main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why Palpatine's Empire hate non human races so much?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Oct 13, 2012.

1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

If I remember correctly in the EU the Empire wasn't racist against non-white Humans Panaka became a Moff, and I remember a few EU stories with black storm troopers and tie pilots... not to mention many Maori Jango Clones continued to serve far after the clone wars ended. As for females there was Isard, Daala, and Juno Eclipse. I think the main reason they appeared all white males in the OT (I think I saw one Asian crewman on the executor :p) was to make allusions to the Nazis of WWII.

Now... as for speciesist, from what I've seen in some new-EU (Tarkin I believe?) that sentiment still seems to remain. (Separatist scapegoating)

However it seems the inquisitors operate outside the speciesist policies, possibly due to Palpatine's perceived usefulness of them. As with the case of Thrawn in the old EU.

But of coarse specisism was originally a work-a-round for the real reason being budget and special effect restraints, particularly in AHN where not even the rebels are alien.

2. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    I do not like the idea of the Empire being speciesist and I really hope the NuEU moves away from it.

It seems to be the case with 3 Alien Inquisitors (so far) and Mas Amedda holding such a high position.

DBPirate and Admiral Volshe like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars, one of it's many functions, is to be allegorical in the real world. You want to show that racism / sexism is bad. But having the Empire be racist & sexist in the fictional Star Wars universe seems a little too malicious and "real". So if you want to have an allegorical story about the Evil Empire oppressing minorities, you don't use actual honest to god real life racism because that would be nasty, but instead you swap in them not liking aliens, or the Empire being mean to locals, etc. to get the point across.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Rebels Magazine, the inspector sent to investigate Grint & Aresko in this week's issue, is also dark skinned and female.

That said, the new EU has the Empire enslave alien planets a few times. But there's nothing like that for "human planets".

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    In short: It's an easy way to show how evil they are. The good guys accept the alien races and treat them decently while the Empire treats them like bantha poodoo on the bottom of their boots, fit only for brute labor or extermination.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Was this ever established in the films or the new canon? I feel like the Empire being racist would just be jammed in there to make them seem more evil. In other words, very forced.

That doesn't seem to be the case right now.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In Lost Stars, there is a scene in which an entire species is enslaved because the leaders of its native planet opposed the Empire.

But...humans are sent by the Empire to hard labor in the mines for disobedience as well. So is it speciesism or just brutal totalitarian dictatorship?

8. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I always assumed humans in the Empire were oppressed as well, just not to the extent of other alien races. I believe in the EU it was implied that part of Tarkin's reasoning behind obliterating Alderaan was because a lot of human planets/populations felt "immune" to the Empire's wrath when they rebelled. IIRC in addition to the primary motives Tarkin had for destroying the planet as, seen in ANH. Tarkin also had the intention of "sending a message" to other potential rebelling human factions. Ironically this plan backfired considerably, as thousands of imperial officers from Alderaan defected to the alliance immediately, most of them bringing their crews and ships with them.

New canon mentions a long lasting political feud and rivalry between Eriadu and Alderaan, confirming there was bias in Tarkin's genocide.