Why no Y -Wings? (ROTS spoiler maybe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sheep21, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Count me in with the "it's THE Y-Wing" group. By the time of the OT, all the extra plating has been removed to make them easier to maintain, or there's been some hull plating revisions. But this is what we were hoping to see in ROTS- brand new Y-Wings, so that by time we see them in ANH, they look old compared to the sleek new X-Wings (a notion somewhat diminished by the ARc-170, but only alittle).

I love this...
  2. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Y-wing

According to the wookiee, the standard y wing was released too late to be used in the clone wars.
  3. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm in favor of the ICS "fully covered" Y-wing being just a different (newer?) model than the Clone Wars version. All use the same basic Y-shaped chasis underneath, but the Clone Wars one has extra shaped plating to make it sleeker, whereas the ICS version has form-fitting plating.
  4. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    SILENCE!

Again, it says "fully faired Y-Wing" which implies that the other Y-Wings are naked or half-faired.
  5. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    =P~

*runs off to by advance ticket to CW*

if only they were selling them now...

edit:
    i seem to remember reading in one sourcebook or something that Y-wings were left overs from the Clone Wars and considered outdated by ANH. personally i don't see any continuity issue here but then again i'm not really looking too deep.
  6. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    I could see the ICS Y-Wing as the baseline, with the new version as the enhanced capabilities version. Big governments will buy the top end one, and smaller planets and more cash strapped groups get the plainer one. Eventually parts and fairings get stripped, so you end up with the minimalist but rugged skeleton we see in ANH
  7. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    When you say "the new version" do you mean the later version or this new CW design? Because I imagine the one used by the Republic is the fully enhanced military spec one, and any later versions being de-enriched models available for civillian use.
  8. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish we could've seen Y-wings in the prequels, but prequel era ship design appearances are a bit... erratic, to say the least, though the blunt answer is that they decided to just make up a bunch of new ship designs for the prequel eras. I wish we could see some Victory-class Star Destroyers, as for decades we think those are the predecessors for the Imperial-class, and at the moment, its very hard to tell if they've even appeared in one Clone Wars era story, which I find extremely annoying. Instead its usually Acclamators or Venators, and after the Clone Wars, most of the Venators have vanished, it seems. The only Clone Wars EU reference for the Victory I can think of is from the New Essential Chronology.

Hm, by the OT era, I know Y-wings are old, but would Koensayr still be making them? I don't think it went out of business quite yet, at least not by the time of the X-wing book series.

And easter eggs aside, were X-wings in RotS? The ARC fighter can be seen as a predecessor to the X-wing, with the S-foils and it being a versatile starfighter rather than a specialized interceptor like the Jedi starfighters. Of course, the Jedi interceptor eventually leads to the TIE fighter in one of those ironic twists or something.

Though according to Wookieepedia, after the Clone Wars, the Imperials opted for quantity over quality, which is why they ditched the ARCs and didn't follow up in the X-wing designs. Of course, when the X-wing showed what a magnificent fighter it is, then the Imperials started working on quality starfighters too.

Although I wonder if the Y-wing would count as slow during the Clone Wars era. During the Rebellion era, its old, so its TIE fodder, but during the Clone Wars, its still sorta new.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    There were no real X-Wings in ROTS, outside of an easter egg (which can be attributed, if one wishes, to an acdamey training fighter of the era which looks very similar ala the Z-95).

BTW, the Victory-class did show up in Clone Wars EU- they debuted about midway through, most notably during Operation Durge's Lance headed by Grievous, where new VSD's were used to defend against Grievous at Duros (though they failed).

I believe they appear in Dark Lord as well.
  10. Xiphos Jedi Knight

star 1
    You can kinda see similarites between X-Wings and the fighters the clone pilots used.
  11. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Well, apparently, that's being retconned.

Anyway, wasn't that just a retcon to explain why they didn't end up appearing in Clone Wars material?
  12. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    The new starship guide says that the Republic and Empire never purchased Y wings. They were sold to planetary governments and private corporations.

Also, the OS doesn't call it a prototype Y wing in the picture itself, but the description above it refers to it as an early republic version Y wing. That doesn't mean it's the Y wing of ANH.
  13. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I've always wondered if Luke were in a Y-Wing, would he have be able to blow up the DS in ANH? I love the Y-wing. Hell w/all the others, X,B,E, wings, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the old Y-Wing. Still one of the coolest ships in the SW universe.
  14. Spoit Jedi Padawan

More importantly, where were the Z-95s? Wasn't it supposed to be the most popular fighter during that period?
  15. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    Perhaps it was on a more local level, but the major militaries didn't go for it for whatever reason.
  16. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Probably would've been easier, actually. When you're flying a bomber, your bombs go down automatically, instead of having to magically curve down...
  17. ATimson Force Ghost

star 4
    Seeing as how Red 1's did the same thing, I assume that's a configuration option for the torp launchers somewhere...
  18. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Nah, I think Luke's proton torpedo's fly out in front, and then turn down the shaft...unfortunately I can't seem to find it on YouTube to check...
  19. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    I think, but my copy isn't around, that Freedoms Sons and Daughters used Y-wings in Jedi Trial?
  20. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Pretty sure there's a Victory-class SD in Medstar too.
  21. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    HNN also mentioned that Incom and Subpro stopped making them just before the Clone Wars broke out... but the partnership ended up making the ARC fighter during the war itself.
  22. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    I'm with the people who think that the "fully-faired" version is the original production model. It seems like that's their intention, and I suspect that a "stripped-down" version would be indistiguishable from the planes that fought at Yavin.

The "form-fitting" fuselage, IMHO, could be a modification, to reduce weight and try and improve speed and manoeuvrability. Of course, once you do that, people will start realising that you might as well just ditch the armour altogether.

I also really like the design. This is the first Prequel spaceship I've been really excited about since Radiant VII. :p

I also agree that the Republic Navy in the Prequels needs more of the old C-canon ships - the Z-95, the Dreadnaught Cruiser, the Carrack-class light cruiser and the Victory-class Star Destroyer. There was also a chance to develop older ships like the Rendili Vainglorious-class cruiser that never seems to have been taken.

There's been a wide variety of stuff instead: HNN was very good at referencing the right sort of Expanded Universe stuff, and Matt Stover gave us an early Skipray in Shatterpoint, and had Kenobi using 1km VicStars as a mental scaling reference in Revenge of the Sith; but a lot of the time, it seemed like every new author introduced new ships we never see again.

We got three separate Hoersch-Kessel courier/picket designs in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, the otherwise unseen Cord-class starfighters in Boba Fett: Crossfire, and Subpro bombers in RotS:ICS; and Stover's Sienar/Incom Jadthu-class transport seems no to have been picked up by the other authors at all, either.

The one ship that seems to be appearing widely is the V-19 Torrent from the cartoons, which is okay by me, because I like them.

In part, the lack of the expected ships and starfighters can be rationalized by the lack of focus yet on the Navy, as opposed to the Clone Army and the Jedi: that's where things like the Dreadnaght and VenStar belong, and I'd imagine that the Z-95 is more likely to be an established fighter for non-clone Navy pilots and planet-based squadrons.

- The Imperial Ewok
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    [image=http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/The2ndQuest/Misc/Y-Wing-CW.jpg]

There's no way that's not the same ship as the one in ICS (outside perhaps the top mounted cannon, which makes sense)- just compare it to the one scan in this thread- every panel detail lines up with other panels. The OT Y-Wing literally looks like the second-to-last step in putting together a Lego version of this new "fully faired" Y-Wing.
  24. Jango_Fettish Jedi Master

star 4
    Great comparison there. They are without a doubt the same model, with the OT version going for easy maintainability and function over looks - not unlike comparing a factory model of a car with a stripped and gutted race car.
  25. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    thanks for the comparison Quest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.