main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why not an Anakin vs Obiwan duel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    No im not referring to the duel in RoTS, but im talking about a simple practice duel. The jedi do have practice duels with each other, but that is something we don't see in TCW.

I think it would be pretty cool to see a practice duel between Obiwan and Anakin in TCW.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It would be nice to see some practice duels.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wouldn't mind. There were some detailed descriptions of them in Karen Miller's Clone Wars novels. And it would tie in with beginning of the ROTS novelization in which Stover talked about how Anakin and Obi-Wan were known all over the galaxy as a Dream Team of sorts.

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW Rule 1
    Obi-wan vs Grievous
    Anakin vs Dooku
    Ahsoka vs Random Enemies

Huyang likes this.
  5. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I'd rather see Dooku training Grievous.

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  6. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah, but I would rather see experienced Knights and Masters show their skills.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin training Ahsoka would have been good to see but I think it may be too late for that, given what they've done to her character over the past couple of seasons.

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Watch Clone Wars volume 2 ;)

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've been calling for this for years. Obi-Wan vs Anakin, Mace vs Yoda, there's endless possibilities.

We saw some Jedi training in the Youngling arc and I loved it.

10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I meant by dueling each other, maybe as a demonstration for the younglings.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Not really. Dueling is an exercise to retain and improve skills, so there are stakes, but not life and death stakes. However, seeing the young ones practicing would be cool, but save it for another season. I've had enough of the filler arcs.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    There are lessons to be learned. A duel is very personal, very intimate, the essences of the duelists rise to the surface and secrets are revealed. Martial arts are a form of expression, that's why the word art is in there.

Training is a potentially strong storytelling tool, as seen in ESB.

Younglings, masters, Mandos, Sith, whatever, I'm up for any of them. Have Maul show Savage or even Pre a thing or two, if that's your thing.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Come to think of it, Sith training would be interesting especially if contrasted with Jedi training.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    And assuming they don't dumb it down, like they did in "Monster" by just having Dooku hit Savage with lightning over and over while making a clumsy reference to ESB.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Nothing is better than a dark side Rambo montage.

I'd pay to see that.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That would rule.

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW is done in a snap shot style so a training duel probably just isn't important enough to make a snapshot. It would be cool to see. Mortis has a little Obi-wan vs possessed Anakin.

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't know what this means (literally), but plenty of training made it into the ultra short, ultra entertaining microseries.

Esg likes this.
  19. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This. I think it was a wasted opportunity.

If the show needs filler episodes, then I would much rather see Anakin training Ahsoka, or Dooku training Grievous than the droid arc or "Shadow Warrior." [face_sigh]

20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Basically we see snap shots of what is considered to be important moment in characters lives. There is alot of stuff assumed to be happening of screen. That's not to say we always really see something important on screen.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Shadow Warrior, but other than that I agree with you.

In Brain Invaders, we had a few minutes of Anakin teaching Ahsoka, when she asked him if she should have killed Barriss when Barriss asked. I thought that was a great conversation; I'm not sure other Jedi would have given Ahsoka the same answer if they were training her, and I think that was part of the point.

I would like to see more of that, of Anakin teaching Ahsoka his personal interpretation of Jedi philosophy and demonstrating how it contrasts with the way the Jedi Council interprets the Code. We saw about 30 seconds of it in Shadow of Malevolence as well, with Anakin telling Ahsoka that they must obey Council orders but how they do them can be flexible.

Karen Miller's Wild Space had a scene with Anakin teaching Ahsoka lightsaber technique. It was early in her apprenticeship, and he was really impatient and generally an ass to her. As I said, that particular ship has sailed, and in those novels his teaching methods changed as he got used to having a Padawan. But seeing him training her to use a lightsaber would be interesting, especially if it showed him teaching her a particular technique at which he was best (Shien?).

KenobiSkywalker and CT-867-5309 like this.
  22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's called telling and not showing

Suddenly having a character duel wild for no reason exemplifies this

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    As long as they don't try to kill each other :p

24. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Would love a scene where Yoda is training younglings, Mace walks in the room and Yoda says "younglings, would you like me and Master Windu to demonstrate for you?" All the children cheer and get excited, and then Yoda and Mace put on a show for the kids.

I wonder if Jedi have practice sabers for training, ones that don't harm you when you get struck by them. Maybe they give you a little shock or make the part where you got struck go numb.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've definitely gotten the impression from EU material that training sabers exist and are designed as you said.

(Love your signature, BTW, and it fits perfectly with the book.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.