Why no Y -Wings? (ROTS spoiler maybe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sheep21, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kish Jedi Knight

star 2
    Have Ywings appeared in any non-movie sources?

Quite a few, but especially the Rogue Squadron books.

Actually I meant non-movie Prequel sources. :) Sorry for the confusion.
  2. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i think the earliest chronological reference to Y-Wings is a reference in CotJ to Callista flying a Y-Wing near the end of the Clone Wars.

anyone know anything about the two-man fighter Obi-Wan and Anakin take to Ilum in Jedi Quest?
  3. masteraleph Jedi Padawan

Do keep in mind that Y wings are properly heavy assault fighter/bombers, and so wouldn't appear in the fighter/fighter scenes. That's also why they're used for the first waves in ANH.

As far as not seeing them...it is entirely possible that they're an independent design. They show up quite regularly in the hands of EU third parties, while I don't remember a single time (at least in the books within a few years after RotJ) that Xwings show up in that manner. Z95s definitely do though.

Furthermore, as has been repeatedly pointed out in here, not one of the ships used by the Republic is built by Koensayer. Slayn&Korpil shows up (who later built B-wings), Incom (Z95s, later building T16s, T47s, Xwings, etc). Nothing specifically from Cygnus shows up (though I presume the shuttle carrying the Emperor at the end of RotS is made by Cygnus), and plenty by KDY. Koensayer doesn't ever show up though.

For that matter, neither does SFS. Do they come about later, or are they a monopoly Imperial company?
  4. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Bear in mind, what's outdated and cumbersome "now" was not considered such "then."
  5. johnthejedi24 Force Ghost

star 3
    I think Sienar fleet systems was called Republic fleet systems in the the old-republic era but it got changed during the empire era when the Empire took most of their fighter orders and it became pretty much strictly a military ship company/corporation and Sienar changed the name since the Republic no longer existed.
  6. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Those are not X-wings in ROTS. They are ARC-170s, for Agressive Reconnaissaince. Competely different from the X-wing-these are designed for bombing and long-range reconaissaince. While X-wings can do both, their primary role is vaping TIEs.

And we saw how well ARC-170s do in dogfights. Definitely not X-wings.
  7. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    >anyone know anything about the two-man fighter Obi-Wan and Anakin take to Ilum in Jedi Quest?<

We see a visual in the JQ comic. It looks like a horseshoe crab.

TC
  8. Sliders Jedi Knight

Ummm.... This may sound noobish, but where do you see a X-wing and TIE fighter in AOTC? Can someone please tell me? I mean, I know that it is in the chase scene, but when and where?
  9. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    They describe exactly where in the AotC DVD commentary, but I still can't see it even with that help.
  10. johnthejedi24 Force Ghost

star 3
    My bad, it was actually called republic sienar systems, and I also think V-19 Torrent fighters did participate in the battle of Genonosis, even though we don't seen them in the movie. That information is from the offical star wars databank or somesuch.
  11. hitmbig Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Excellence posted on 6/5/05 6:40pm
    Who told you they were created at that time?

Although you see X-wings in AOTC, so my the holy law of Star Wars Moviedom, by the sacred g-level canon which I don't even know what g stands for, it must be legit then. :D

/>

Where is that scene?/>/>
  12. johnthejedi24 Force Ghost

star 3
    It is during the speeder chase and they can being seen briefly as an x-wing being chased by a acouple of tie-fighters and they are going into a trench or something, it is very hard to see, is very distant and happens really quickly.
  13. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

It's before the skycars enter the industrial sector. There's an oval white sort of looking building middle of the screen. I think Anakin is diving hard, Ewan is shouting to pull up.

Look at the far left of the screen, there's three tiny shapes. I forget if it's 2 Xs and TIE or 2 TIEs and an X, but you have to be quick.

If you have InterActual, you can also slo-mo to see.

So . . . if movies are sacred "canon", it's fervently official, right? :D
  14. danielc56 Force Ghost

star 1
    mrfootball wrote:

I bet the Naboo Starfighters are prototypes for Y-Wings

This fan made pic (center image) shows a different heritage concept:

[image=http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/JediStarFighter-01.jpg]

[image=http://members.iinet.net.au/~glenn.crouch/wallpapers/RD2003%20-%20Jedi%20starfighter%20concept%203.jpg]

[image=http://www.techiwarehouse.com/gallery/data/534/534ywing-med.jpg]

Jedi Starfighter as progenitor to Y-Wings? I don't know if the image is inspired by something in comics, videogames, or just a fan design; but its cool nonetheless.

EDIT: It would have been cool to see this hybrid design fly alongside the ARC-170 and Eta-2. Much better design than the V-Wings in RotS.

danielc56
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Wow, thats lovely- I'd much rather have had the Jedi fly those than those fugly Eta-2's.
  16. mrfootball Jedi Knight

star 2
    "How is the Naboo starfighter a prototype for the Y-Wing?"

they look alike :D

"so where exactly where the X-wings in ROTS?"

the ships the clones fly in are PROTOTYPES, not the exact thing
  17. johnthejedi24 Force Ghost

star 3
    I don't think the ARC-170's are prototypes of the X-wing, they have a acompletely different mission description from the x-wing and are a completely different model, and besides I don't think the Income Corporation would have would use a vessel that is produced in the thousands as a prototype of the x-wing; I would say that that prototype for the X-wing will ot come until later on and it uses the popular Z-95 headhunter as a base for it. At least that is what I think.
  18. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    The most direct "prototype" for the X-wing is the ship that looks nearly identical to it as of 32 BBY, and that is the Experimental Academy Starfighter, as seen in the Episode I Adventures books.

That is what is likely flying through Galactic City in AotC ( well, for continuity's sake ), and the TIE is probably the Republic T.I.E. as seen in a recent Tales issue. ( That one story set a few years after TPM, with those ships that look like Acclamator-class Assault Cruisers. )

The Z-95 Headhunter and ARC-170, just by their design alone, clearly are inspirations for the future X-wing.
  19. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Unlock and bump.

"We have them in our sights."
  20. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080403.html

[image=http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/img/20080403_1_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/img/20080403_2_bg.jpg]

I have to admit that "new" fighter is pretty slick looking.

Although I'm not entirely sure we should have seen it in the Clone Wars series--it seems better suited to the III-IV intertrilogy series.

*The movies already showed the ARC-170, the V-wing, the Delta-7, the Eta-2
    *the original toon introduced the V-19 Torrent
    *and in other EU there's the Z-95 and a menagerie of lesser-known ones like the Cord-class, the Crusher-class, the NTB-630 naval bomber, and the PTB-625 planetary bomber, as well as various oddities half-glimpsed in the comics.

All are established to have been utilized by the Republic fleet during the Clone Wars. (The Z-95 is a little different because it was available before the war and was also sold to private security forces as well as to the general public ... but that's a technicality and a side issue.)

Obviously they each have different roles--interceptor, bomber, short-range, long-range, etc--but introducing an early Y-wing now seems a tad redundant.

I agree that it would have been really sweet to see some "spiffed-up" Y-wings kicking butt for the Republic with some clones at the wheel, but considering what George did give us, I just don't know that it fits anymore.
  21. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Thing is, I don't think it's an early version of a Y-Wing, i think it's the Y-wing...which is awesome, IMO. Frankly, given LFLs love of making connections between trilogies, I imagine one of the episodes that features the Y-Wing will involve it breaking down so that a clone engineer will have to remove the hull plating.
  22. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    Whoops ... didn't see your post before I posted this one but it does deal with the same topic oddly enough.

P.S. Here's an image from Incredible Cross-Sections of an OT-era Y-wing with all its plating on. (Some of its design flaws necessitated constant maintenance, so the mechanics just left off most of the coverings for easy access to the guts.)

The Clone Wars version obviously has even more extensive armor insofar as the entire fuselage/neck/bridge area has been expanded into a single big shape that shows some affinities with the V-wing design. Maybe over the years they learned how to condense the systems into a smaller amount of space.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/ce/Original_Y-wing.jpg]
  23. danielc56 Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks Rogue_Follower.

One of my old posts on this thread showed a fan-produced design based on the Jedi starfighter:

[image=http://danielc.bol.ucla.edu/starwarspics/Proto-Y-Wing_fan_concept.jpg]

It looks like the new animated series is going down a somewhat similar route:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/img/20080403_2_bg.jpg] link

danielc56
  24. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    I'd just as soon the image be made non-canon, or, since the Y-Wing is apparently a popular ship to hotrod, that that's a modified one. After all, the image isn't called "Y-Wing prototype," it's called "Fully Faired Y-Wing."

Frankly, I think it's a great connection for LFL to make, and I love that they are using what's already established to have fun instead of stepping on stuff, so...I say let them do what they want, when it's this awesome...
  25. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    I think it's a bit hasty to make one of them non-canon ... chronologically they are more than two decades apart and the latter can easily be the result of miniaturization and modification over time. Both can coexist happily.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.