main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why not show Obi Wan already talking to the Lars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JMaster Luke, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I was wondering would it have been better to already show Obi Wan talking to the Lars at the end of ROTS. We wouldn't accually HEAR what obi wan is saying, but we'd see their lips moving.

So when we see Obi wan, we dont start seeing him from when he first approaches them. But we start seeing obi wan as he's just getting done explaining everything to the Lars. But we just see their lips moving but we dont hear what they are saying. This way the end of the movie could still be silent.

This way it doesn't seem like the Lars just take Luke right away. When obi talks to them, we'll see Mrs Lar (forgot her name) with a shocked but sad look on her face (cuz obi tells them what happen to anakin. (Wether he says he's dead or turned into vader i'm not sure) And on Owens face we see a kinda dissappointed look. He's thinking something like (if only Anakin stayed her and not followed this fool he'd be alright)

Again we dont hear what they are saying, then we'd see obi wan asking the lars to take care of Luke. Mrs Lar agrees and takes luke and heads the other way facing the sun . While Owen gives Obi wan another look like he's dissappointed, and then joins his wife. Obi wan looks at the couple and then walks away. Last shot still being the Lars looking at the sun set.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    It's all implied that they talked. He couldn't just drop off a baby and go. I'm sure that the elapsed time was for quite a few minutes.

3. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    I think its safe to pressume that Kenobi called ahead and warned them of what had happened and what was going to happen.

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    This wasn't exactly meant to be a regular scene in the movie. It's part of a musical montage designed to link the OT and the PT together. Throwing in dialogue would have thrown that off a bit.

5. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Obi-Wan: Here's a baby for you.

Beru: Hello.

Uncle Owen: Get outta here.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    What Roland and Sape said. It's supposed to be more artistic than explaining something we know already.

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Think of the montage in The Godfather and if there had been one of Michael Corleone's thugs saying, "Yeah, take that. And that." and then back to silence.

8. Evil_Imp

Evil_Imp Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2005
    I assumed ObiWan already had that conversation with the Lars. I took it as they were already waiting for Obi, at the End of the Movie. he likely nade arrangements ,or visited them before he actually brought a Baby way out into the Desert , not knowing if they would take him. so i say the contact was probably made earlier than the delivery scene.

9. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't think so. The last thing Obi-Wan would risk is intercpetion of a mssage indicating he was alive, had Anakin's child, and the location to where he was being taken. This was unannounced I'm sure.

10. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    It's clear that Beru is waiting for Obi-wan's arrival. They knew he was coming and all about Luke. It's also great that Owen is off by himself away from the exchange and looking away from the Jedi. Kinda sets up the animosity we see in ANH.

Excellent job.

11. Evil_Imp

Aug 18, 2005
    I don't think so. The last thing Obi-Wan would risk is intercpetion of a mssage indicating he was alive, had Anakin's child, and the location to where he was being taken. This was unannounced I'm sure.

really^^^ don't think he may have came out and visited first?. not by sending messages. a personal visit?. it's not like they don't know he is out there in the desert somewhere for the next 20 years.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree that the way it was set up in terms of body language was right. But I think Obi-Wan would have been very unwise to send any transmissions other than face-to-face or risk death.

13. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    This is one of those thing that we don't need spelled out. Talk about spoon-feeding the audience.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Once they were in the Outer Rim, it would've been easy to send a transmission from space. Or at the very least, he contacted them from Mos Eisley. He did have to go get an Eopie to ride out there.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    No way, sinister. What about on Tatooine by simply OPENING a message from 'Sio Bibble', a Sith apprentice easily tracked them down? No communications at all. Obi-Wan knew that even back then.

16. Evil_Imp

Aug 18, 2005
    that's because he probably did'nt send a transmission. why is everybody so hung up on this?. He was on foot when he found Luke in ANH. so i don't think ObiWan has a problem with travelling the desert, he could get a Eopie and travel out to the Lars, to see if they will take Luke. no transmission. nice and neat.

17. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    But who would be listening in to the message?

The Sith didnt know where Kenobi was. No one suspected the Lars family. No one knew about the twins!

I couldnt imagine that Kenobi and Yoda would put the only hope of bringing peace into the hands of a couple without telling them first or preparing them for it.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In TPM, they were aboard the Nubian. Which was reciving a transmission from Naboo, where the Trade Federation was. If Panaka or Sabe' sent a reply, it would've been traced by the Federation's communications experts.

Obi-wan sending a transmission from orbit or from Mos Eisley is okay, since no one will be looking for a transmission.

19. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    He had to send a message. It's clear from the film that the Lars are outside waiting for his arrival. There is no conversation because everything that needed to be said is over and done with. They agreed to raise the boy, Beru is happy about it, but Owen is not. You can see all that without a word being said.

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Perhaps he sent it upon landing on Tatooine. I think anytime sooner and it's a huge risk.

21. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    If it makes you feel better, then we'll go with that one Sapes. Obi-wan didn't actually call until he was close enough to Force throw a tin can which he attached to a bit of string and his own can. He then sent his muffled message from at least 20 feet away before bringing baby Luke to their doorstep.

[image=http://www.eldonspecialties.com/images/TinCanPhone.jpg]

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/06-indiana-jones.jpg] Now you're gettin' nasty.

23. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    [image=http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviewimgs/a/adventuresindianajones_imgs/Indy2.shortround.JPG]
    Not berry funny

24. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The scene in question doesn't have to show much between Beru and Obi-Wan. He gives the lady the baby. Obviously, he told her that Luke was Padme's and Anakin's child and told her that they are both now dead but didn't give any details. I think the scene was done just right. To me it was self explainitory.

25. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Yes. Clearly Obi-Wan visited before. Probably he left Luke at a hotel in Mos Eisley or something. Or had someone watching him. Or maybe he just left Luke tied up to his Llama and went in for a talk. Then he said. "Ok then, I ll be right back with your kid"

Its very obvious to all that Obi talked to them in some form and then brought the kid at a later moment. This is a no brainer.

He probably said. "Hi my name is Ob----errrrr ahhhh Ben, yeah thats it. And I have this kid see...."

-T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.