main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why not show Obi Wan already talking to the Lars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JMaster Luke, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    Ok this is slightly OT so I apologize beforehand but I don't like starting new topics myself;

I really like the slight irony with the ending in ROTS. I mean here is Obi-Wan, a hero of clonewars, powerfull jedi master and yet he doesn't know how to raise a child. All that power he has but no real knowledge in how to raise a kid. So he has to give it to Owen and Beru. The task of raising the New Hope falls on Owens and Berus shoulders. And they are sort of the ordinary people in the GFFA. I think this was the single most brilliant way of showing how detatched the Jedi knights were from the other people and normal life. (well thats my interpretation of the scene only ofcourse)
    As for showing Obi and Lars talk, I don't know if it was really all that relevant. You kinda get the feeling that Obi-Wan will be bothering them in the future or at least watching over them. At least that's the impression I got. I allso assumed that Obi said something to Beru before handing over Luke.

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Oh lest just say that they found out that they were getting Luke when Obi-wan was only half a mile away from there home. ;)

The task of raising the New Hope falls on Owens and Berus shoulders. And they are sort of the ordinary people in the GFFA. I think this was the single most brilliant way of showing how detatched the Jedi knights were from the other people and normal life. (well thats my interpretation of the scene only ofcourse)

I think it's a great interpretation. It's kind of the same one I have about Owen and Beru.

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    It's an interesting thing to think about... how Obi-Wan asked the Lars... and maybe it will be answered in a future novel. But for the purposes of the film itself, it wasn't necessary to find out. We all knew that scene had to be part of the musical montage at the end, and almost everyone guessed that it would be the final image, so of course there can't be any dialog. It was short and poignant, and a great visual image to tie it to the OT.

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Here here.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I don't even remember if it was discussed in the novel. Hopefully there is something written somewhere about it. But for the purposes of the montage, I think it was the right way to go. It had to be the last scene, it was the only way.

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    And whats the deal with Obi-Wan taking a Eopie to travel there with ? It seems a used scooter would be cheaper on Tatoonine and much faster. Unless he roped it in the desert, maybe. And whatever happened to it ? Dinner, perhaps. :D

7. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Why are alot of you saying "not its best we dont have ppl talking at the end."

I said like 3 times you wouldn't HEAR them talking. you'd just see their lips moving.

We wouldn't see obi wan approaching the lars. When we reach that scene we'd already see obi wan infront of the lars and show him already talking to them. So you'd know he explained everything (or everything he was willing to share) This way we could see the lars reaction, but then seeing the accept luke. And also because we see obi wan explain the situation to the lars, we'd see Owens reaction of dissappointment in Obi wan.

I personally think its a great idea, and if done right it would of been a great way to end the movie.

8. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    They were obviously waiting for his arrival. He probably already asked them if they would be prepared to take Anakin's son.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's explained in the novelization. Yoda tells Obi-wan that training from birth is not the right thing. The twins must be raised by families, until the will of the Force brings them together. Then Bail volunteers to take Leia and Obi-wan agrees to take Luke there. Then he says that he will watch after him, like an eccentric old uncle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.