main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why not make new stand-alone movies instead of trilogies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Morsoth, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morsoth

Morsoth Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2004
    Many here talk about the possibilities of a new Trilogy, Prequel or Sequel (Episodes VII-IX or anything else) but why not the possibilities of Chronicles stand-alone movies? It can be an adaptation from the Expanded Universe novels.

I can be something like that:

- Star Wars Chronicles: Bobba Fett (Set just after "Return of the Jedi" and inspired by the The Bounty Hunter Wars Book trilogy)
    - Star Wars Chronicles: Old Galactic Republic (Set a the very beginning)
    - Star Wars Chronicles: Shadows of the Empire (Set between "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi")
    - Star Wars Chronicles: Han Solo (Set before "A New Hope")
    - Etc.

The Spin-of Ewoks movies works that way, and I think it's a very good idea. Those movies can be set in any timeframe of the Star Wars Universe, jumping after the OT, before the PT or between episodes or even set at the same time of another movie, and tell a story without falling in the "Trilogy" concept. This way, they can quickly moves to obscure backstories without spending 10 years in the making, with the chance to play with various look and style.

Do you think it can be a good marketing idea?
    Do you thing it can appeals to fans and non-fans?

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    With the mutation of the Two Trilogies into the "Tragedy of Darth Vader," this is the type of thing I'd very much like to see. It gets back to one of the original ideas for the films back in the late seventies, with the films being more independent of one another and dealing with varied stories and characters. They'd be made by different people too, with Lucas as a background overseer. This also has the potential to make the SW universe feel large again, creating stories beyond the edges of the extremely interlocked narrative and web of characters that currently inhabit it.

As far as marketing goes, well, a bigger universe means more, new, and different stuff within it: more ships, robots, strange aliens and Force-users. With their corresponding toys, etc.

I think people would embrace films/experiences like this - if they're well made.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This is what most likely will happen. Not the sequel trilogy or whatever some people dream of.

And with the new live action series, maybe they will release a movie (pilot).

4. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I thought they cancelled the live action series. Please tell me they've changed their minds.

5. ElevationNation

ElevationNation Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2011
    I don't think its canceled, but I don't think its in active production either. Somewhere in purgatory.

If they do a movie based on the TV series, I'd rather it come at the end kind of like what 24 is doing now, rather than a ramshackle effort like TCW movie.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In FILM, Gl originated The Trilogy. It comes from plays, 1. you introduce, 2. You put the characters in a bad place, 3. you resolve the conflict.

I would have LOVED if GL had skipped everything else and just returned here and there with a new SW film regardless of the Trilogy formula.

7. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    I'd be all for a cool idea like this. I see no reason why the SW film universe needs to ONLY consist of "the tragedy of Darth Vader" and one random animated Clone Wars movie. The latter of which only got a theatrical release to promote the series and wasn't truly a "movie" but a combination of episodes.

Hopping around the time-line (but staying within the established universe) would free up any continuity concerns and story restrictions. Look at all the fun the CW shows creators are having with the current series, and that's something that exists in a rigid framework with an inevitable outcome.

My guess is also that we'll see something like this happen before we ever see an Episode VII set after ROTJ.

8. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I like the idea of stand-alone movies.

I posted the following topic about "non-traditional" SW films, and for some reason it was blocked on the grounds that there is already a 'sequels' thread. I was not referring to sequels per se, as the type of movie I have in mind could fit in with any time frame in the SW universe, and could be completely new characters.

I'm reposting it here, as the movies I am referring to could be stand-alone movies in their won right, and not necessarily of the trilogy format.

So, what do you think about producing non-traditional SW movies?

9. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    It's an interesting idea for sure. But I'd have to pass. Not saying that it wouldn't appeal to some, but I like the traditional Star Wars approach. I'm not opposed to the odd stand alone movie here and there. But I wouldn't mess with the traditional aspects of the films.

10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I'd like to see a "Star Wars: Prologue" dealing with the origins of the Jedi/Sith conflict and the formation of the Republic. It would mean discarding Old Republic EU of course but I'm fine with that though I understand that others might not be. It would be a single movie (I guess you could do a "Star Wars: Epilogue as well) about 3 hours long.

As for "non-traditional" Star Wars movies, I think animation could be a good outlet for that. The original Clone Wars animated shorts come to mind. You could do a new series of shorts in different styles, or DTV animated features, perhaps adapting some EU material or creating something new.

11. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I'm all for non-traditional SW films. But the best way to do it would be to give it to different writers and directors and let them interpret the SW universe through their own eyes.

Hire a bunch of young up and coming directors and veterans as well like Lucas did with Young Indy but on a bigger scale(production-wise).

Allow them to be set in any era like an anthology set of films. Then put them on HBO.

12. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    A movie taking place in the pre-Republic or TOTJ era, with an ambient score, would be nice - as long as the PT and all prequelisms were ignored and avoided, of course.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Then I would not have any inclination to watch it.

14. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Agreed about new writers and directors. Although I think theatrical releases would be successful, HBO is also a good outlet.

15. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Well since we're talking non-traditional then take it a step further with a non traditional SW-type outlet like HBO where you're not restricted to a 1 1/2 to 3 hour limit.

16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I would want to try and get some good directors, and see what
    their interpretation of the theme is. I think it will be interesting, it is like taking a theme in
    film school, say, okay, everybody do their interpretation of this theme. It's an interesting idea
    to see how people interpret the genre. It is a fun genre to play with. All the prototype stuff is
    done now. Nobody has to worry about what a Wookie is and what it does and how it reacts.
    Wookies are there, the people are there, the environment is there, the empire is there . . .
    everything is there. And now people will start building on it. I've put up the concrete slab of
    the walls and now everybody can have fun drawing the pictures and putting on the little
    of mine they will want to do a much better film, like, ?I'll show George that I can do a film
    twice that good,? and I think they can, but then I want to do the last one, so I can do one
    twice as good as everybody else.

George Lucas to Rolling Stone, August 25th 1977

17. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Well, nobody's forcing you to. [face_tired]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.