Saga Why? Obi-Wan's thoughts after the council meeting during TPM

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by General_Kenobi_66, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Title: Why?
    Author: General_Kenobi_66
    Timeframe: During TPM, right after the council meeting.
    Characters: Obi-Wan
    Summary: Obi -Wan thinks after Qui-Gon tells the council that he wants to take Anakin as his padawan
    Disclaimer: I promise I?m just borrowing them! I promise I?ll give them back!
    Notes: I apologize for any typing errors; I was trying to type this while holding my cats, Yoda and Vader.

Why?

Why did Qui-Gon do this to me?

He turned me, his padawan of twelve years, away for a boy he?s known for less than a week.

Yeah he said that I was ready for the trials. Well sort of. He said I was ?capable?. I don?t think I?m the greatest Jedi padawan ever of course, but I would like to think that I?m more than ?capable?.

I always knew he didn?t want me. I always knew he took me back after Melida-Daan with reluctence. And no matter how good I try to be, I know I?ll never be good enough. Never.

Maybe this will be the perfect padawan he has always wanted. If having Anakin as his padawan makes him happy, fine, I can deal with it. But I don?t know what will happen to me.

They made it sound as if I am definitely not ready. Nobody will want a padawan who only has a very small amount of training left. No one. I know that much.

I couldn?t believe it when he said it. I felt like I went into shock as soon as the words ?I take Anakin as my padawan learner? left his mouth.

He looked at me like he wanted me to help him with the situation, and my first reaction was ?definitely not!? But I did it for my master of twelve years anyway. I stepped forward and told them that I was ready for the Trials, instead of blowing up at my master right then, the way I wanted to. No, actually, I wanted to hit him. Or tackle him. Either would work.

But of course I couldn?t do that in front of the council. I couldn?t do it anyway.
    I couldn?t and I wouldn?t.

But I sense darkness from that boy. He is powerful. Too powerful for his own good. And I fear that training will make him way too powerful. Dangerous. But of course, Qui-Gon won?t listen to me. He never has.

I am going to talk to him about it. He is coming to get me in a few minutes. We are returning to Theed. I think it?s a fool?s errand. We can?t win a war by ourselves. It?s impossible. It?s like planning our own funeral.

Qui-Gon has no business taking that little brat with us. Anakin?s just going to get himself killed. Then again, that would spare the Order the danger they are going to face if they train him. I know that is terrible to say, and the boy got us off of Tatooine and all, but I just worry about him. I worry quite often. It is a fault of mine I know. But I really worry about this kid.

I know I made a mistake when I left the Jedi twelve years ago. But I feel like I?m still paying for it to this day. I feel like Qui-Gon holds me at arms length. This would be alright if it was his nature to do so. But he seems to embrace every other living thing we come in contact with. Jar-Jar, Anakin. He even seems to like some plants more than me.

I don?t know if this is because of Xanatos, or because of Melida-Daan, or for some other reason. Maybe he just doesn?t like me.

Don?t get me wrong, He has been a great master all these years. I just wish he would show a little more compassion or even some little sign that he cares about me at all.

Oh well, I?m a Jedi and I don?t need compassion. He has been a great master and even if I have been treated like just a student, I can?t complain.

Well, Qui-Gon is at the door calling me so it is time to go.

I don?t know what will happen, but whatever is ahead, I?ll continue to do my job.
    I?m a Jedi and will be a Jedi until I breathe my last.

No matter what happens.

2. Alley_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    He turned me, his padawan of twelve years, away for a boy he?s known for less than a week.

That?s just your jealousy talking, sweetie, let it go or Yoda will be mad at you. You don?t want that to happen do you?

No, actually, I wanted to hit him. Or tackle him. Either would work.

Lol moment!

He even seems to like some plants more than me.

As angsty as that is? it?s still a lol moment!

I just wish he would show a little more compassion or even some little sign that he cares about me at all.

He shows plenty of compassion if you just open your eyes!

Oh well, I?m a Jedi and I don?t need compassion.

So that?s how you came to the conclusion that Anakin didn?t need any.

Good job, General_Kenobi_66=D=
  3. TorontoJediMaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm.

What Alley_Skywalker said about Obi-Wan not feeling he required any compassion leading him to decide Anakin didn't need any either...I think it's a little more complicated than that. I don't think it was so much that Obi-Wan felt he should hold Anakin to HIS own standards, but it was more like Obi-Wan genuinely couldn't fathom Anakin's emotional needs. Remember, Obi-Wan had been raised as a Jedi, in the Temple, his entire life. He didn't know anything else, and probably couldn't grasp the fact Anakin did need more.

4. Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Nicely done! Poor Obi, Qui was so caught up in the exitement of finding the Chosen One that he didn't think about his padawan...TPM was justa' whole lotta' miscomunication between those two... :rolleyes:.

=D= [face_peace]
  5. General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Alley_Skywalker:

That?s just your jealousy talking, sweetie, let it go or Yoda will be mad at you. You don?t want that to happen do you?

Yes, if you get Yoda mad at you you will wind up with quite a few bruises;)

No, actually, I wanted to hit him. Or tackle him. Either would work.

Lol moment!

Yep, I had to throw in at least one LOL moment.:D

He even seems to like some plants more than me.

As angsty as that is? it?s still a lol moment!

Yep, Angst:_| mixed with LOL[face_laugh]. And also Obi feeling sorry for himself:rolleyes:

I just wish he would show a little more compassion or even some little sign that he cares about me at all.

He shows plenty of compassion if you just open your eyes!

Yes, and I think Obi knows that, he is just hurt and not thinking straight.

Oh well, I?m a Jedi and I don?t need compassion.

So that?s how you came to the conclusion that Anakin didn?t need any.

It is difficult to say why Obi came to that conclusion. It is probably a blend of what you said and what TorontoJediMaster said.
    I think Obi really could not fathom Anakin's needs for compassion, and I also think that Obi figured that if he did not need compassion, then Anakin didn't either, and that is probably why he wound up at that conclusion.

Luminara_Kenobi:
    Nicely done!

Thanks[face_blush]

Poor Obi, Qui was so caught up in the exitement of finding the Chosen One that he didn't think about his padawan...TPM was justa' whole lotta' miscomunication between those two...

Yes, the movie had a lot of misunderstandings. Qui was caught up in Anakin and wasn't thinking, and Obi was hurt because of it.

Thanks for reading everyone:)

6. DancesWithBlasters Force Ghost

star 4
    This is a very good analysis of Obi-Wan's feelings during the scene. It most certainly rang true to my ears. Wonderful job!
  7. Kelli_LB Force Ghost

star 4
    Padawan, another great post. You did an excellent job putting into words the way Obi-Wan acted on screen. These were my favorite parts.

Yeah he said that I was ready for the trials. Well sort of. He said I was ?capable?. I don?t think I?m the greatest Jedi padawan ever of course, but I would like to think that I?m more than ?capable?.

Yeah, that's not exactly going to inspire the council to believe in him as well.

But I sense darkness from that boy. He is powerful. Too powerful for his own good. And I fear that training will make him way too powerful. Dangerous. But of course, Qui-Gon won?t listen to me. He never has.

Obi-Wan was feeling sorry for himself, but he was right in the end. :_|

I know I made a mistake when I left the Jedi twelve years ago. But I feel like I?m still paying for it to this day. I feel like Qui-Gon holds me at arms length.

It's very interesting that he still feels guilty for that, and thinks that Qui-Gon still hasn't forgiven him for it.

8. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Where you eves dropping in the Council Chambers because I think that is exactly what Obi-Wan would think.

Well done =D=
  9. General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    DancesWithBlasters:
    This is a very good analysis of Obi-Wan's feelings during the scene. It most certainly rang true to my ears. Wonderful job!
    Thank you:) , this plot bunny bit me while I was watching TPM a couple weeks ago. I got to that part and saw Obi-Wan's expression and wondered what he was thinking, and so, this fic was born:D

Kelli_LB:
    Padawan, another great post. You did an excellent job putting into words the way Obi-Wan acted on screen.
    Thank you master.:)

Yeah, that's not exactly going to inspire the council to believe in him as well.

No, it wouldn't.

Obi-Wan was feeling sorry for himself, but he was right in the end.

Yep, he was:_|

I know I made a mistake when I left the Jedi twelve years ago. But I feel like I?m still paying for it to this day. I feel like Qui-Gon holds me at arms length.

It's very interesting that he still feels guilty for that, and thinks that Qui-Gon still hasn't forgiven him for it.

Yeah, I always wondered if he ever really came to terms with that... [face_thinking]

Gkilkenny:
    Where you eves dropping in the Council Chambers because I think that is exactly what Obi-Wan would think.
    Maybe...[face_whistling]
    Well done=D=
    Thank you[face_blush]
  10. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Whoa - those were some intense emotions!

It's unfortunate Qui-Gon didn't take Obi-Wan aside and explain everything to him before they went before the council.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.