Why no Y -Wings? (ROTS spoiler maybe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sheep21, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheep21 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Perhaps its just me but i have been led to believe over these past years that the Y-Wings were some the oldest fighters in the rebel fleet and were once part of the republic fleet before defecting.

How come we see no Y-Wings take part in the battle of coruscant? Surely they would have been around back then and at that time they woulda been pretty new and cutting edge?
  2. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Who told you they were created at that time?

Although you see X-wings in AOTC, so my the holy law of Star Wars Moviedom, by the sacred g-level canon which I don't even know what g stands for, it must be legit then. :D
  3. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    My guess would be the obsession with inserting new craft and technology in each film. They most likely reasoned "Hey, with the ARC-170's, who's going to look at a Y-wing?" or something of similar inspiration.
  4. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    In-universe answer: Y-Wings simply weren't use onscreen.

Real answer: originally there was going to be over thirty years between the end of the Clone Wars and ANH. Obviously, Lucas decided to change this, and he screwed-up a lot minor details in the movies and EU.
  5. sheep21 Jedi Knight

star 2
    its just somthing that i have come to assume.The OT:ICS shows how they looked before and talks of them 'dating back many years.'

It also says that Y-wings are now 'so heavily repaired that no two are identical.'

Surely it would take a decade or two to an entire production run of fighters to be so heavily repaired that no two looks the same?

I would have thought it likely that such a commomn fighter (and they are even in the EU) would have been part of the Republic Starfighter contingent at some point in its life.
  6. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Is there any source that conclusively says that the Y-Wing was part of the Republic forces? All of the Republic starfighters seem to be built by Kuat or one of it's subsidiaries or partners (Rothana Heavy Engineering, Kuat Systems Engineering). That goes for everything, right through from the gunships and original Jedi starfighters to the new Jedi fighters, and the V-Wings. There might be some exceptions, such as the fighters shown in the Clone Wars cartoon (which I always theorised to be manufactured by Cygnus Spaceworks, who we know are fond of designs with folding wings, including the Lambda class shuttle and XG-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat), but I would imagine that any other companies producing hardware for the Grand Army would likewise be closely affiliated with Kuat. The Y-Wings are produced by Konesayr (sp?), and lack the distinctive Kuat shape. I'm sure it's possible they were part of the Republic fleet, but I always assumed they were like the Z-95, just a fighter that was available to the public, and saw use in private security forces, things like that.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'd have rather had early Y-Wings than the goofy & ugly Eta-2's...
  8. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

And you didn't like the oversized cockpits of the new Aethersprites too.
  9. Alion_Sangre Jedi Master

star 4
    Y-wings seem to have been more of a private-venture design - maybe rejected by the Republic in favor of the ARC-170 and sold to independent groups feeling outgunned with the war going on. The only Republic-affiliated use I can recall was by Callista and Geith on the Eye of Palpatine sabotage mission, and that was after the Jedi Purge and the formation of the Empire.

However, I was wondering: if it takes three or four months after Geonosis until the Slayn & Korpil V-19 Torrent is ready for combat, what was the Republic using before that? I would assume given some EU comments (the old pilot in the TPM novelization and the entry in the HttE Sourcebook stating the Z-95 was the vessel of choice for defenders of the Old Republic) that the various Z-95 marks were the backbone of Republic-allied fighter fleets before the war.
  10. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    *shrug*

From AOTC, I'd say it's clear there was no central republic military prior to the clone wars. There obviously were system-level defense forces, and these with serious defense problems prolly had y-wings.
  11. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, we only saw one scene with starfighters (I think) in ROTS, and that was deep space involving a fleeing capital ship.

Y-Wings are rather slow, so they would be of little use in catching the ship.

Also, they are primarily bombing ships, so in a deep space battle, a bomber would be relatively useless.
  12. KaffeinE Jedi Padawan

There are X-Wings in AOTC? Onscreen or existent at that time?

More on-topic, they probably weren't using Y-Wings in any of the onscreen fighting.
  13. Kish Jedi Knight

star 2
    Have Ywings appeared in any non-movie sources?

I always figured they would have...

And Z-95s and Victory Destroyers....
  14. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Yeah, I was wondering about this too.

In fact, I half-expected George to stick Y-wings in RotS, showing that the Rebels were indeed using old technology.
  15. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Kaffeine: Yeah. It's an easter egg-you can see a TIE chasing an X-wing at one point during the Obi/Anakin/Zam chase scene.
  16. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Have Ywings appeared in any non-movie sources?

Quite a few, but especially the Rogue Squadron books.
  17. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    "However, I was wondering: if it takes three or four months after Geonosis until the Slayn & Korpil V-19 Torrent is ready for combat, what was the Republic using before that?"

Aside from the Z-95, Republic pilots fly Cord-class starfighters, according to Boba Fett #2: Crossfire. Several of these barely-described vessels chase Fett on Bespin.
  18. Dark_Guardian Force Ghost

star 2
    In Defense of Kamino wie see also another starfighter it was wgde-shaped like the Aethersprite, but was defnitely another design.
    i think it was flown by clones or republic pilots.

EDIT:
    And not everything was produced by Kuat:

The ARC-170 and Z-95 was a Incom/Subpro product.
    The PTB-625 and the NTB-630 were Subpro-Products.
    The Jadth-class Gunboat was produced by Incom.
    The Dreadnought-class and Victory-class was produced by Rendili.
    Consular-class LACs and CR-90-class corvettes were produced by the CEC.
    As mentioned before, the V-19 was pruduced by Slayn&Korpil.
  19. killfire Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe the rebels bought the Y-wings from the Klingons?
  20. sheep21 Jedi Knight

star 2
  21. raperks Jedi Padawan

What bothers me most is why do we see clones flying x-wings?

in that case we should see the empire using x-wings in the OT?

the empire and its troops wouldnt just give up their ships to rebels
  22. mrfootball Jedi Knight

star 2
    the x-wings in rots are PROTOTYPES. I bet the Naboo Starfighters are prototypes for Y-Wings
  23. jawajames FF Pacific RSA / Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    so where exactly were the X-wings in ROTS?

can they be chalked up to being easter eggs, just as the X-wing chasing the TIE in AOTC?
  24. Wes Jedi Knight

star 3
    How is the Naboo starfighter a prototype for the Y-Wing?
  25. sheep21 Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, the the cutaway PM:ICS of a naboo star fighter is completly diffrent to that of the Y-wing in OT:ICS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.