinwheel pattern visible through the viewport.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    What don't you understand? His answer is as straight forward as you can get.

16. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Yeah, works for me.

17. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I agree with that and thought that was the reason long before the Official Site gave George's answer. The starlines in Episode IV will have more impact to future viewers watching the whole saga in order. A NEW HOPE will still be able to blow people away in the FX after the prequels.

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I agree with GL's decision. GL wants people to experience the movies from I to VI. There need to be some surprises kept for the OT. Besides, what cooler way is there to see the star lines from the cockpit of the fastest ship in the galaxy?

19. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "This is crap. I have no idea what could possibly be surprising about a hyperdrive."

I agree. I don't even remember thinking anything of the "lines" when I first saw SW. What's the big deal about some lines?
    Frankly, I don't care if there are lines or not, but the excuse of "saving" them for the OT sounds stupid to me.

20. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I agree. I don't even remember thinking anything of the "lines" when I first saw SW. What's the big deal about some lines?
    Frankly, I don't care if there are lines or not, but the excuse of "saving" them for the OT sounds stupid to me

Exactly how many films have you seen in your lifetime that show cockpit views of stars stretching into lines?

The starlines of the OT were something unique. It should stay that way.

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    It's not like the lack of hyperspace lines detracts from a movie, so I say leave them out of Episode III. It's nice to have new eye candy for each movie.

22. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "Exactly how many films have you seen in your lifetime that show cockpit views of stars stretching into lines?"

As far as I can remember, only in SW.
    I agree with you that it is original, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I much prefer seeing ships go into hyperspace from the outside ;)

23. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Please refer to the second line of my signature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.