main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN Why not work in harmony ????

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthVater, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVater

DarthVater Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2003
    Guys and Gals, I have been a SW fan since the very beginning. Actually, while not wanting to disturb anyone, I have been a "space" fan since Buck Rogers and Rocket Man, and yes, even Captain Kirk/Spock. My daughter and I went to Celebration II in Indy and had a ball. Also went to Dragon Con last year. She has one entire room that is a shrine full of figures, posters, etc., etc. Ever since CII, my daughter and her friends have been interested in a SW club in Knoxville, but the scuttlebut was that the local groups did nothing but fight and bicker with each other. So they are planning to organize a club at Farragut High School. I suggested they look into the Knoxville chapters, and perhaps a subsidiary club could be formed. So I registered, and looked into your site, and frankly, have gained the impression, whether incorrect or not, that there is much discord locally. So my comment, question is this: Why in the world don't y'all get it together, work in harmony, and just have fun with STAR WARS???

2. cutiger

cutiger Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    DarthVater,

Please check your private messages.

3. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    The discord is not really between the two Star Wars organizations in Knoxville. So far as I know, neither group is at war with the other and I hope that never happens. More than anything, what has happened is some Star Wars fans not getting along with other fans that meet together (personal differences). Because there are are two groups that meet at different times of the week and as I said some Fans don't like other fans one organization gets one group of folks and one gets another.

It used to not be this way, but as groups of people get to know each other both personal friendships and personal hostilities will arise. It's just human nature.. Heck, social nature, at work. I still love Star Wars either way and I try as hard as I can to keep things civil here as I know the TSWCG leadership does. What may look like insults a lot of the time is joking around and because posting on a forum is very hard to put into proper context, it gets mis-interpreted. I usually try to at least phone contact Rod at the TSWCG when things get hairy to explain things that text cannot.

Your friends should come to an FF or TSWCG meeting sometime as well yourself if you are interested. Either group can always use new members. Besides we have two clubs as it stands, I'm not thinking that we need another but maybe we do. Good luck either way! ;)

4. cutiger

cutiger Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    I think that's a pretty good way to describe it, Jar Jar.

5. K9-Rod

K9-Rod Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2002
    Darthvater,
    Hey there, I agree with JarJar wholeheartedly. i apologize for the impression you have gotten of us bickering and arguing. We all realize how determential that is to the growth of the groups and try to avoid it......but we are human. We don't always succede...I know I have been guilty of it in the past...trying to do better.

Like JarJar said, come check one of the meetings, it's a little different than on the boards. Main difference is that as a general rule of thumb, FF meets on the first Tuesday of the month and TSWCG meets on the third weekend of the month. And even though both groups welcome any kind of SW fan, not just collectors, the TSWCG has a little bit of focus on the collecting aspect.

The other thing is you will see an average of 4 to 6 people that do most of the posting on each board but there are several more "lurkers". Both group have tried our best to get those lurkers to come out of the woodworks but the leves of interest are different. Yet some of those lurkers will be very good about coming to the meetings but it's like pulling teeth to get them to participate on the boards. This goes for both boards.

But really, come check us out.... it is the best way to see what each is really about and ask questions. Also feel free to e-mail any of us....

6. Jedi_Vol

Jedi_Vol Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2003
    I know I'm brand new to this part of the SW community but that doesn't mean I haven't been around the block a few times.

After spending 20 years moving all over the world in the USAF (and packing and moving and unpacking my Star Wars memorabilia several times) I find a job and decide to settle in Knoxville because I'm close to family! THEN I find a fanclub in town for my favorite movies (games and toys too)! I'm psyched!!! THEN I see these posts about the FF and TSWCG members not getting along, whether internally or externally, and I'm like: "I don't know if I want to be involved with these folks! Is this a positive way for me the be involved in the SW community with both groups? At the moment I'm not sure.

7. BushiFox

BushiFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    Eh. You can't really use an internet forum to base your opinion of someone on. I've found people are much more willing to say things over a computer than in person. *shrug*. Take it with a grain of salt. When the people meet up, they have fun. Both groups, from what I have seen in my fairly limited interaction, are full of really great and helpful people.

So, before you give up on them based upon a few internet flames, go to one of the meetings. An entirely different world.

8. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    What has happened on both boards in the past is not an indication of what is happening at meetings. Speaking at least for FF, the meetings have been a lot of fun and not in any way hostile or negative. As I had said before, some folks didn't get along, they have sperated themselves, and now things are quieter and the drama is fading away.

Through separation/isolation what have you, one of the goals made for 2003 is starting to happen:

"4.)Improve Communications and Relations
    between TSWCG and FanForce"

Both of these things seem to be getting better, so I hope that continues. As Bushi said, and quite well I might add, 98% of the issues have all been online anyway. Meetings are nothing like the forums.

9. Jedi_Vol

Jedi_Vol Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2003
    Ah. I knew going to a Knoxville FF or TSWCG get-together will provide some clarity. I plan on it but haven't been to one yet!

Any members live in Farragut?

10. BushiFox

Sep 16, 2002
    I live in West Knoxville myself, off Cedar Bluff and Middlebrook. Rod lives over in Murville, so he would be on the other side of you I guess.

Watch out for that Jar Jar fellow...he has shifty eyes.

;)

11. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    I'm in the Cedar Bluff/Middlebrook area myself as well... and like BushiFox said, ya gotta watch JarJar... he works for the cable company... and you know what kind of people THEY are... :D

Fenn

12. BushiFox

Sep 16, 2002
    Darthvater = Jedi_vol????

13. DarthVater

DarthVater Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2003
    No BushiFox, DarthVater is the one and only, original "Dark Father" and is not Jedi_Vol, but I do live in Farragut. I have been a "spacer" since the early 50's, and am probably one of the oldest, if not the oldest, SW fan out there in KV area - my wife even thinks I'm a little goofy - but I'm a happy camper when I wake-up, and can see myself in the mirror. I believe in the force, and believe it is surrounding each of us and can be, and has been, visualized using Kirlean photography. It has been good to see so many responses to my initial question. Indicates the group is strong. May attend one day. May the Force be with y'all.

14. Jedi_Vol

Jedi_Vol Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2003
    Nope DV I'm not as old as you but pretty close. I was born in 1961 so I was in HS when SW-EIV:ANH came out. I spent my hard earned money and saw it 15 times at the movies. Of course back then, in the late 70's, it was only a buck and a half! ;)

15. Bama_Trooper

Bama_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Hey guys, there is room for all kinds of SW clubs in the same area. The different clubs let people of different ages and interests better come together than the one big happy family ideal.
    There is always a rebellion in every Empire!

Vater-JediVol, don't forget about the 501st Legion in the region too. I think we only have one member who is under the age of 30, so you might find some interests of yours there also.
    www.501stso.com

Heck, ther is nothing to say that anyone cannot be a member of several SW clubs at once either.... most of the 501st are active in 2-3 SW clubs anyway...

As long as you have fun....

-BamaTrooper, TK-152

16. Alli

Alli Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    There are more members under the age of 30 in the 501st, Bama...Lots and lots of us :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.