main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why NOT send Anakin to kill Grievous?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Georgia, Nov 22, 2012.

1. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    According to the Revenge of the Sith novelization (I know some people don't like the EU but i'm going to present it anyway cause it does give somewhat of an explanation) Mace tells Obi Wan that he is the Master of the basic lightsaber form and that Grievous will be caught off guard cause he'll constantly be looking for something more (constantly overanalyzing). In the LOE novel, Grievous was able to analyze and come up with counters to Mace's style. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist. So essentially they sent Obi Wan cause he was the only one who could be sent.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  2. RamonM

RamonM Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks for the explanation.

3. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Whats the point of being a Jedi Master if you cant defeat Grevious easily...

Any Jedi master could simply force crush his skull and its lights out... I always thought It was ridiculous that Grevious, who isn't a force user killed so many Jedi.

it makes the Jedi come off as complete wimps.

Sitara likes this.
  4. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Interesting, because that's not quite how I read that bit. Mace said that both he and Yoda had chosen their preferred lightsaber styles to compensate for a weakness, but Obi-Wan was not compensating for a weakness when he used Soresu. I rather assumed that he meant that Obi-Wan didn't have that 'crack in the armour' that Grievous used to defeat others. I suppose it is a minor difference of interpretation.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    It's even more ridicolous in the Clone Wars Cartoon from 2003, where he fought 5 jedi at a time, 3 of them jedi masters, yet he was able to beat them easily...

Sitara likes this.
  6. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    I hated that cartoon for that. Killing 2 Jedi Padawans, severely injuring Jedi Master Aayla Secura and member of the High Council Jedi Master Shaak Ti while in process also defeating another member of High Council, Jedi Master Ki-Adi Mundi was ridiculous. I know that the cartoon was made for kids, but still it should have been better if it would have been a little more realistic, let's say that there was a Jedi Master (not member of the High Council) and 2 young Jedi Knights. But it's ridiculous as it was, especially considering that Mundi and Ti were in Top 10 most powerful Jedi of his time. As it seems, the only Jedi more powerful than Griveous were Yoda, Windu, Kenobi and Fistu (with probably Skywalker, Koon, Kolar and Tiin having a chance but not necessarily being able to defeat him).

7. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    I always assumed that his armor was enchanced with sith magic.

8. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Q: Why NOT send all the jedi to kill Sidious?

A: Good plot doesn't work like that, sorry.

ILNP likes this.
  9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    If the Jedi wanted Griveous destroyed so badly the smart thing would've been to send out Mace, Kit Fisto and Kenobi in an undercover mission to bring him down...

This would've solved the problem very easily. Also any of those 3 Jedi masters could defeat the General quite easily by themselves. Together him and his droids wouldn't stand a chance.

Lets be honest, isn't it easy to name many lone Jedi to bring Griveous down. Anakin, Quinlon Vos, Deepa Bilaba, Plo Koon. any number of jedi should handle him quite easily

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I get the impression that the Jedi are not numerous as the EU tells us, because if it they were, this war should have ended in a week.

But besides all that, it wasn't just Grievous himself they were concerned about, but his army as well. I imagine there were other reasons why the Council didn't trust him at this point that maybe had occurred during the middle of the war. And it's probably the main reason why Kenobi was still a General and Skywalker wasn't.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    10,000 Jedi is not very many when you consider 200 of them got their butts kicked on Geonosis.

benknobi1 likes this.
  12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What's wrong with what did happen? Obi-Wan was sent. Obi-Wan succeeded. Why are we discussing if this was the right thing to do?

ILNP and benknobi1 like this.
  13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Because the Jedi waited way to long to bring Griveous down... and if you actually watched the movies by the time they did defeat him it was way to late...

They should've sent Fisto, Kenobi and Mace much earlier on to defeat Griveous... You would've thought after the 20th Jedi he killed they would've smartened up..

14. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Mace fought and was unable to defeat Grievous. According to Mace, Obi Wan was the only one to send.

15. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Mace only fought Grievous in the 2003 Clone Wars cartoon, unless this happened in a novel, in which I haven't read that...

And if Kenobi was believed to be able to defeat him than 3 Jedi including Kenobi could've finished this early on in the war.

16. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Also, they were more worried about the Sith Lord than they were about Grievous. They (quite rightly) trusted that Obi-Wan could defeat the General and kept as many Jedi as possible back on Coruscant to deal with the Sith. Even then, it wasn't enough to defeat Palpatine.

I can think of various reasons why they may not have done this earlier on.
    1. Until Dooku was killed in ROTS, he was the leader of the Separatists, so he would be a higher priority than Grievous.
    2. Grievous was not very easy to track down so they wouldn't necessarily know where to send their Jedi team.
    3. The Jedi were spread out on many planets fighting the war (huge Galaxy and all that) so it would be risky committing their best generals to what would have been a very long drawn out search.

ILNP likes this.
  17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

Like I stated before, after Griveous killed his 20th-30th Jedi, you would think that a smart maneuver would be to take him out as fast as possible...

Yeah Dooku was powerful but he didn't kill near as many Jedi as Griveous did...

18. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I can see what you are saying, I'm just not sure how possible it would have been. I haven't seen/read all the EU stuff for this era so I don't know how easy it would have been to track Grievous down. If it was just a case of encountering him by accident (or him attacking them) the Jedi might not have been able to get their 'hit squad' in place quickly enough. It seems from ROTS that they had been searching for him for a long time and even the info about Utapau was unclear (Obi-Wan told Anakin it might be 'a wild bantha chase') so they wouldn't want to commit too many Jedi to what could have been a false lead.

19. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    I can give you one VERY good reason. Anakin is unexpectable. He could spread to an inferno and go totally murder if he wanted to. He killed Dooku by mostly anger. Palpatine gave him a little push. So what if his anger when uncontrollable?

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Umm, okay. You end up with a dead Grievous.

Oh, wait. We DID end up with a dead Grievous. Guess it went wrong - should have sent Anakin to do what Obi-Wan couldn't - umm, yeah. Bad mistake by the Council. Horrible error in judgment.

Edited to add: I think it's fun to speculate on what would have happened if something had not happened - for ex., Grievous escaped or killed Obi-Wan. But in this case we're debating something that was successful - I mean, nothing really changes in the context of the original post (it wasn't addressing what happened with Sids and Anakin had Anakin gone with or instead of Obi-Wan).

benknobi1 likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Grievous

22. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Général Grievous:p

23. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh my, was Grievous French? I never realised... :D

benknobi1 likes this.
  24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    One, why would they need a whole team of Jedi knights and masters to kill Grievous? Two, why do people have a problem with Obi-Wan being sent to go after Grievous? He got the job done.

ILNP and Valairy Scot like this.
  25. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Hilarious that Mace could defeat Sidious but not Grievous :rolleyes:

Sitara likes this.